Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Promotion to qualify for status in 2020

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I think it would be very rare, especially at the lower tiers, to hit that EQD requirement without also hitting EQMs by pure accident.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I think it would be very rare, especially at the lower tiers, to hit that EQD requirement without also hitting EQMs by pure accident.
Perhaps mine is an edge case, but I often take high dollar, short distance flights in economy. I typically blow the EXP EQD requirement out of the water, but struggle to qualify via EQS. A promo like this would be very welcome for me, but alas I seem not to have been targeted.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Great news for me. I don't prioritize AA currently, but I'll finish 2019 with just over 4k EQDs but around 10k EQMs. The extra 1k in EQDs is about 2 of the right roundtrips, which should be easy enough.

Originally Posted by bchandler02
I can only speak ex-DCA, but we have many regional (<500 mile) routes that can easy go for over $500 roundtrip. I regularly rack up EQDs without coming close to the EQM requirements.
lbbzman, Often1 and Flyertalker1 like this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:21 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by bse118
I'm not reading much into this yet. My guess is AA thought UA's new approach was going to attract some of the real high spenders away, wasn't prepared, and rushed out a promotional program.
I would have guessed that AA and DL would have waited a year to see how UA's program changes worked out. However, UA likely will not address the efficacy of the program in a public way, so AA would have to hear "through the grapevine" and find some way to measure if there are fewer high-dollar customers that spent on AA that could feasibly switch to UA (i.e. folks out of ORD). A promotion like this provides a much more direct way to measure the effectiveness of a spending-based qualification: was the cohort that qualified exclusively on spending more valuable than those that qualified on EQMs?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: UGS, AA CK
Originally Posted by Beachfun71
I did not get a notification, but it is on the Promotions page in my account info in the app.

not in the app either for me.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
The fact that you get a full two years of status out of the deal is pretty compelling though, right?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by donotblink
The fact that you get a full two years of status out of the deal is pretty compelling though, right?
It is only one year.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I was all excited when I read this thread and immediately checked the promo page on my app-- no promo for me I've gone in the past year from being one of the people who easily hit the EQM threshold but had very few EQDs, to having lots of EQDs but relatively few EQMs, so it would have been a good trade-off. It will be interesting to figure out who's being targeted for this option.
Flyertalker1 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 8:56 am

I'm not surprised by this. The past couple of years when AA has offered the buy up promo for status, my offer has always been roughly the difference between the EQD requirement and what I'd already spent on AA that year.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Exp Plat, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold, UA Silver, AF Silver, National EE, Hertz Pres Circle
I wonder how they’ll tie additional SWU to EQD now. Got the offer, no brainer for me as a high EQD/EQS and low EQM flyer
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Well. There goes one shoe. Next year, the other shoe will drop and the normal requirements will go away. Due to our “favorable response” to the promotion.
apeortdz, Gig103 and freeagent like this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Must be worried about loosing HVF to United. This allows them to have the best of both worlds in the meantime.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
I am finishing up this year with 24.3K in EQD and 200+K in EQM. So no offer for me even though I wouldn't sign up because of the
weird language regarding the ways to qualify.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by lbbzman
Perhaps mine is an edge case, but I often take high dollar, short distance flights in economy. I typically blow the EXP EQD requirement out of the water, but struggle to qualify via EQS. A promo like this would be very welcome for me, but alas I seem not to have been targeted.
The same for me and most of my colleagues.

Hub based, so most flights are on AA. Combination of standard priced $300-$500 rtns to main cities and regionals priced $700-$1200, all relatively short notice. All Y fares. Some international in Y very occasionally P.

All of the above see’s our spend at PPRO / EXP levels with our EQM / EQS at GLD / PLT level.

I took a dozen or so return regionals last year with prices between $700-$1,200. Only nets 12k EQM but the EQD is about $9-$10K. Spend at PPRO, but EQM and EQS less than GLD.
lbbzman likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I didn't get the email but it showed up in my promotions on the app. I accepted but it disappeared from there and didn't get a confirmation email that I'd registered. Anyone else have the same thing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.