Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

is this a valid connection? (MCTs in LAX, JFK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is this a valid connection? (MCTs in LAX, JFK)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AA100k
I believe that connection is within the same terminal, someone correct me if I’m wrong.
AA to AA would be within T8.

Whoops - what guv said above
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Did you book this ticket with the connections as they are now, are you considering booking this, or did the connections "shrink" post booking.

These times are clearly within MCT, but outside SCT (Sensible Connection Time). While AA can certainly deny a fee-free change, if these times are due to a change, it is worth another try along with a specific proposal for the reasonable reroute you want. Much easier to feed flight numbers than to ask.
LCSinTexas, AA100k and Nephoi like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I wouldn't be too worried about it. If anything goes wrong there are plenty of options to be rerouted on to LHR. Including nonstops on BA from LAS and AA/BA from LAX plus the many JFK-LHR flights on both airlines.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
They're both legal. So I'd call back and find a different agent.
If the connections are legal, and OP was correctly told they are legal, why would calling again change anything? The way you're phrasing this is as if you thought OP was told they're not legal.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by cmd320
I wouldn't be too worried about it. If anything goes wrong there are plenty of options to be rerouted on to LHR. Including nonstops on BA from LAS and AA/BA from LAX plus the many JFK-LHR flights on both airlines.
Agreed. These are valid albeit short connections. If all flights operate on time you'll have no trouble at all. Both LAX and JFK are both easy connections provided there's no eagle's nest at LAX (indeed, OP is mainline to mainline). Plus, there are no "one-off/oddball" flights here-- meaning, if things start to go south, OP will have numerous reroute options at every point in the journey. Just have a backup plan for each segment and be ready to call as soon as something goes wrong. It sounds like the OP wants a lot of segments but if things do go wrong it's also the case that a re-route on a more direct itinerary will be possible to get to ARN if something is delayed.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
If the connections are legal, and OP was correctly told they are legal, why would calling again change anything? The way you're phrasing this is as if you thought OP was told they're not legal.
It depends on what OP wants.

If he wants to fly this routing, he wants these connections to be "legal". On the other hand, if he wants a fee-free change, he wants one or both of the connections to be below MCT.

As a general matter, AA's systems are good in this respect. If it is bookable, it is within MCT. Most agents do not even know how to look up an MCT any longer as it is not relevant to their work.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Agreed. These are valid albeit short connections. If all flights operate on time you'll have no trouble at all. Both LAX and JFK are both easy connections provided there's no eagle's nest at LAX (indeed, OP is mainline to mainline). Plus, there are no "one-off/oddball" flights here-- meaning, if things start to go south, OP will have numerous reroute options at every point in the journey. Just have a backup plan for each segment and be ready to call as soon as something goes wrong. It sounds like the OP wants a lot of segments but if things do go wrong it's also the case that a re-route on a more direct itinerary will be possible to get to ARN if something is delayed.
If the OP has to get re-routed due to IRROPS, he might get a much more direct route, and still be entitled to claim original routing credit. That could be a win-win.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
OP - Did you book this ticket with the connections as they are now, are you considering booking this, or did the connections "shrink" post booking.

These times are clearly within MCT, but outside SCT (Sensible Connection Time). While AA can certainly deny a fee-free change, if these times are due to a change, it is worth another try along with a specific proposal for the reasonable reroute you want. Much easier to feed flight numbers than to ask.
i booked it as it is now since this gives me the baec TP I need. But the connections are much tighter now.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Last year I made a 38 min evening connection at LAX with ease, arriving from LAS and going to JFK. I even got the time to browse a nearby "bookstore".
I think I could be more worried about the 54 min JFK connection... once I missed my LHR flight due delay from LAX, with a 1h10min connection time. However, in the worst case scenario you could always try to ask for Original Routing Credit.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lefly
Last year I made a 38 min evening connection at LAX with ease, arriving from LAS and going to JFK. I even got the time to browse a nearby "bookstore".
I think I could be more worried about the 54 min JFK connection... once I missed my LHR flight due delay from LAX, with a 1h10min connection time. However, in the worst case scenario you could always try to ask for Original Routing Credit.
the trip is in April. i just hope for another schedule changes. So far nothing this saturday night.

i understood that schedchanges always happen in the night from Saturday to Sunday and i can see them sunday morning (GMT). is there any regularity in the frequency? (every week, every other week, once a month....)?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:04 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
As others note in this forum, MCT (minimum connection time) is not the same as SCT (sensible connection time). I wasn't really concerned about Nephoi's itinerary until I saw the bit about connecting onwards to ARN. Everything has to go perfectly here. Depending on time of year, that could be challenging. April is probably one of the safer months for attempting this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
As others note in this forum, MCT (minimum connection time) is not the same as SCT (sensible connection time). I wasn't really concerned about Nephoi's itinerary until I saw the bit about connecting onwards to ARN. Everything has to go perfectly here. Depending on time of year, that could be challenging. April is probably one of the safer months for attempting this.
its on the friday in the easter week. Must be 04/17 IIRC.

i called twice, ticket stays as it is right now due to AA hotline and cant be changed.

this is the outcome of a call after a previous schedule change and a connection time of minus 6 minutes in LAX.
AA1945 AA238 AA106 AY1332 AY813
0800 - 09:20 LAS LAX
10:00 - 18:31 LAX JFK
19:25 - 07:40+1 JFK LHR
10:20 - 15:15 LHR HEL
16:00 - 16:00 HEL ARN

Last edited by Nephoi; Jan 5, 2020 at 2:14 am
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Nephoi
its on the friday in the easter week. Must be 04/17 IIRC.

i called twice, ticket stays as it is right now due to AA hotline and cant be changed.

this is the outcome of a call after a previous schedule change and a connection time of minus 6 minutes in LAX.
AA1945 AA238 AA106 AY1332 AY813
0800 - 09:20 LAS LAX
10:00 - 18:31 LAX JFK
19:25 - 07:40+1 JFK LHR
10:20 - 15:15 LHR HEL
16:00 - 16:00 HEL ARN
Thats one heck of an itinerary. One thing that works in your favor is that none of the cities in your itinerary is particularly rare or difficult to get to. Its not like you're trying to make it to the single flight to JIB that operates 4x a week.

You're also flying during what is probably the most benign time of year in terms of weather. If things go badly, I'd expect it to be a delay in JFK. But with that time of year, I'm not as uneasy about it.

Is this Y class J or F?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer

Is this Y class J or F?
im flying this little heck of an itiniary in J, a friend is joining me in Y. although he could afford it, he doesnt want J...
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Nephoi
im flying this little heck of an itiniary in J, a friend is joining me in Y. although he could afford it, he doesnt want J...
Yeah, so you're expecting a nice time LAX-JFK. Switching to LAS-DFW or LAS-ORD would be doable, but you'll have to step "down" to a domestic F class product.
Nephoi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.