Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA travel voucher value more than offered

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA, WN

Wife and I received DB vouchers recently and I redeemed them for more value than issued for. Each voucher had a value of $475, or total of $950. Booked two tickets for a total of $849. Redeemed them today at the airport for the two tickets. Should have gotten back a voucher for $101, but instead received $201. When asked why the tickets priced out different than what the booked reservation valued them at the answer puzzled me. The agent told me when the tickets cost less then the value of the vouchers there are no tax’s collected on them, hum. Can anyone shed an option on this?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by mrlasssen
The agent told me when the tickets cost less then the value of the vouchers there are no tax’s collected on them, hum. Can anyone shed an option on this?
The obvious answer from the info given seems to be that $100 in taxes were not charged. Any reason this might not be?

(Not sure if that sheds an option though)
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CPRich
The obvious answer from the info given seems to be that $100 in taxes were not charged. Any reason this might not be?

Taxes arent collected on vouchers. For example, a flight that priced out at 200 bucks was only 170 something when I used my voucher.

Not sure what opinion is there on this. But heres a confirmation.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich

First a correction, the new voucher is $210.02. The answer from the agent was there were no tax’s on the tickets because the price of them was less than the value of the voucher, I have received several DB’s in the past and never run into this. Not complaining only asking if anyone has seen this before.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
First a correction, the new voucher is $210.02. The answer from the agent was there were no tax’s on the tickets because the price of them was less than the value of the voucher, I have received several DB’s in the past and never run into this. Not complaining only asking if anyone has seen this before.
This is not new. I believe you do not pay the Federal Excise tax, but I don't remember if there is anything else you don't pay.
I am fairly sure you pay the security fee.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Your exact situation (no taxes charged when the value of the voucher is greater than the price of the ticket(s)) has happened to me (as recently as 4 days ago). One caveat is that if the price of the ticket(s) is greater than the value of the voucher by even a small amount the full taxes will be charged against the voucher.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:51 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As others have mentioned, when you pay for a flight where the voucher amount > ticket amount, certain taxes are backed out.

Here's an example tax breakdown from a recent ticket of mine:

Total fare when I put the reservation on hold was $376.60

Base fare: $323.72
Taxes/fees: $52.88
  • $9.00 Passenger Facility Charge (XF) stays in
  • $8.40 Segment Tax (ZP) is backed out
  • $24.28 Transportation Tax (US) is backed out
  • $11.20 Security Fee (AY) is backed out

So when my ticket was issued, only $332.72 ($323.72+$9.00) was deducted from my voucher.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Also to know that the voucher for the remaining balance carriers an issue date of the the day I ticketed adding 5 months to the validity of the decided boarding date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.