Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Executive Contactless Mastercard

Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat

Just got my usual yearly replacement for the Citi AA Exec card. since the numbers wear off so quickly. However, this one has the contactless symbol on the back (and is significantly heavier compared to my current card).

Hadn't seen anything posted here about this, but looks like they are finally catching up to the modern world.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Just got my usual yearly replacement for the Citi AA Exec card. since the numbers wear off so quickly. However, this one has the contactless symbol on the back (and is significantly heavier compared to my current card).

Hadn't seen anything posted here about this, but looks like they are finally catching up to the modern world.
Thanks for sharing. I may request a new card. I find the contactless card very helpful.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
The Citi Platinum Select is being issued as a contactless card also.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

I may have spoken too soon. So far it has not worked at two places I tried.... Shows invalid card. My Samsung watch worked fine so it wasn't their end..
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
I may have spoken too soon. So far it has not worked at two places I tried.... Shows invalid card. My Samsung watch worked fine so it wasn't their end..
I've found US-issued contactless cards to RARELY work anywhere. Just my experience.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
I've found US-issued contactless cards to RARELY work anywhere. Just my experience.
I guess it depends. I received this contactless card before my last trip to the EU/UK, and indeed it didn't work well. However in these case the Chase Hyatt card was flawless throughout the EU/UK. Will try Australia soon.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I guess it depends. I received this contactless card before my last trip to the EU/UK, and indeed it didn't work well. However in these case the Chase Hyatt card was flawless throughout the EU/UK. Will try Australia soon.
Indeed, it does depend. I've had my AMEX not work at CVS in the States, but work flawlessly at FRA airport train station (requiring PIN input - which I guessed - apparently correctly - was my cash advance pin.) OTOH, that same card was not accepted in any way at the FRA HBF. Perhaps different charging authorities? - just airport to city. I also have a Chase contactless - not working even domestically either. Don't have the Citi version yet - but no high expectations.

P.S. - Enjoy Australia!!!
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Indeed, it does depend. I've had my AMEX not work at CVS in the States, but work flawlessly at FRA airport train station (requiring PIN input - which I guessed - apparently correctly - was my cash advance pin.) OTOH, that same card was not accepted in any way at the FRA HBF. Perhaps different charging authorities? - just airport to city. I also have a Chase contactless - not working even domestically either. Don't have the Citi version yet - but no high expectations.

P.S. - Enjoy Australia!!!
Interesting I've had my contactless cards work at CVS and other large nationwide retailers. It's seemingly becoming more and more accepted at least in California.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:31 am
Original Poster

What a joke. Why bother putting out a contactless card if it doesn't work?
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
When I saw OP post about this I ordered a replacement card. Pretty amazing that I ordered this at 4pm yesterday and it arrived in less than 24 hours. It does appear to be contactless but I have not tried it yet. Will report back as the Chase card that I use around here works great.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: free agent
I haven't had a problem using this card in "contactless mode" in the US or EU. Do bear in mind that contactless has a limit - typically $100 in the US but it's lower in the UK and EU - GBP 30 and EUR 35 respectively.
It seems to me that in Europe, contactless cards are used more as a cash replacement than in the US: a few items in a grocery store, a round of drinks in a pub, morning coffee etc. Glad to see that the US is finally coming round to adopting it as retailers update their POS devices.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlphaTango
I haven't had a problem using this card in "contactless mode" in the US or EU. Do bear in mind that contactless has a limit - typically $100 in the US but it's lower in the UK and EU - GBP 30 and EUR 35 respectively.
It seems to me that in Europe, contactless cards are used more as a cash replacement than in the US: a few items in a grocery store, a round of drinks in a pub, morning coffee etc. Glad to see that the US is finally coming round to adopting it as retailers update their POS devices.
The first attempt was at a gas pump - so I suppose it's possible that it may try to exceed the limit, although the error was invalid card, not a decline message.
The second attempt was for a bag of chips and a drink... under $5.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
What a joke. Why bother putting out a contactless card if it doesn't work?
I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve and the contactless worked for a little while and then just stopped. Then it started for a bit, then stopped.

Definitely seems to be touch and go across many cards.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I’m getting a new exec card in the mail tomorrow. It was compromised Thursday when someone bought a load of pet supplies at pet smart in Indianapolis. I use Apple Pay so the contactless to me for the card doesn’t mean much.
jhartvu likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:05 am

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I was invited by Citi to try this contactless card in the last summer. Citi also offered me a $10 credit for charging a total of $10 in three stores from a list among which CVS, Target, etc. were included. My card works everywhere in the US (and I received the $10 credit by using it at CVS and Target and probably at Walgreens/DuaneRead or Rite Aid) where contactless cards are accepted. I haven't used it in overseas but will try it in London next week.

Note that, Citi added the contactless logo on the back. You need to tap/touch the logo at the contactless pad on the terminal. If it doesn't work, I would call the customer service. Perhaps your contactless payment ability hasn't been activated in the system.
JDiver likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.