FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is AA's current 'Person of Size' policy? How does one have it enforced?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:18 pm
mvoight
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jackonferry
I saw (before I got to the row) that I had a POS next to me. I pulled the FA aside and asked in private about the options. I had the language from the website and was prepared to ask that they follow their rules, though my last resort was that I would have moved to a later flight because I had some flexibility. She went into solution mode. At no time was I asked to tough it out, even though the plane was full. Being a MOLC (man of larger carriage), I need most of my seat. She quietly asked a couple of smaller people if they would volunteer to switch, and one did. I was a little uncomfortable with that -- I don't know if the young man truly volunteered or felt coerced.

Basically, it worked out as well as it could have, at least for me. I think the only way it could have been improved was at the gate. It was pretty obvious the guy was not going to fit into the seat. If they had been more proactive about it, they might not have cleared some of the standbys, and then could have accommodated the man with an extra seat. The FA even comped me some miles for the inconvenience, though I did not ask. I don't know how much it mattered that I am ExPlat and fly the route most weeks.
The problem with this is that if they truly followed policy and the passenger was too big for the seat, they should have deboarded the passenger and forced them to by a second seat rather than asking people to change seats on a full flight, still forcing someone to lose seat space.