Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DCA-JFK service reduction affected my trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DCA-JFK service reduction affected my trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by FromDC
Yup
The two BA services IAD-LHR are not merely a codeshare, but a joint venture. Think of them as AA for P&L purposes. LHR is the worldwide fortress hub for BA.

Living in the US it's easy to be a bit myopic. But, there is such a thing as connecting elsewhere too.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; US silver
Originally Posted by Often1
The two BA services IAD-LHR are not merely a codeshare, but a joint venture. Think of them as AA for P&L purposes. LHR is the worldwide fortress hub for BA.

Living in the US it's easy to be a bit myopic. But, there is such a thing as connecting elsewhere too.
Except that it's $1500 more pp than even Finnair, and it isn't even listed as a possible connection on the AA website for my dates.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Remember the number the number of narrowbody a/c that missing because of the Max. This forces AA to rationalize some routes. Given the frequency of DCA/LGA flights DCA/JFK only makes sense to be a casualty. Those E175s are covering routes that might now be covered by A319s, the A319s covering Max routes that made sense to downgauge rather than upgauge. Now when (and if) the Maxs come back online we will see what routes were being rationalized and which ones AA was being pushed off.

The only thing I would question is why afternoon flights may have been a casualty versus morning flights on that route.
silverthief2 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
The only thing I would question is why afternoon flights may have been a casualty versus morning flights on that route.
But that is the main question here. There's two flights a day and they both leave in the morning; the second morning flight in particular seems not useful to connect to anything out of JFK. Given that DCA<->LGA should be carrying most of the O&D traffic, it's very hard to understand what AA is doing here and why at least one of the flights isn't in the afternoon.
SK and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by jordyn
But that is the main question here. There's two flights a day and they both leave in the morning; the second morning flight in particular seems not useful to connect to anything out of JFK. Given that DCA<->LGA should be carrying most of the O&D traffic, it's very hard to understand what AA is doing here and why at least one of the flights isn't in the afternoon.
My thoughts exactly. It doesn’t seem to make any sense to me. I look at JFK to get to SFO and Europe, but the late morning flight is not helpful for that at all. There is no SFO flight until 4pm and of course the flights to Europe leave later afternoon/evening. Perhaps that’s why when I last took the flight half the D cabin was filled with non-revs wanting to go to NYC!
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chuck1
What AA has done to DCA-JFK is ridiculous. I mean I guess they figure you have DCA-PHL or IAD-LHR for Europe.
They used to have a couple of afternoon flights plus an evening one too that fit in nicely to trans-Atlantic flights.
In May for example they are running two flights DCA-JFK - 8:30am on a 738 and 9:59am on an E75. The early flight is too late to make the daytime connection to LHR. What good is either flight to anyone?

The return is 6:30am (738) and 12:02pm (E75). The 6:30am is too early for any of the S. America flights if one is trying to avoid MIA and the 12:02pm is too early for any trans-Atlantic flights.
Originally Posted by jordyn
Pretty clear that AA didn't design these schedule pullbacks with the impact on int'l connections in mind. Whether that is a wise choice is another matter, and we are pretty unanimous that it is not.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
In another thread they’ve apparently messed up even the DCA-PHL schedules as well....what are they smoking at HDQ?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:42 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by chuck1
Now I do see in July there is some sanity returning. I just checked a random date - July 15.
Outbound DCA-JFK 12:20PM, 2:55pm, 6:34pm, 7:35pm
Return JFK-DCA 10:55am, 4pm, 5:20pm, 9:45pm
I'm quite confident once the latest MAX schedule change for into August runs next weekend half these flights will be gone again.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Living in RDU I feel your pain. We're down to three flights a day to JFK, sometimes only two. I ended up with a six and a half hour layover at JFK last month on my way to AMS because of it.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Is this a slot issue? Although the reduction of 50 seat aircraft has been positive overall for passenger comfort, these routes seem appropriate for 3/4 times daily 50 seat flights. I am assuming there are scope issues involved as well.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by g289t
This post made me check my wife & daughter's July itinerary. They are booked on an AA flight DCA-JFK. It is in the evening, and they are connecting to an AA JFK-LHR flight. So far their DCA-JFK flight is still intact.
An update here: my wife & daughter's DCA-JFK flight just got axed. They were automatically rebooked onto an earlier flight, which is not going to work. I'm going to call to rebook shortly here. I'm hoping they'll let them depart from IAD or BWI on one of BA's flights to LHR. DCA was our last choice of the 3 DC area airports, but it was infinitely cheaper so that's what we booked.

I can see what everyone is saying about the schedules of AA's flights to JFK from DCA and BWI. They're pretty much useless for trans Atlantic connections from JFK. If they won't rebook onto a BA flight from IAD or BWI, I'll see if I can have them rerouted via BOS or ORD rather than JFK. DCA-BOS and DCA-ORD flights seem to be plentiful at the moment.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While I suspect that your wife & daughter will be quite easily rebooked onto one of the BA services xIAD or BWI (it is a JV revenue-sharing operation), if for some reason it does not work, you might also consider rebooking DCA-LGA. That is an hourly Shuttle service and while there is a ground transfer involved, it may be a better option than BOS or ORD (note that BOS is an hourly Shuttle as well).
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you can't get a nonstop, for July travel you might even be better off on something like DCA-RDU/CLT-LHR, to avoid potential thunderstorm-related delays in the Northeast. Even ORD could be susceptible.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:48 am

While I suspect that your wife & daughter will be quite easily rebooked onto one of the BA services xIAD or BWI (it is a JV revenue-sharing operation), if for some reason it does not work, you might also consider rebooking DCA-LGA. That is an hourly Shuttle service and while there is a ground transfer involved, it may be a better option than BOS or ORD (note that BOS is an hourly Shuttle as well).
Why would the ground transfer from LGA to JFK possibly be better than transiting at BOS instead? Even though you're going out of your way, I'd imagine that a connection at ORD is probably faster end-to-end since you have to give yourself several hours on the ground in NYC to safely make the LGA->JFK transfer. And obviously, if you have checked bags, the ground transfer is a huge PITA compared to any transfer within the same airport.

Having said that, I agree that AA will probably allow a switch to IAD or BWI. BA seems to be flying the A350 on the late flight from IAD, which is a nice option to have (especially if the family is flying business).
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:52 am

You got it! So an update to my update: after spending quite a bit of time on hold with BA (thanks COVID-19!), I was able to update their itinerary to what we wanted. It was no issue to rebook them on BA216, IAD-LHR nonstop. The later BA292 was offered and would seem more logical under normal circumstances, but two of our older children (16 & 13 year olds) are booked on TK188 at 5:00 PM that same day (it's complicated, but trust me, it's all good! ). We wanted to match their flight time as closely as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.