Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Against the rules to give up your FC seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Against the rules to give up your FC seat?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:40 am

Almost sounds like this passenger offended the FA somehow and the FA decided to get back at her (in an obnoxious and unnecessary manner).
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
I love how security is a supposed reason. Security here is irrelevant.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
If you are going to swap seats you should inform the FA. I would think most FAs would oblige and not have an issue. However, in this case the FA overacted and went on a power trip.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is a purely factual question. Did the FA approve the seat swap in advance?

As DaveNoble correctly notes, one is ticketed into a cabin and that is the end of it unless a change is approved.
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:28 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
It is quite clear to all of us that the only satisfactory resolution that AA can provide is to fire the offending FA. And that is the only way that people who react badly when they're caught out are ever going to learn to behave like decent human beings.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
It is a purely factual question. Did the FA approve the seat swap in advance?

As DaveNoble correctly notes, one is ticketed into a cabin and that is the end of it unless a change is approved.
The same is true for your seat after T45. Technically.

We can hide behind silly technicalities all day long, but a Y to Y swap is not taking your assigned seat either. Do you nag the FA for every little thing?

​​​
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
When you buy a ticket for a flight in a particular class, that is what you are buying ; there is no entitlement to swap around passengers between classes of service
Which portion of the conditions of carriage supports this view?
Spiff, ijgordon and Great_circle like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Almost sounds like this passenger offended the FA somehow and the FA decided to get back at her (in an obnoxious and unnecessary manner).
Seems not to be the case, going by what's written. The FA was addressing the passengers, presumably at meal time, and was addressing them by name. At that point, she simply let her know her actual name. That seems to be when FA went off.

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
If you are going to swap seats you should inform the FA. I would think most FAs would oblige and not have an issue. However, in this case the FA overacted and went on a power trip.
Looks like she did. As pointed out in the CEO's email, he reminded the FA that he had asked her about it earlier and that she said it was ok. She then said she had misunderstood what he was saying/asking.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
When you buy a ticket for a flight in a particular class, that is what you are buying ; there is no entitlement to swap around passengers between classes of service

If the person had asked in advance whether it would be ok to swap , the attendant would either have said yes or no - if asked in advance, the attendant's response might have been different or may have still have said no

Either way, it would have avoided the situation that the passenger created
Did you read the letter from Borden CEO David Sarsam?

I talked to the flight attendant, and reminded her we spoke when we swapped.
She claimed that she did not understand.”
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
MY wife and I have always switched seats , where I got the upgrade (1 seat left) and she did not.
Never had a problem, my wife says when the FA comes to take a drink order, that she has switched with me.. FA from F then comes to me, just to say what a wonderful husband
I am, and lets the FA working coach to ;make sure I am taken care of.
'Like with every business, there are employees that probably should not be working for that business.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
So, can somebody answer the question please?
Not asking for anecdotal experiences.

Is it against AA's rules to swap seats between F and Y?
Is it at the discretion of the FA?
Does it matter if it is a domestic or international flight?

A lot of FTers have swapped seats with no issue are per posts above, does it mean that the FA was breaking the rules for allowing this?

Last edited by carlosdca; Feb 13, 2020 at 9:20 am
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Its no surprise that AA has lost its customer focus. Their front line employees must feel empowered by management (or simply burned out) to feel its ok to act this way.

These stories are important as more data points, but I honestly cannot figure out why people still keep giving this airline so much business.

Until people start voting with their dollars, they have no incentive to change. What a mess.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca
So, can somebody answer the question please?
Not asking for anecdotal experiences.

Is it against AA's rules to swap seats between F and Y?
Is it at the discretion of the FA?
Does it matter if it is a domestic or international flight?

A lot of FTers have swapped seats with no issue are per posts above, does it mean that the FA was breaking the rules for allowing this?
Those are legitimate questions...for AA, not the forum. However, it does seem that the responses from AA Customer Relations indicate the swap should not have happened or been sanctioned.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rumboj
Those are legitimate questions...for AA, not the forum. However, it does seem that the responses from AA Customer Relations indicate the swap should not have happened or been sanctioned.
I'm unclear on this. The response reads as boilerplate verbiage.

I am also unaware of any provision in the COC that prohibhits this.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I have to wonder if this had not been a corporate CEO for a fairly large company (I certainly recognized the name) would AA have just sent Form Letter #2 basically telling the customer to go pound sand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.