Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Observations on Buy Up to F Offers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
To address one of OP’s original questions... as a DL refugee, yes, this upsell push results in far fewer upgrades. It also results in more upgrade inventory being held back for longer... fewer upgrades at the window, even on empty flights, and more gate upgrades.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
They must be in full force and people are buying. I haven't seen anything but zeroed out F domestic anywhere in the last few weeks on my flights.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by nathico
Has anyone seen these offers on award tickets, or just revenue? I took an offer for $85 for DEN-MIA-PTP, which I think was an amazing deal for a total of over 7 hours in the air (even if the second leg is just business on an Embraer 175). I just booked the return on an award ticket web saver and wonder if its worth stalking the app to see if I get lucky again, or are these offers just on revenue tickets?

Yes that is a pretty good deal and I would have taken it also. All of my offers leaving out of DFW have been ridiculous. Last one was DFW - RDU, upgrade to first for the low low bargain price of $1,400. My next couple of flights, DFW - SLC, for $856 and DFW-LAX for $1,659. Yeah that will be a pass for me.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'm convinced AA is mining acceptance points to include and determine items like day and time, hub versus non hub (less competition versus more), local income levels, etc. to optimize revenue on buy ups. I believe that buy ups will ultimately replace the domestic complimentary upgrades albeit AA will spin it as an "enhancement to the flyer experience."
Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
No buy up offer for PE from CDG-PHL on 2/18. Cabin went out with 7 empty seats and Expert Flyer showing W7 before departure.

I thought there was going to be a mutiny over the empty seats. Lots of Exec Plat noise over it.

I would have paid for it... if it had been offered.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I recently endured AA for a SFO-PHX-LAS route just for the sake of doing it as ease.

I ended up being comp-upgraded on the first leg and wasn't expecting on the latter one as the flight had always been "no availability" in front cabin. Nonetheless, I recall AA offering $480 fare to upgrade (SFO-LAS, apparently!) since my return (LAS-LAX-SFO) was already in the front cabin.

Crazy to expect someone to pay (extra $480) on top of the RT fare already purchased for the entire trip. I'm suspecting the "buy-up fare was nothing more than the difference between flying J over Y for the entire trip (minus, perhaps??!!) the PHX-LAS portion since it was consistently "full".
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WalruSara
I thought there was going to be a mutiny over the empty seats. Lots of Exec Plat noise over it.
Oh, those poor, low-EQD souls.

I would have paid for it... if it had been offered.
You could have always called to up-fare or requested an upgrade with miles/SWU. There's no requirement for AA to offer a deep-discount upgrade price.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Today at BA check in for my AA flight lhr-Dfw the agent asked if I wanted to upgrade to first for $500. I said “no thank you. Not with the service levels they way they currently are”.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
So I just had an odd situation. For my one-way flight next week, I've had an offer showing in the app for a while to upfare to F for $314. I just happened to view my same flight reservation on the website, and it had an upfare to F offer for $132. Both are active at the same time. IT glitch or is AA trying to give better offers on website for some reason?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I'm convinced AA is mining acceptance points to include and determine items like day and time, hub versus non hub (less competition versus more), local income levels, etc. to optimize revenue on buy ups. I believe that buy ups will ultimately replace the domestic complimentary upgrades albeit AA will spin it as an "enhancement to the flyer experience."
Agreed, always wondered if AA would clear the EXP etc upgrades before offering a buy up to the general public... I know where a friend of mime (EXP) did not clear, but his co who had no status was able to buy F form a Y ticket about 3 days before.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
So I just had an odd situation. For my one-way flight next week, I've had an offer showing in the app for a while to upfare to F for $314. I just happened to view my same flight reservation on the website, and it had an upfare to F offer for $132. Both are active at the same time. IT glitch or is AA trying to give better offers on website for some reason?
My BF had a similar experience this week ORD-TPA-ORD. The app was showing the buyup to 1st in the neighborhood of $250-$275....basically the difference in what he paid and lowest F fare. The desktop site showed $131 and $135 to upgrade. As a lowely Gold he almost took it, but he clear his upgrade both ways. The pricing looks pretty close to what 3 500 mile stickers would cost. I kinda wonder if AA offers lower prices when they expect an upgrade to clear....to tempt you at a lower price.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by chicago747
My BF had a similar experience this week ORD-TPA-ORD. The app was showing the buyup to 1st in the neighborhood of $250-$275....basically the difference in what he paid and lowest F fare. The desktop site showed $131 and $135 to upgrade. As a lowely Gold he almost took it, but he clear his upgrade both ways. The pricing looks pretty close to what 3 500 mile stickers would cost. I kinda wonder if AA offers lower prices when they expect an upgrade to clear....to tempt you at a lower price.
Interesting. Assuming you don't have tons of stickers to burn, you might still be better off upfaring to get more EQM/EQD/RDM if the price is equivalent. Still doesn't explain why the price would be different between the two though.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 9:56 am

Now I am thinking maybe this is a bug. I keep trying to buy the upgrade on the website and getting the "Our system is having trouble, please try again later" message.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Interesting. Assuming you don't have tons of stickers to burn, you might still be better off upfaring to get more EQM/EQD/RDM if the price is equivalent. Still doesn't explain why the price would be different between the two though.
His ORD-MCO for next week shows $396 in app and $137 on the desktop site to upgrade. It's a 787-900 with only 3 seats taken and very few MCE taken so he's going to roll the dice on a sticker upgrade. A few days later his LAS-ORD is J1 and the buyup price is the same via app or desktop. I think he'll be upgraded on the first flight and has zero chance on the second.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
My hunch is that AA is trying to get their technology to look out 1-2 weeks and if F is wide open offer generous upgrade offers rather than have a cabin full of upgraders. Which will make upgrading even more difficult for lower elite levels.
chicago747 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.