Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Account Shut Down - Recourse/Appeal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage Account Shut Down - Recourse/Appeal?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2019, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
1. OP is not being as transparent as he can be. There may be reasons for that, but it does not change the fact that he is being opaque because it is self-evident that he has engaged in some manufactured spending scheme which he believed was a "workaround" and then refuses to disclose what that was.

2. The "we had a contract" angle, including DOT, is simply the product of not reading the contract (t&c). The miles never belonged to OP in the first place. The tickets, once the miles were revoked, were not paid for and just like other tickets which are not paid for, e.g., check bounces, cash is forged, or whatever, were cancelled.
Yes, this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
AA is not really involved here except in managing theAAdvantage account.
No. First, it's probably a safe bet that Citi is getting those miles at a steep discount. And since the credit card is an affinity card, I would imagine that AA is getting a percentage of the credit card spend. And, of course, AA has to provide the transportation which those miles can purchase, possibly even buying that transportation from a OneWorld partner airline. AA is very involved in AAdvantage transactions, including credit card signup bonuses.

Originally Posted by donotblink
I think the OP is covered by the DOT, which should supersede any contractual language AA has. AA doesn't have the right to summarily cancel ticketed reservations in this manner. I believe the OP is protected based on this:

Can an airline increase the price of my ticket after I complete the booking process?
After a ticket is fully purchased – with either money or points – and the transaction is completed, the airline is prohibited from increasing the price of the ticket or requiring the passenger to pay additional money unless the airline provided notice to the consumer of the potential for an increase in a government imposed tax or fee and obtained the consumer’s consent.
This is irrelevant to the situation. AA hasn't increased the price of the ticket. The ticket was paid for with a private currency (AA miles) which never belonged to the OP. AA has cancelled the ticket and confiscated the miles due to abuse of the program. It hasn't raised the price of the ticket; and it isn't "requiring the passenger to pay additional money".
Old Nov 30, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
OP:

Simply let us know the details of the "well known work around that takes advantage of offers from Citi that do not have what normally would be restrictive wording." and how you utilized that work around. I'm pretty confident that the answer to all of your questions and issues lies within those details.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think the OP is covered by the DOT, which should supersede any contractual language AA has. AA doesn't have the right to summarily cancel ticketed reservations in this manner. I believe the OP is protected based on this:
The passenger hasn't paid for the ticket since the miles used to pay for the ticket have been confiscated - if paid by credit card and a dispute of the payment clawed back the payment of a ticket, the airline wouldn't have to honour the ticket
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
No. First, it's probably a safe bet that Citi is getting those miles at a steep discount. And since the credit card is an affinity card, I would imagine that AA is getting a percentage of the credit card spend. And, of course, AA has to provide the transportation which those miles can purchase, possibly even buying that transportation from a OneWorld partner airline. AA is very involved in AAdvantage transactions, including credit card signup bonuses.

This is irrelevant to the situation. AA hasn't increased the price of the ticket. The ticket was paid for with a private currency (AA miles) which never belonged to the OP. AA has cancelled the ticket and confiscated the miles due to abuse of the program. It hasn't raised the price of the ticket; and it isn't "requiring the passenger to pay additional money".
The DOT only appears to have provisions for carriers to summarily cancel tickets for mistake fares. It doesn't appear that this was a mistake fare. The OP had an issued ticket. Canceling the OP's validly issued tickets is effectively "increasing the price of the ticket (and) requiring the passenger to pay additional money" to get a new valid ticket issued. To be clear i'm not making any argument about the OP's miles that were not already used in exchange for tickets being confiscated, but I think canceling issued tickets creates a dangerous precedent. These were not tickets that were purchased using someone else's stolen credit card, or with a bounced check. The OP had miles that were credited to his or her account and used them. They then make other refundable or nonrefundable travel plans. When someone purchases a ticket using any form of currency, they have a right and an expectation that the ticket purchased will be valid for transportation. They precedent they are setting would allow them to, for instance, look at oversold flights, and summarily cancel someone's validly issued ticket at a low price and claim that they can cancel any ticket at any time for any reason. That individual would then have to buy a new ticket at what would likely be a much higher fare because prices and availability change constantly and often go up closer to the flight time.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The passenger hasn't paid for the ticket since the miles used to pay for the ticket have been confiscated - if paid by credit card and a dispute of the payment clawed back the payment of a ticket, the airline wouldn't have to honour the ticket
Miles are deducted at the time the ticket is issued. The unused miles in the OP's account have been confiscated, but the miles used to pay for the tickets that have not been flown yet were no longer in the OPs account and had already been used.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Arrow

The OP is -not- telling the whole story.

Therefore, any conclusions/theories/etc that are made simply based on what the OP has posted thus far (and extrapolating there from,) will be faulty.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Miles are deducted at the time the ticket is issued. The unused miles in the OP's account have been confiscated, but the miles used to pay for the tickets that have not been flown yet were no longer in the OPs account and had already been used.
Si, exactamente. This situation is very problematic not only for the OP, but for all AAdvantage members and pax in general because en primero the activity that triggered the confiscation is not clear to the account holder - many peoples are arguing it is the CC bonuses but if these were not obtained fraudulently and all in accord with Citi T&C then why and where does stop? y segundo, if ttickets are issued and paid for completely with nonfraudulent currency including millas per DOT page, then they are valid tickets per rule.

AA is draconian but they overreach and at some point, all pax benefit from pushback. AA likes nontransparent conditions they can use against customers in secretive and arbitrary ways, do you remember reading the letter sent by AA counsel to DOT after enforcement of RGN round 1 fares?

PayPal tries similar tactics but have experienced class action lawsuits regarding claimed T&C that were not published or transparent and account freezes.

Muchachos! If 1.7 milion millas accumlado in this way triggered the account forfeit, then why does it not happen with 1 million or 500K millas? How many of us have such balances? Where does it stop? Perhaps some of you think it's OK at this level but as the trigger number falls then the shoe is on the other foot. What happens when we buy $99 fares from LAX to MEX and AA decides secretly this is passed the "mistake" threshold? Then there will be mass pushback. At this time AA is bold because lack of pushback.

I do not dispute AA has the right to set conditions. But I believe such conditions must be made known to customers as they are exactly for all our ticket purchases. Look how many pages of small print describing B basic economy T&C! Very different from this...

I hope OP files complaint not only with DOT but with FTC regarding published T&C of award tickets and the invalidation in this secretive and underhand way.

Unfortunately any account with any rewards program can be closed at any time for any reason without advanced notice. The AA Security team flagged the OP's account and followed the transactions and history and decided that the OP is violating the terms and conditions of the AA program. Now the OP could write in a letter to AA And perhaps a probationary period can be enacted whereby the OP must follow the rules to the T and no more infractions moving forward. But again AA has a business to run as do other hotels and airlines etc so AA feels that the OP is going against their business model.

While a warning letter would be nice that is a courtesy not a legal requirement. Also AA is under no obligation to serve the OP and their lawyers will stand by AA and if the OP could get a case going more than likely AA would win . Also AA could ban the OP from other One World carriers or allow the OP to book codeshares via Avios on AA. The OP I believe has little to no recourse if they admitted to doing something fishy. AA can easily look up the OP's post and others here.

The OP has other airlines but should not continue these practices with other airlines. I am sure there is more to the story because AA would not lock and deactivate an account there has to be some egregious activity like throw away ticketing or booking tickets for relatives and asking for compensation etc.
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The DOT post purchase rule has nothing -- absolutely nothing -- to do with this situation. That rule covers increases in price after the purchase is complete. AA has not done that. It has simply determined that the payment method was invalid and has cancelled the ticket accordingly. OP remains free to purchase a ticket using some other form of payment.
WindowSeatFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:32 pm

It sounds like OP may have utilized Citi's "no language" app loophole to get sign up bonuses again and again. If and if this is the extent of OP's miles accumulation aside from flying or CC spend, it is rather unsettling that AA took this action.

And it also begs the question:

a) if AA acquired Citi's help for a joint-investigation, then why hasn't Citi shut down OP's accounts (afawk)?

Based on what we do know so far, this sounds way over the top.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:36 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
It wouldn’t make any sense that this is the whole story.

i still take exception to many of the posters here claiming that AA is in their rights to just unilaterally close any account they want. The account holder needs to violate a rule in the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions. When accounts are closed, there is always a reason that can be found in direct violation of terms.

Churning Citi cards, while perhaps a reason for a Citi account review, would not be a violation of any AA T&C.

If someone claims otherwise, please copy and paste the T&C you feel relevant.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
The OP is -not- telling the whole story.

Therefore, any conclusions/theories/etc that are made simply based on what the OP has posted thus far (and extrapolating there from,) will be faulty.
The general question is whether heavy credit card churning and similar actions are likely to lead to problems with AAdvantage. What do you think?
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
Originally Posted by shimps1
Fair enough but if that is the case then this is much bigger news than just my situation. There are plenty of others that I'm sure have accounts just like ours.
I don't see how it's news at all. If you're gaming a system you know there's a cumulative risk that the further you push it the greater the chance someone's going to get pissed about it and/or shut it down hard.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fraser
I didn’t think holds worked within 7 days?
As an EXP you can hold award tickets within the 7-day window, but not paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.