Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award change: Typical "re-instate" process + wait times

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb., A3 *G, QF Plat

Hi All,

I had a previously ticketed and confirmed AA award reservation (KUL - AKL) which I have just changed to HND-SYD-AKL, all in Business on partner OneWorld airlines.

After a lengthy wait on the call, the AA agent said that the original KUL - AKL ticket will be cancelled then "re-instated" for the new itinerary.

Just for my understanding, does this mean that the miles need to first be re-deposited to my account, and then taken again by the system for the new itinerary? I ask because as of now the miles haven't been returned to my account, but the reservation has been updated to reflect the new departure city with the reservation now saying "On Request" and "We will hold your reservation through Jan 12th" in addition to "Buy More Miles before you can book this" being stated prominently above the booking.

Given the "buy more miles" heading, I feel as though something has gone wrong in the change process, do I need to call in to get the miles credited back?

I am normally a *A flyer, and this use of AA miles was just to burn miles accumulated somewhile back so apologies if this is the standard process and I'm just being paranoid.

Appreciate the help!

Cheers,
CB
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by cuzzybro
Hi All,

I had a previously ticketed and confirmed AA award reservation (KUL - AKL) which I have just changed to HND-SYD-AKL, all in Business on partner OneWorld airlines.

After a lengthy wait on the call, the AA agent said that the original KUL - AKL ticket will be cancelled then "re-instated" for the new itinerary.

Just for my understanding, does this mean that the miles need to first be re-deposited to my account, and then taken again by the system for the new itinerary? I ask because as of now the miles haven't been returned to my account, but the reservation has been updated to reflect the new departure city with the reservation now saying "On Request" and "We will hold your reservation through Jan 12th" in addition to "Buy More Miles before you can book this" being stated prominently above the booking.

Given the "buy more miles" heading, I feel as though something has gone wrong in the change process, do I need to call in to get the miles credited back?

I am normally a *A flyer, and this use of AA miles was just to burn miles accumulated somewhile back so apologies if this is the standard process and I'm just being paranoid.

Appreciate the help!

Cheers,
CB
DId they mention a change or redepost fee? Did you give them a credit card number to use for that?
Bookings are generally held until 11:59 PM in the city of departure
You should call to verify what is happening, as it is well past that time in your departure city
Old Jan 12, 2020, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb., A3 *G, QF Plat
Originally Posted by mvoight
DId they mention a change or redepost fee? Did you give them a credit card number to use for that?
Bookings are generally held until 11:59 PM in the city of departure
You should call to verify what is happening, as it is well past that time in your departure city
yeah they mentioned a $150 fee, and yup gave them credit card number.

I just received an AA email saying that the taxes for the original routing have been refunded, nothing else. The reservation still shows as “On Request” on the AA site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.