Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Ranked Last Again in Operational Performance (WSJ Jan 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Ranked Last Again in Operational Performance (WSJ Jan 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jordyn
I don't think you have any datapoints to the contrary, so I guess that's a tie?
Common sense breaks the tie. At least for me it does.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Why on earth do we continue to fly this garbage airline? I include myself in this insanity.
The Aadvantage benefits?

Originally Posted by Herb687
If so, he's a really bad one.
Is is he ready to be inducted into The Hall of Fame, along with Frank Lorenzo, Carl Icahn, and most recently, Jeff Smisek?

Originally Posted by flyalways
Will Parker assume responsibility for these rankings and resign ?
Yes, as soon as a pig is cleared for final approach at DFW.

The fact that he still has a job is astounding. A few posts back, I posted the ranking that really matters to those who employ Parker. He's produced a negative return during a 12-month period where the stock market was up big and his major airline competitors all produced positive returns (one of them even beating the S&P 500).
��. They are just outliers��

Originally Posted by TPJ
Now I always assume something will go wrong while flying with AA and I am genuinely happy/excited when nothing bad happens... This is how you increase customer satisfaction, right?
Oh, I get it. Sarcasm?

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 19, 2020 at 12:18 am Reason: Close quote
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Allegiant should have very high rankings for on-time performance and baggage handling given the nature of their operation. The MD-80s are gone; they're all Airbus now so that lessens the aging aircraft issue maintenance delay potential. As for AAY's route map, pretty easy to avoid ATC delays when you fly to such metropolises as OWB, BLI, PGD, GFK...
Yeah but the nature of their operation means that once a plane is late, it is late for the rest of the day. There is no swapping planes at a hub or anything like that.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by RoadWarrior200
Canceled Flights: DL, Allegiant, Jet Blue, AS, Frontier, Spirit, UA, WN, AA
Can't be a coincidence that the three airlines with the MAX are at the bottom
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by catcher1
Common sense breaks the tie. At least for me it does.
Great. This supply and demand curve thing was described hundreds of years ago, and it still works today!
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Can't be a coincidence that the three airlines with the MAX are at the bottom
Caveat emptor.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice strawman there. I agree there is a huge difference in corporate philosophy. In fact, offering generous VDB compensation to avoid involuntarily bumping your customers is a pretty customer-friendly approach. But the specific mechanism by which Delta achieves a VDB rate hundreds of times lower than AA's is through generous VDB compensation. It's also possible that they overbook less aggressively and/or have fewer IrrOps situations that result in overbooking, but you can see that Southwest (who doesn't overbook at all) has more involuntary bumps than Delta

And if you want a data point, the two airlines that have substantially upped their VDB compensation in recent years (United also caps out at ~$10K now) are the airlines that have IDB rates at least 10x lower than anyone else which is why they show up as #1 and #2 in the metrics now. (United was dead last before they made the change and is still pretty terrible in most operational metrics.)
As mentioned in the article, I think AA's IDB performance was also likely impacted by the MAX grounding -- they had to pull those aircraft from the schedule and they typically replaced them with un-Oasised 738s with fewer seats that ended up overbooked and eventually oversold. DL obviously didn't have this. I'm not sure if WN's MAXes had the same issue, and for UA the MAX was a smaller piece of the capacity. Of course AA could have probably proactively managed this better, and certainly the VDB comp limits helps mitigate it (hence UA at #2 on IDB). So I think it just comes down to AA not giving a hoot about its passengers.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
As mentioned in the article, I think AA's IDB performance was also likely impacted by the MAX grounding -- they had to pull those aircraft from the schedule and they typically replaced them with un-Oasised 738s with fewer seats that ended up overbooked and eventually oversold. DL obviously didn't have this. I'm not sure if WN's MAXes had the same issue, and for UA the MAX was a smaller piece of the capacity. Of course AA could have probably proactively managed this better, and certainly the VDB comp limits helps mitigate it (hence UA at #2 on IDB). So I think it just comes down to AA not giving a hoot about its passengers.
I'm sure that AA's MAX problems contributed to their woeful IDB rating in that it provided more opportunities for flights to be overbooked, as you say. (To put in perspective how bad AA's IDB rate is, 15K IDBs is more than all other airlines combined for the year and about the same as for all airlines (including AA) combined between April 2017 - April 2018. That is a perfectly rational explanation to describe why their IDB rate is double Alaska's. It cannot begin to explain why they IDB several hundred times more people than Delta or United, though.

In fact, Delta actually VDBs more people than AA. From this article:

Government statistics show that Delta oversold more flights in the third quarter this year. Some 142,403 Delta passengers voluntarily took themselves off flights during the period, compared with 138,708 at American.

So, even though Delta overbooks more than AA, they end up with massively fewer IDBs. There's no possible explanation for this other than higher VDB compensation.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Caveat emptor.
True, but it would help if the seller isn't actively trying to deceive you.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
True, but it would help if the seller isn't actively trying to deceive you.
My understanding is that AA had quite a hand in the creation of the beast.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
9 vs 15000 IDB?

I can't believe it.
There's gotta be a typo or something. Or an error in the metrics that do not compare apples to apples.

Also out of the millions of pax DL has I find it statically impossible that they had only 9 Idbs

Would like to see the numbers of the other airlines to put it in perspective.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca
9 vs 15000 IDB?

I can't believe it.
There's gotta be a typo or something. Or an error in the metrics that do not compare apples to apples.

Also out of the millions of pax DL has I find it statically impossible that they had only 9 Idbs

Would like to see the numbers of the other airlines to put it in perspective.
This is all reported by the DOT. For the July - September period in the report I linked to (VDB / IDB):
  • HA - 37 / 0
  • DL - 46,408 / 3
  • UA - 20,702 / 15
  • B6 - 785 / 8
  • WN - 4,806 / 314
  • AS - 3,430 / 152
  • AA - 37,367 / 3,481
So AA had 1,000 times more IDBs than DL despite fewer VDBs and represented 81.5% of the total 4,269 IDB incidents across all airlines (I didn't include them all in my list above).
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
This is all reported by the DOT. For the July - September period in the report I linked to (VDB / IDB):
  • HA - 37 / 0
  • DL - 46,408 / 3
  • UA - 20,702 / 15
  • B6 - 785 / 8
  • WN - 4,806 / 314
  • AS - 3,430 / 152
  • AA - 37,367 / 3,481
So AA had 1,000 times more IDBs than DL despite fewer VDBs and represented 81.5% of the total 4,269 IDB incidents across all airlines (I didn't include them all in my list above).
Wow. Thanks.

These numbers are much more telling.

So in that time period DL denied boarding to roughly 46000 pax; AA, 41000
Makes sense.
But then DL seems to be giving away a lot of money in vouchers to bring the IDB number down to 3.
46000x$500 average voucher = $23 millions in vouchers in 3 months.

Interesting!
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Wow. Thanks.

These numbers are much more telling.

So in that time period DL denied boarding to roughly 46000 pax; AA, 41000
Makes sense.
But then DL seems to be giving away a lot of money in vouchers to bring the IDB number down to 3.
46000x$500 average voucher = $23 millions in vouchers in 3 months.

Interesting!
You’re probably right that Delta pays more in IDB compensation, but this decision works because it fits their overall strategy really well.

First, Delta prioritizes superior operational performance, which means that denied boarding is more a result of intentional overbooking (which generates revenue) rather than irregular operations (which incurs costs).

Second, Delta focuses on creating a superior experience for the customer, which increases willingness to pay, as evidenced by Delta’s higher PRASM. You can’t run a customer-centric airline by constantly telling your customers to pound sand and find another airline to fly.

The difference in IDBs is symptomatic of why AA is so bad. IDBing a passenger might be financially beneficial for AA transactionally, but it also is working against AA making improvements.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rucksack
You’re probably right that Delta pays more in IDB compensation, but this decision works because it fits their overall strategy really well.
I think you mean VDB, right? When the VDB number is high enough, there is no need for IDB, Delta is extremely generous on this front (e.g $1400 on ATL-BOS). A Delta manager explained that they do this in order to help boost the metrics they care about the most.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 19, 2020 at 12:21 am Reason: Close quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.