Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much will you fly this year?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by dunno282
how do you know what the rest of your year looks like already as a traveling consultant? my current weekly commute is LGA - RDU so only getting 500 EQM each way until end of Feb. Not sure if I will continue that route or get onto another project after that. depending on how long I'm extended for I might have to tough it out with segments to re-qualify as EXP.
you could do LGA-CLT-RDU or try LGA-DFW-RDU a few times
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:34 am

No spreadsheets, but this could potentially be a unique travel year for me. Depending on how the year progresses, I may have to make about 10+ west/east coast to HKG/SIN/DUB flights this year. At the bare minimum, I'd probably have to make one per quarter.

As a newly minted EXP, AA would certainly be in the mix on whom I'll choose for those routes, assuming they materialize.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:54 am

Programs: AA Exp, Admirals Club
I love a spreadsheet! Going to start one now with my known travel for the year.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by catcher1
My goal for 2020 is 15,000 EQD, 100,000 EQM to requalify for EP.
This will be 95 percent leisure travel on my dime.
Beyond requalification for EP, I aim at burning award miles and hopefully using SWUs.
We'll see if this is achievable, and I hope for no changes in the program to gum up the works.
Same goal. Barely 15k eqd 100% leisure
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: AA ExePlat
Originally Posted by timmy83
Double EQS Promotion? I don't recall seeing anything on this... Too late to sign up I suppose?
I found it in my promotions tab. Must be signed up by Jan. 14. No idea if its targeted or not, but makes no sense to target me with this promotion given my travel history. The promotion as already posted double EQS for me this year.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: Plat
Originally Posted by dunno282
how do you know what the rest of your year looks like already as a traveling consultant? my current weekly commute is LGA - RDU so only getting 500 EQM each way until end of Feb. Not sure if I will continue that route or get onto another project after that. depending on how long I'm extended for I might have to tough it out with segments to re-qualify as EXP.
This will probably be the only year that I will be able to predict this far in advance. I started a 16 month long project back in October and the client requires me to be on site 3 days per week for a minimum of 90% of the time. So like it or not, I have to fly from AUS to DCA every week. Then, I have a few days of training at various sites across the US, and finally a few weeks of teaching at the company's university.

This is going to be a rough travel year, but for the most part, it should be predictable.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by jsieds
I found it in my promotions tab. Must be signed up by Jan. 14. No idea if its targeted or not, but makes no sense to target me with this promotion given my travel history. The promotion as already posted double EQS for me this year.
Thanks - appears to be targeted as it's not available to me
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA ExePlat
Originally Posted by timmy83
Thanks - appears to be targeted as it's not available to me
I checked and it is indeed targeted. I will have 30 EQS by the end of January.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I was laid off leading up to the holidays despite being a top performer....Should be an interesting year as a low spend EXP
that really sucks.. so sorry for you
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: Plat
Just thought I would check in from time to time to update on progress. The spreadsheet has been really useful. I updated it to do some "what if" scenarios, to see if there were ways to maximize the benefit or accelerate status based on various routes, fares, etc. Yes, still a super excel nerd.

Anyway, status to date:

EQD: $1,936
EQM: 16,790
EQS: 20

I overestimated my average EQD per flight in my initial spreadsheet. By booking so far in advance, my fares have dropped significantly. EQD will be the limiting factor now for each status milestone. So I will requalify GOLD right on target with 30 segments, but PLAT will be at 62 segments, PPRO at 93, and EXP at 155! That jump in EQD from PPRO to EXP is steep. However, the spreadsheet says if I can get my average EQD per segment up by 10%, I could get EXP by 143 segments. I can get it at 133 segments if I bump by 20%.

Time to start booking late
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I don’t keep a spreadsheet but I’ve already booked enough travel through June for PPRO. Will likely hit EXP in September or October with a final tally around $17k EQD and 120k EQM.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:38 am
Suspended

Moving over to Amtrak due to no TSA Pre-Ckeck

As I now don't have TSA Pre-Check due to termination of renewals for NY residents, I am switching to Amtrak for trips around the Northeast and for some longer trips. The NY-DC-Atlanta-New Orleans train, the Crescent, is very nice.

Yes, it's not necessarily logical to take an overnight train trip in order to save time at security, but I have no idea how long a security line at LaGuardia will be without Pre-Check, and I hate unplanned issues. With Amtrak, I just walk to Penn Station and get on (and by boarding at the lower level of the station, there's no line). That is, until incompetent and malicious politicians mess that up, too.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Here is mine:

EQD: $6,759
EQM: 56,751
EQS: 10
Old Feb 17, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Last year was brutal, trying to keep both AA EXP & AS 75K.
This year due to Coronavirus, I pushed out all my Asian travels to second half. Would be a miracle if I requal AA EXP (including definitely give up AS 75K).
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Last year:

EQD: $32,305
EQM: 211,735
EQS: 76

So far this year...

EQD: $14,449
EQM: 77,841
EQS: 17

I will still have a lot of long haul trips but I expect I will not quite keep up this pace for the rest of the year and end up somewhere around $50k EQD and 300,000 EQM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.