Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Probably going to miss flight, best strategies?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist

I am flying ABQ-ORD next week. Due to a change my work schedule, I am likely to miss the flight. I am on the last direct flight of the day but there are (bad) connecting options later. I don’t want to cancel and rebook now, because there is still a small chance I could make the flight, and don’t want to give up my spot if there is any chance that can happen.

But I do want to ensure that I make it to destination (relatively) timely. I was considering buying a refundable ticket for later (possibly even for the next morning) and then cancelling it if unneeded. Is this allowable? I don’t want to break airline rules. Any non-obvious downside to doing this? Other strategies?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
If you book another itinerary that overlaps with the existing one, I recommend doing so on a different carrier. AA's automated systems may detect you have impossible itineraries and cancel one or both. (AA.com won't even let you book this, so you'd have to do so via a TA.)
Antarius, rickg523, AA100k and 2 others like this.

Last edited by USFlyerUS; Feb 23, 2020 at 12:03 pm
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
What if OP booked this without using their AA account?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
What if OP booked this without using their AA account?
I think the name and DOB likely would do the same thing. Catch it as a duplicate.

Pet peeve of mine..the OP is on a non-stop flight. Direct flights can stop on the route to the final destination.
Danwriter and AAir_head like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Do you have WN points you could use to book ABQ-MDW so you can cancel for free if need be?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Without knowing the exact dates and flights, it's impossible to be certain, but there is a good chance that a refundable ticket may cost more than changing the existing ticket. Have you run the numbers yet?

Presuming that this is work-related travel, given that it's a work-related change, doesn't you employer simply pick this cost up (presuming that you are not self-employed)?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Pet peeve of mine..the OP is on a non-stop flight. Direct flights can stop on the route to the final destination.
Correct, nonstop. Although technically it is direct too, as nonstop is a subset of direct
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Correct, nonstop. Although technically it is direct too, as nonstop is a subset of direct
Fair enough... I see a lot of posts on FB pages for some travel groups I'm part of-and see direct all of the time. Sorry it triggered me.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Without knowing the exact dates and flights, it's impossible to be certain, but there is a good chance that a refundable ticket may cost more than changing the existing ticket. Have you run the numbers yet?

Presuming that this is work-related travel, given that it's a work-related change, doesn't you employer simply pick this cost up (presuming that you are not self-employed)?
Existing ticket was cheap enough that it will be worthless after change fees.

Yes, work picks up cost. I am more worried about making sure I get on a flight and don’t get stuck in Albuquerque for longer than necessary.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
If you book another itinerary that overlaps with the existing one, I recommend doing so on a different carrier. AA's automated systems may detect you have impossible itineraries and cancel one or both. (AA.com won't even let you book this, so you'd have to do so via a TA.)
Good point. Perhaps I should look at one that wouldn’t overlap. Not sure how sophisticated their systems are.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Do you have WN points you could use to book ABQ-MDW so you can cancel for free if need be?
Yeah, maybe the best solution is to just book a refundable flight (either cash or points) with another carrier.
AAir_head likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Existing ticket was cheap enough that it will be worthless after change fees.

Yes, work picks up cost. I am more worried about making sure I get on a flight and don’t get stuck in Albuquerque for longer than necessary.
Given that those xABQ services to ORD, PHX, and DFW are often overbooked and looking for volunteers, it's best to have a seat on the flight you know you can make. If you can make the earlier one, you can try to SDC and it might work, but at least you aren't stuck with nothing.

A lot depends on how early in the day you will know when you can make it.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:24 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I think the name and DOB likely would do the same thing. Catch it as a duplicate.

I highly doubt airlines use name and DOB to catch duplicates...Lots of people have the same name and birthday. Sure it’s highly unlikely they’re on the same flight, but millions of people fly each year so it has to happen sometimes.

FF and billing info, maybe.

See the Birthday Problem: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
If you make it to the airport too late to make your flight but relatively promptly, AA will likely invoke the "flat tire" rule and offer you the next available flight. This could include the next day if there are no flights available that evening. Keep in mind though that they will probably not let you take a connection if you cannot be confirmed on both legs at the time of departure.

You cannot SDC because SDC requires the same routing, and you would be changing the routing (from nonstop to a connection). However if the flat tire rule is invoked, they will not require the same routing.

I agree that if you have WN points and there is a later ABQ-MDW flight, that would be a good backup plan.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:16 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
The last flights of the day often run late, too, so you should just wait it out and try to make it. So much could happen. Get there and see. If they don't rebook you if you miss it (which they probably will if you present yourself right away), then you can deal with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.