Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong / HKG: AA Mobile Boarding Pass to US?

Hong Kong / HKG: AA Mobile Boarding Pass to US?

Old Jan 12, 20, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Question Hong Kong / HKG: AA Mobile Boarding Pass to US?

Hi,

I just (very surprisingly) digitally checked in for HKG-DFW on an android device. I will be arriving about 4 hours prior to departure (and before transit check in is open).

Will I be able to with a mobile boarding pass in HKG:

1) Use transit security
2) Use any of the Cathay lounges
3) Board the aircraft

I appreciate any recent insights you can provide.
Old Jan 12, 20, 5:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I dont think you will have any issues.. but again.. I always like to have a printed boarding card for my flights... but that is just me.
What airline are you flying on?
Old Jan 12, 20, 6:00 am
Original Poster

I'm on AA. Mobile boarding passes have never really worked on AP routines for me with them up until now. HKG strikes me as such a paper dependent airport that I really wonder if a mobile boarding pass is going to work.
Old Jan 12, 20, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA PP, DL SM/MM, HH Dia, All Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
I've used United mobile boarding passes to do all three in HKG, so you should be able to do that on AA too.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 12, 20, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
Done all three at HKG flying AA with no problem whatsoever.
Spiff and chitink like this.
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
Yup!! Echoing @britz. Done all three with digital pass. And it was about six months ago that the mobile check in pass started working for my treks to HKG too. Scanned passport and was all done with the process.

Have fun at CX lounge too. Sometime the business class peeps will turn me away politely and direct me to the first class lounge when they glance at my boarding pass.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:40 am

I have used CX's mobile boarding passes for security, lounge, boarding. No problems. AA -wouldn't know. Not impressed with any of AA's online check-in or boarding options. AA is the only airline I travel can't consistently attach my Global Entry known traveler number to my boarding passes. Every time I call to ask about it, I'm told "Yes, we do have problems with that." I wouldn't trust they didn't have other problems.........
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerfromORD View Post
I have used CX's mobile boarding passes for security, lounge, boarding. No problems. AA -wouldn't know. Not impressed with any of AA's online check-in or boarding options. AA is the only airline I travel can't consistently attach my Global Entry known traveler number to my boarding passes. Every time I call to ask about it, I'm told "Yes, we do have problems with that." I wouldn't trust they didn't have other problems.........
No issues at all with GE for past three years. I'd advise having an agent at check-in look at your profile. In the very beginning, I entered my KTN into my profile and it didn't work. I arrived at airport and have agent do it and it's been perfect ever since.
Old Jan 12, 20, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat 100, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Amtrak Select+, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nyc6035 View Post

Will I be able to with a mobile boarding pass in HKG:

1) Use transit security
2) Use any of the Cathay lounges
3) Board the aircraft.
Had no issues with all three a couple of weeks ago.

As an aside, since I didnít have a paper pass, I asked the flagship check in agents in LAX to print a trip summary for me in the event the QF First lounge attendant gave me a hard time as the inbound QR code was expired.
Old Jan 12, 20, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Yes, app is now possible for AA itineraries departing HKG. It is relatively new.....as recently as a few years ago, both app and OLCI were blocked when departing HKG. Keep in mind that you still need to do passport verification (to prove you are physically in possession of your passport on departure day). An airport agent can do it at the ticket counter or gate prior to boarding. Or, I believe now that the app uses NFC to scan the e-passport chip, you can do it that way too. (although some e-passports do not have a functioning chip...including those that have added visa pages, or so I was told)

For a major international flight like HKG-USA, I still recommend stopping by the ticket counter or gate counter to see if the agents want to swipe your passport manually into their system. (It can be pretty embarrassing if your boarding pass is rejected at boarding because your documents have not been verified in the system!)
Old Jan 12, 20, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Always able to use mobile passes

I transit HKG often and mobile always works.
Old Jan 12, 20, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all! As everyone suggested, I was able to leverage transit security and enter The Pier was a digital boarding pass. Magic!

Appreciate the insights.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PLT; Globalist
Last week in HKG was able to clear security and immigration on the AA HKG-LAX flight with my digital boarding pass since I didn't want to wait for AA checkin to open. Even though the HKG-DFW flight had checked in earlier it appears they still open checkin only 3 hours prior to departure. And the checkin machines at the gate didn't work jamming on my attempt.

Worked fine as others stated including getting into Pier. I tried to get CX in the main hall to reprint my boarding pass but they insisted they couldn't and I didn't push it. I like to have a as a backup but so had the AA agent at the gate print it for me just prior to boarding.
ESpen36 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: