Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What is AA's current 'Person of Size' policy? How does one have it enforced?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2019, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

What is AA's current 'Person of Size' policy?

How does one effectively have it enforced?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by v11a

Remember....Santa is a person of size...I would be careful if i were you when reaching into your stocking.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Q. What is AA's current 'Person of Size' policy?

Extra space during travel link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
Q. How does one effectively have it enforced?

I’m not sure I’ve seen it enforced aboard.
skylady likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Q. What is AA's current 'Person of Size' policy?

I’m not sure I’ve seen it enforced aboard.
I would think you ask the only people generally in the cabin during boarding, who work for the airline.
AA has a stated policy. If you make a complaint regarding it, they have to do something or they would be in violation of the law.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Remember....Santa is a person of size...I would be careful if i were you when reaching into your stocking.
Santa takes only private flights!
GaryZ, aaupgrade and Bradhattan like this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Santa takes only private flights!
And has a very large bulkhead/pilot seat, lots of baggage, and makes way more stops than any FTer would like, BUT racks up one heck of a mileage run.
wrp96 and donotblink like this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 4:06 am

Bout tree fiddy.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
I would think you ask the only people generally in the cabin during boarding, who work for the airline.
AA has a stated policy. If you make a complaint regarding it, they have to do something or they would be in violation of the law.

Oh, of course I did.

They said there was no law on the issue and probably no policy.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Oh, of course I did.

Maybe tell us what happened so we can give more productive advice. How much was the offending pax encroaching into your space?
jhartvu likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

It's pretty much up to the passenger who is being encroached upon to bring it to the attention of the FA prior to departure so they can re-seat one of you, or remove the COS. But the airlines aren't profiling people while boarding to check if passengers fit.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103

It's pretty much up to the passenger who is being encroached upon to bring it to the attention of the FA prior to departure so they can re-seat one of you, or remove the COS. But the airlines aren't profiling people while boarding to check if passengers fit.
The definition has two conditions, as it useS the word "AND"
1st. Body extending over one inch.
2nd. Seat belt extension needed.

Most pax will invade your space but most of them don't need a seatbelt extension. Therefore , not a person of size.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K

I saw (before I got to the row) that I had a POS next to me. I pulled the FA aside and asked in private about the options. I had the language from the website and was prepared to ask that they follow their rules, though my last resort was that I would have moved to a later flight because I had some flexibility. She went into solution mode. At no time was I asked to tough it out, even though the plane was full. Being a MOLC (man of larger carriage), I need most of my seat. She quietly asked a couple of smaller people if they would volunteer to switch, and one did. I was a little uncomfortable with that -- I don't know if the young man truly volunteered or felt coerced.

Basically, it worked out as well as it could have, at least for me. I think the only way it could have been improved was at the gate. It was pretty obvious the guy was not going to fit into the seat. If they had been more proactive about it, they might not have cleared some of the standbys, and then could have accommodated the man with an extra seat. The FA even comped me some miles for the inconvenience, though I did not ask. I don't know how much it mattered that I am ExPlat and fly the route most weeks.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
It would take a lot longer to board the flight, but watching people have to sit in the newly created 'sizer' might be worth the cost. I know, my stocking just caught fire...
BWISkyGuy and chitink like this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, of course I did.

AA, by law, must follow its published policies.
And, there is no question about it, this policy is published.
This is the same as carry on baggage. AA sets the limits, and once set, it is required to follow them.
I think all FA's should be aware of the POS policy
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackonferry
I saw (before I got to the row) that I had a POS next to me. I pulled the FA aside and asked in private about the options. I had the language from the website and was prepared to ask that they follow their rules, though my last resort was that I would have moved to a later flight because I had some flexibility. She went into solution mode. At no time was I asked to tough it out, even though the plane was full. Being a MOLC (man of larger carriage), I need most of my seat. She quietly asked a couple of smaller people if they would volunteer to switch, and one did. I was a little uncomfortable with that -- I don't know if the young man truly volunteered or felt coerced.

Basically, it worked out as well as it could have, at least for me. I think the only way it could have been improved was at the gate. It was pretty obvious the guy was not going to fit into the seat. If they had been more proactive about it, they might not have cleared some of the standbys, and then could have accommodated the man with an extra seat. The FA even comped me some miles for the inconvenience, though I did not ask. I don't know how much it mattered that I am ExPlat and fly the route most weeks.
The problem with this is that if they truly followed policy and the passenger was too big for the seat, they should have deboarded the passenger and forced them to by a second seat rather than asking people to change seats on a full flight, still forcing someone to lose seat space.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.