Wiki Posts
Search

Best time to buy transcon business?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chase, United
Best time to buy transcon business?

Looking to buy transcon business class tickets for the first half of December 2020. What’s the optimum time to buy? How many months in advance? Or is there no way to predict? Thanks in advance! Zc
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zoechow
Looking to buy transcon business class tickets for the first half of December 2020. What’s the optimum time to buy?
When AA offers I inventory for sale. Right now I see OW fares JFK-SFO on limited dates for $709; unlikely to go any lower than that.
Fraser, JDiver and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:52 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Looking to buy transcon business class tickets for the first half of December 2020. What’s the optimum time to buy? How many months in advance? Or is there no way to predict? Thanks in advance! Zc
Probably not this far out, but also probably not within 3 weeks of travel, either. There is not a consistent answer to this question, so if you really want to track prices as closely (and as passively) as possible, consider using Google Flights to set up price alerts for the dates you wish to travel.

Originally Posted by Kacee
When AA offers I inventory for sale. Right now I see OW fares JFK-SFO on limited dates for $709; unlikely to go any lower than that.
The above response is also good advice with respect to inventory -- 'I' class is what you're seeking, although I've definitely seen transcon business fares on this route for less than $709. I'm actually seeing $609 for several advance dates using the Google Flights calendar function at the moment.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks. It is helpful to see what the low end is that I should seek. Those $600 or $700 fares are amazing. Now that I see how powerful the google tools are, I see some of those for LAX (my need here) as well. I just need the business fare to come out close to a premium economy fare, and UA is basically it for transcon, and they seem to be charging close to or more than that.

Only UA seems to be offering tickets at this point that extend to the second week of december, and their prices go way up in that week. I hope the business fares on AA (and Delta would be fine too) do not go way up then. Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
You want to use ExpertFlyer to see what the fare rules are like for the lowest priced I inventory...
zoechow likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lizthegrey
You want to use ExpertFlyer to see what the fare rules are like for the lowest priced I inventory...
Thanks for this. My apologies for being a bit new to this particular topic. I do have expertflyer but have only used it for award-seat alerts. I am not sure what you are recommending here, but it sounds interesting. Is there a possibility that the lowest fares come with some kind of fare rules that will make the tickets unattractive? I'm also not sure how to find fare rules on expertflyer. My apologies, again, for being new to this part of things.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Thanks for this. My apologies for being a bit new to this particular topic. I do have expertflyer but have only used it for award-seat alerts. I am not sure what you are recommending here, but it sounds interesting. Is there a possibility that the lowest fares come with some kind of fare rules that will make the tickets unattractive? I'm also not sure how to find fare rules on expertflyer. My apologies, again, for being new to this part of things.
No, the most discounted business fares will just typically come with the highest change fees and advance purchase requirements. Checking EF for the fare rules could give you an idea of the typical advance purchase requirements.
zoechow likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
$709 is the lowest "typical" fare IME, fairly easy to come by on the less desirably timed flights.

Given the heavy competition from Jetblue Mint and Delta One you can often see them down to the high $500s but I wouldn't bank on it.

Unless status/miles are important and if the price is comparable I'd consider Jetblue Mint. This far out bagging the solo suites (which are IME a bit better than the AA F seat) is very easy indeed. Service is always excellent and the food on par with AA FC. The only letdown is the ground experience...no lounge.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fraser
Unless status/miles are important and if the price is comparable I'd consider Jetblue Mint. ... Service is always excellent and the food on par with AA FC. The only letdown is the ground experience...no lounge.
Thanks for this. I don't fly enough for status, and have no loyalty. I guess I hadn't quite considered the miles, which are probably only valuable to me with UA M+, since while I don't like UA itself I do get great use of these for business awards on European *A to Europe. I have only tried once, but I liked Mint throne seat much better than my one time on AA flagship business, for sure. I only have that one experience each, so can't judge the service -- this is interesting to hear that you think Jetblue better there. I'd probably also in theory prefer Delta One, even though they seem to only be flying the old 76W seats, for the all aisle access and presumably better reliability than competitors (though maybe AA's new A321's might beat Delta's ancient 76W?). I had thought AA is fine and looks cheapest, but now I realize Google flights wasn't comparing Jetblue, because Jetblue doesn't have flights loaded into the fall. Will watch this closely. Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Given the heavy competition from Jetblue Mint and Delta One...
Re: competition it is interesting that AA seems mostly the cheapest option right now. Not sure why? I would think some would prefer AA to the old planes and seat Delta is offering. I would think they would be preferred over a non-throne on Mind. And I would think nearly all would prefer them to UA 757 to EWR!
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, UA LT Gold, Hertz PC, 5 MM+ miles
I do an LAX/NYC nonstop round trip three to five times a year and always in Business Class. Weirdly, American periodically posts a lower fare in First than Business, at least outgoing and at least when far in advance for travel dates, but then has a high price for a Friday evening return whether in Business or First. So I check the four major web sites months ahead of time (AA, UA, DL, B9) and if I see an especially decent fare, I jump on it. Three trips ago, AA was half of what either DL or UA was posting. Last trip, DL was a third of the others, and I was amazed at the quality of equipment and service. This time, both UA and AA were (incredibly) posting round-trip Business fares six months out in the $4K to $5K range versus their normal $1.9K to $3.1K range while UA offered me a round-trip Business fare, at very decent times, for around $1.2K. So that's what I've booked. All, by the way, are in lie-flat sleeper seats although DL has the advantage of all aisle access. UA is starting to put 787's on the route, likewise with all aisle access, and that could be a game changer. If you're willing to change planes (such as at DFW, ORD or SLC) you can often get really excellent First Class fares, sometimes half or less what a nonstop would cost although in standard seats and some of that now depends on when the MAX comes back on line since until then many of those routes are in heavy demand but with limited equipment. As for change fees, unless I'm missing something, these are all discounted fares so all come with a $200 fee to change, but that's a fraction of the differences in various fares from various carriers and times, so I just see it as part of the cost of being a customer these days. I've urged AA to waive change fees two or three times a year for elites since that would help get a lot of their desired customers to restore some loyalty to them and largely book with them, but so far they don't seem to get it.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Right now UA is charging *much* more for the 787 business vs. 757, sadly.

AA flagship first would be great -- outbound Saturdays do seem affordable ($859) [the trouble with going early is that hotels in NYC are so expensive!]
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If considering UA, keep in mind EWR. Sucks. For LAX-NYC, the AA lounges are considerably better at both ends, especially JFK.
Unless status/miles are important and if the price is comparable I'd consider Jetblue Mint. This far out bagging the solo suites (which are IME a bit better than the AA F seat) is very easy indeed. Service is always excellent and the food on par with AA FC. The only letdown is the ground experience...no lounge.
I find the Mint seat uncomfortable. It's also very difficult to score a single.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No, the most discounted business fares will just typically come with the highest change fees and advance purchase requirements. Checking EF for the fare rules could give you an idea of the typical advance purchase requirements.
I honestly don’t think Expertflyer would be all that useful here (said as a longtime subscriber!). OP is looking 11 months out so advance purchase requirements are basically irrelevant. A Google Flights price tracker can serve the same function as an EF alert for I inventory.
zoechow and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I honestly don’t think Expertflyer would be all that useful here (said as a longtime subscriber!). OP is looking 11 months out so advance purchase requirements are basically irrelevant. A Google Flights price tracker can serve the same function as an EF alert for I inventory.
Completely agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.