Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Captain greets, gives calling card to EXPs on PHX-LAX 18 Jan 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive

Had a nice touch by an AA captain on a flight from PHX to LAX on Saturday. After boarding, the captain went around to the EXPs in first class and handed his business card and personally thanked us for flying AA. It had his e-mail and personal cell and he said to call him with any questions we ever had... EVER. He then greeted the first class cabin and pulled out an ipad and went through the flight plan. It was a real nice experience and after the flight he made an announcement for all the passengers that he'd be waiting to give a high five or fist bump, whatever we chose. Given all the negatives I read about AA on this board I thought I'd share a nice positive.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
That's a really nice touch. I've had a couple captains make similar gestures and it makes a HUGE difference.

But did you get a PDB??
IflyonAA, ZBigFam and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
That's a really nice touch. I've had a couple captains make similar gestures and it makes a HUGE difference.

But did you get a PDB??
Yes, we did! The FA was great as well! We had a PDB and she even refilled it once airborne for the short flight!
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:18 pm

Personal cell phone number? That seems slightly creepy. E-mail address was personal also?
writerguyfl and mctaste like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Personal cell phone number? That seems slightly creepy. E-mail address was personal also?
I'm surprised by how many people give out their cell phone number ("want to sign up for our rewards programs? What's your number?"). I guess most people don't bother picking up calls anyway though, particularly from unknown numbers.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
My guess is this was a legacy HP pilot. The America West crews have typically been among the friendliest when it comes to these types of things.
Mike Gilbert likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I'm surprised by how many people give out their cell phone number ("want to sign up for our rewards programs? What's your number?"). I guess most people don't bother picking up calls anyway though, particularly from unknown numbers.
A Google Voice number works great for this. Set one up, then mute all calls and texts from it unless you need it for something.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Yes, we did! The FA was great as well! We had a PDB and she even refilled it once airborne for the short flight!
Not to be a wet blanket, but the "refill" is not at all impressive -- I assume you mean a new drink service in glassware -- and it is absolutely to be expected in F on a 370-mile (not very short) flight, barring unusual extended turbulence. That is, having a drink service in-flight in your circumstance is routine and predictable, in a way that PDB isn't but should be.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
E-mail did have @aa.com on it. And he said it was personal but I didn't try and call so for all I know it's a generic AA #.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Not to be a wet blanket, but the "refill" is not at all impressive -- I assume you mean a new drink service in glassware -- and it is absolutely to be expected in F on a 370-mile (not very short) flight, barring unusual extended turbulence. That is, having a drink service in-flight in your circumstance is routine and predictable, in a way that PDB isn't but should be.
We had PDB in the plastic cup followed by a normal drink service in the glass cup and then the snack basket. After that the FA came around for another round of drinks - essentially a third round if you count PDB - and another round of the snack basket. She was very friendly and provided great service. More than I can say on other PHX to LAX flights I've taken. And, had I wanted a 4th - which I didn't - she would have gladly gotten it for me.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:28 am

Impressive! The only time I have ever experienced this is in LH F, so needless to say a different service standard across the board.

My personal experience with AA crew has in general always been much more positive than the cranks here make it out to be.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Impressive! The only time I have ever experienced this is in LH F, so needless to say a different service standard across the board.

My personal experience with AA crew has in general always been much more positive than the cranks here make it out to be.
I've had this happen several times on CLT-GSO, which is rated at 18min flight time. So it can be done on any flight, if the FA is willing.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:24 am
Suspended

Not the giving out cards but back in the US days it wasn't unusual for them to hang out, chat and sometimes even bring their maps. Nice to see some of still doing it.

I think this was from a PHL - FRA or CDG in Envoy on a 330. I remember being a little surprised that they still used paper and even track their position on it.

[/url]
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by TSparky
I've had this happen several times on CLT-GSO, which is rated at 18min flight time.
Well that's just because they're bored.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.