Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Ranked Last Again in Operational Performance (WSJ Jan 2020)

Old Jan 15, 20, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT, UA LT Gold, Hertz PC, 5 MM+ miles

The Wall Street Journal just released its annual ranking of airline operational performance. Here’s the list in ranked order (exclamation points are mine): Delta, Alaska, Southwest, Allegiant (!), Spirit (!!), Jet Blue, Frontier, United, American. Most telling is this paragraph from today's article: “Just consider the difference in flight cancellations. Delta averaged only 36 a day in 2019; American averaged 159 a day. In mishandled baggage, Delta averaged 1,345 late or lost bags each day; American mishandled more than twice as many. And Delta involuntarily bumped a total of nine passengers from its flights over the most recent 12-month period reported; American bumped more than 15,000."
Spiff, TheDudeAbides and becks1 like this.

Last edited by RoadWarrior200; Jan 15, 20 at 10:00 am Reason: Boldface title
Old Jan 15, 20, 9:43 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Gold
AA's management philosophy is to mimic Delta rather than being an industry leader and trend setter.
They seem to copy Delta very well where it negatively affects us. Why can't they copy the positives from Delta (operational performance)?
Old Jan 15, 20, 9:49 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
2020 isn't gonna look better with 140 cancellations a day just due to the MAX not being able to be in service.
RoadWarrior200 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adunker View Post
2020 isn't gonna look better with 140 cancellations a day just due to the MAX not being able to be in service.
But if the Max is taken off the schedule there shouldn't be cancellations due to the Max not being in service. I think it goes back to banked hubs and the timeliness of maintenance issues. When planes can't get to a gate, particularly towards the later hours of the day there's going to be more crew timing out issues. Planes that do not get back into service on a timely basis are going to cause cancellations not to mention crew time outs waiting for an a/c to be deemed air worthy. Moreover, American is horrible about recovery. An a/c comes in late and it seems that it takes longer to turn the a/c around if it had come in on time.

I don't see Parker debanking hubs. The additional revenue is highly likely offsetting the additional costs and Parker runs by the numbers not the flyer experience. I guess he figures corporate travelers will be taken care of by their company and for high end leisure travelers decamping to the nearest 4 star hotel while annoying doesn't break the budget. Those seated in Groups 7-9 that paid for a cheap ticket, more adversely economically impacted by delays and cancellations can just go pound sand it would appear. However, this of course reeks havoc with a business traveler's agenda and this is where I wonder if they are losing revenue on the back if enough bread and butter flyers are leaving.
Old Jan 15, 20, 10:07 am

The disparity in IDB numbers is shocking. That goes way way beyond mechanics or MAX availability. Is there some other obvious explanation?

saunders111
RoadWarrior200 and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Operationally inept airline.
Old Jan 15, 20, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by saunders111 View Post
The disparity in IDB numbers is shocking. That goes way way beyond mechanics or MAX availability. Is there some other obvious explanation?

saunders111
Yeah, Delta just keeps increasing the amount of VDB comp they'll offer until someone accepts.
Spiff and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 10:14 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
So AA is 9 out of 9 on the list.

AA Leadership: "Nine is higher than One, we are winning!!"

Old Jan 15, 20, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Agree, it's running a customer-centric business versus running a company solely by numbers. Through the years, I saw that my most successful clients were the ones that first took care of and listened to their employees (bottom to top) and then structured the company around what was important for their customers including fair but profitable pricing. It's thus no surprise that Southwest and Delta lead in profitability as well as customer satisfaction.
Old Jan 15, 20, 10:45 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
IDB 9 vs 15,000 is quite a difference

Regardless of the amount Delta offers.

If the shocking difference was because Delta just throws a ton more money at passengers, then why are their earnings better?

That doesn't make sense.

The discrepancy points to a complete difference in how AA and DL sees their customers.
Old Jan 15, 20, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit View Post
IDB 9 vs 15,000 is quite a difference

Regardless of the amount Delta offers.
Actually, the amount makes a big difference. If you're willing to keep upping the amount of compensation to change flights, you'll basically always be able to find someone to take your deal. I think DL maxes out at ~$10K in vouchers for VDB compensation. The number of times when you couldn't find enough volunteers for that sort of compensation would be very low--probably about 9 per year.

If the shocking difference was because Delta just throws a ton more money at passengers, then why are their earnings better?

That doesn't make sense.
Sure it does. There's a lot more involved to profitability than VDB compensation, and DL is doing a better job at most of them. Not AA, but I've nearly been IDBed off an Alaska flight where they maxed out at IDB compensation that was roughly a third of what they'd have to pay me in IDB flight (I had a full Y ticket, but had also checked in last). So it's also possible that being more generous with VDB money can actually result in better profitability for some airlines.

The discrepancy points to a complete difference in how AA and DL sees their customers.
That's definitely true too, but the reason why DL hardly IDBs anyone is because of their approach to VDB compensation. It's also possible they are better at overbooking than AA, but not three orders of magnitude better.
RoadWarrior200 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Is the video of a senior executive meeting, or of the board of directors?
Old Jan 15, 20, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AA MM (like it matters!)
Originally Posted by BMWMOT View Post
AA's management philosophy is to mimic Delta rather than being an industry leader and trend setter.
They seem to copy Delta very well where it negatively affects us. Why can't they copy the positives from Delta (operational performance)?
That would require AA to spend *MONEY*.
Old Jan 15, 20, 12:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I agree that the banking is a problem. I get quite tired of 40 minute scheduled layovers too -- even on a good day that only leaves 15 real minutes to get gate to gate because the inbound plane has to wait for limited ground crew to walk them into the gate and operate the jet bridge, and that out plane will have GAs close the door at or before T-10 to meet their D0 goals, just so your plane can spend 20 minutes in a queue to take off.

One afternoon storm and the next 24 hours is a nightmare.

At DFW, it's quite a spectacle to stay at the GH DFW and watch how the airport goes from dozens of planes jockeying in, jockeying out, and the odd stillness/silence of the airport in between (except for an occasional delta or spirit flight)
Old Jan 15, 20, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by jordyn View Post
There's a lot more involved to profitability than VDB compensation, and DL is doing a better job at most of them. Not AA, but I've nearly been IDBed off an Alaska flight where they maxed out at IDB compensation that was roughly a third of what they'd have to pay me in IDB flight (I had a full Y ticket, but had also checked in last). So it's also possible that being more generous with VDB money can actually result in better profitability for some airlines.
I'll add to this that the passengers who are IDB'd are more likely to remember the negative experience and not choose AA the next time around, so capping VDB comp at IDB rates costs AA future revenue.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: