Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: End of Jan insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2018-19)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: End of Jan insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2018-19)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

In the past, AA would award partial 500 mile upgrade credits. Has anyone had success is receiving them this year? My wife came up just short of 4 upgrade points, and the counter has reset to zero.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by dickinson
In the past, AA would award partial 500 mile upgrade credits. Has anyone had success is receiving them this year? My wife came up just short of 4 upgrade points, and the counter has reset to zero.
I sent in an e-mail requesting this yesterday. I don't expect to hear back for at least a week.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:36 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by dickinson
I had recent success with a request of this nature. Just email AAdvantage Customer Service, explain that your wife logged 80% of the miles required for 4 upgrades, therefore it seems reasonable for your wife to receive 3 of the 4 upgrades. At worst, they'll say "no", but then you'll be in the same position you're in right now. In my experience, they say "yes".
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I just sent an e-mail yesterday, don't expect to hear back for a week or so. I was less than 1,000 miles from the 4 upgrades, and would have easily made it this week. In 2018, it's ridiculous that they cannot just keep the counter running continuously, especially now that earning upgrades requires 12,500 rather than 10,000 miles. But we know AA's IT is horrible and they don't care much about low-level elites' satisfaction (they are perfectly willing to give *20* upgrades along with free status to people who have only flown AA once or twice -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...an-2018-a.html).
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Too bad we can’t get rid of surplus upgrades: I’ve got a modest ~26, but Lady JDiver has 129 and minuscule chances of drawing on any. Good luck, all.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Too bad we can’t get rid of surplus upgrades: I’ve got a modest ~26, but Lady JDiver has 129 and minuscule chances of drawing on any. Good luck, all.
It is indeed too bad, especially since SWUs can be gifted (and are often freely given away near the end of the year). I have only 3 upgrades, and that's only after fighting to get 2 back that were deducted when I was rebooked in F during IRROPS (AA argued that they were legitimately deducted since I did indeed sit in F, but I argued that AA chose to put me in F to get me to my destination -- 7 HOURS LATE).
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
My wife's requested partial 500 mile upgrade points posted today.^
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Didn't the counter used to reset at the end of Feb? In any case, I can't seem to find a way to figure out how close I was to getting another batch of upgrades now that the counter has reset. Anyone know how?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by mangoMan
Didn't the counter used to reset at the end of Feb? In any case, I can't seem to find a way to figure out how close I was to getting another batch of upgrades now that the counter has reset. Anyone know how?
Yes, because the elite year ended at the end of Feb. Counter reset likely moved to Jan as the expiration date for status moved to Jan 31 awhile back
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by lds89
Yes, because the elite year ended at the end of Feb. Counter reset likely moved to Jan as the expiration date for status moved to Jan 31 awhile back
That's one of the problems with lifetime status... You forget when the normal status year ends
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JDiver
Wow. I thought I had way too many (sitting on 51)
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:22 pm

Data point: I was at < 1000 on the counter. I wrote in and received 2, deposited today. Have 5 total, not thrilled by the response but I imagine my helix score is quite low.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:43 am

Location: PHL/KOA - SU '03 M BB NCAA Champs/Phillies '08 WS Champs/Eagles '18 SB Champs
Programs: AA EXP (3MM)/HH Diamond
I had approximately 10,000 miles towards my next group of 4 and received 3 upgrades after emailing in (now sitting on 30). AA Customer Service called my home line yesterday while I was at work (didn't leave a message) and then sent an email asking me to call in to discuss. But when I brought up my account on-line this morning in anticipation of calling in, I saw that they had deposited three upgrades dated yesterday. So no reason to call in now and I was pleased with the result.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Ended up calling in and found that my wife was at about 5K towards the 12.5K threshold; agent gave her one upgrade. Then he checked my account and found I was at about 11.5K towards the threshold so he gave me four! ^
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by mangoMan
...I can't seem to find a way to figure out how close I was to getting another batch of upgrades now that the counter has reset. Anyone know how?
I would like to know as well. Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.