FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Citi AAdvantage Executive Contactless Mastercard (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2006057-citi-aadvantage-executive-contactless-mastercard.html)

Dave Noble Apr 28, 2020 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32332183)
What do the first four digits mean? I agree I got my new card. I though all MC started 5466 but my new card’s first 4 aren’t this anymore.

I agree I don’t know why I got a replacement card as I didn’t ask for one either and already used it for Apple Pay. Pain in the arse now to change all my info.

The 1st 6 digits are simply the Bank Identification Number part of the number - it doesn't imply anything about features of the card in itself

Long Train Runnin Apr 28, 2020 5:17 pm

I called and requested a contactless card a few months ago when I realized this was an option.

Has worked great through out the limited places in the US that do contactless, and it worked great all over Europe where contactless way more common.

With no transaction fees and contactless it makes for a decent card for international.

Madison Guy Apr 29, 2020 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Redhead (Post 32332349)
My CIti 2x Cash Mastercard works like a charm for contactless.

I have received several lately, and they are working. Just the original ones I first had from what I now see.

PlatinumScum May 4, 2020 6:27 am

Suggestions on destroying one of these?

I converted my Executive card to a MileUp card, which arrived this weekend. I was a bit surprised that I didn't receive an envelope in which to return the thick Executive card.

Any ideas on an easy way to destroy it?

Flying for Fun May 4, 2020 8:11 am

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum (Post 32347294)
I converted my Executive card to a MileUp card, which arrived this weekend. I was a bit surprised that I didn't receive an envelope in which to return the thick Executive card.

A lot of cross-cut paper shredders will hapliy chew it up. Otherwise, cut it up, make sure to cut through the magnetic strip, chip & card numbers. For added safety, dispose of the pieces in several different garbage bags.

James

bchandler02 May 4, 2020 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 32347499)
A lot of cross-cut paper shredders will hapliy chew it up. Otherwise, cut it up, make sure to cut through the magnetic strip, chip & card numbers. For added safety, dispose of the pieces in several different garbage bags.

James

The exec cards have metal in them and cannot go through a shredder - it's a significant amount of metal and not just foil.
I think I asked Citi once and they said they have a place I could send it, but I didn't.

Take a knife and peel the sticker off both sides. You can then shred the sticker/strip/chip, and you'll also see the metal I am referring to. That's what I did last time - I should have taken pictures and posted here.

enviroian May 4, 2020 9:25 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02 (Post 32347629)
The exec cards have metal in them and cannot go through a shredder - it's a significant amount of metal and not just foil.
I think I asked Citi once and they said they have a place I could send it, but I didn't.

Take a knife and peel the sticker off both sides. You can then shred the sticker/strip/chip, and you'll also see the metal I am referring to. That's what I did last time - I should have taken pictures and posted here.

Yep. Card is a beast. I broke my scissors trying to cut it. You need the local FD to use the jaws of life to cut that in half.

That being said isn't it a completely moot point if the card is deactivated? What good is it to someone then.

PlatinumScum May 4, 2020 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32347666)
Yep. Card is a beast. I broke my scissors trying to cut it. You need the local FD to use the jaws of life to cut that in half.

That being said isn't it a completely moot point if the card is deactivated? What good is it to someone then.

Good question. I guess I'm just well trained.

bchandler02 May 4, 2020 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32347666)

Not necessarily. In many cases the replacement card has the exact same number, CID, and expiration date.

enviroian May 5, 2020 8:17 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02 (Post 32348905)
Not necessarily. In many cases the replacement card has the exact same number, CID, and expiration date.

interesting. I've neither heard or seen that before.

rens May 5, 2020 9:18 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32350165)

Likewise for me. The unrequested contactless card I received had all different numbers. Called Citi to ask about the impact of the account number change on autopay and direct payments by the AA cards that were in place for recurring payments. The advice was that some do transfer automatically and some do not, but there is no way to know which is which. CS suggested to just it and see what happens and go from there.
All in all a frustrating and potentially time consuming experience with very little gain for having a contactless card.

Herb687 May 5, 2020 11:17 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02 (Post 32347629)

Another reason why the metal card is a stupid idea. Less convenient for customers (makes my wallet heavier). Much more expensive for Citi. Much less secure (can't be cut up or shredded). Lose lose lose stupidity foisted upon us by dolts in marketing.

bchandler02 May 5, 2020 11:59 am

Originally Posted by rens (Post 32350352)
Likewise for me. The unrequested contactless card I received had all different numbers. Called Citi to ask about the impact of the account number change on autopay and direct payments by the AA cards that were in place for recurring payments. The advice was that some do transfer automatically and some do not, but there is no way to know which is which. CS suggested to just it and see what happens and go from there.
All in all a frustrating and potentially time consuming experience with very little gain for having a contactless card.

In my experience when the account number changes, those that have it on file for bill pay were auto-updated. I did verify with them but they were all updated. I only have a few things that do this however.

Originally Posted by Herb687 (Post 32350719)
Another reason why the metal card is a stupid idea. Less convenient for customers (makes my wallet heavier). Much more expensive for Citi. Much less secure (can't be cut up or shredded). Lose lose lose stupidity foisted upon us by dolts in marketing.

I don't personally see the point in the metal. I agree it is less secure since you can't easily shred it. Also, for a travel card, when going through the metal detector at the airport, it's a pain. I previously had my wallet down to the point that I could leave it in my pocket without setting anything off.

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32350165)

The last ~3 replacement cards I've gotten have all had the same account info.

enviroian May 5, 2020 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687 (Post 32350719)

For once I agree with you.

lsquare May 5, 2020 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum (Post 32347294)

Is it a metal card?