Wiki Posts
Search

Spouses with Points - Combine

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Spouses with Points - Combine

My wife has 49,000 AA Miles; I have 12,900. We are both Admirals Club members. Looking to book DFW-SXM round-trip. Using my wife's miles, we come up 73 miles short. To buy minimum 2,000 miles = $85, or something like that. How can we overcome this 73 mile deficit without the $85 cost? Thoughts?

Last edited by BillnMare; Jan 15, 2020 at 8:19 am
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by BillnMare
My wife has 49,000 AA Miles; I have 12,900. We are both Admirals Club members. Looking to book DFW-SXM round-trip. Using my wife's miles, we come up 73 miles short. To buy minimum 2,000 miles = $85, or something like that. How can we overcome this 73 mile deficit without the $85 cost? Thoughts?
Being Admiral's Club members has no bearing in this situation. If I needed a small number of miles I would place the tickets on hold and then find a restaurant that participates in the AA dining program or make a purchase through AAdvantage eshopping. There would be no guarantee that those miles would post within the 5 day award ticket hold period (sometimes they post super quickly and other times they don't). If they didn't post in time, I would give in and purchase the needed miles.

Could you possibly book these tickets as one -ways for the same number of miles?
For example:
Under wife's account: Both outbound flights and one of your return flights
Your account: the other return flight
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Miles can be transferred from one account to another in increments as little as 1000 miles. It will be considerably cheaper than purchasing, but there is no way to do it for free. You could be something on the AA Shopping site, but the miles won't credit instantly -- https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.