Search

AA J award vs BA award choice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
AA J award vs BA award choice

I'm already booked on a AA dfw-rdu-lhr flight on 12/23. My first leg gets in early and I have 7 hours to spend in Raleigh. Fine that's cool I rented a car and planned to see museums.

There is a BA saver J available on the same day--dfw-las-lgw and because it's not lhr the taxes are only $260. Gatwick is close to my mom's house compared to heathrow so I would be able to be picked up. I would save a car rental cost in raleigh, plus train fare in lhr so it's a wash. My only concern is how bad is the 777 on BA for 14 hours in their J. I flew their 388 service a month ago and the hard product was great but the food sucked.

What would you do?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I'd take the BA LAS-LGW, simply for the longer overnight flight and hence more/better sleep.

RDU-LHR is simply too short for meaningful sleep, at least for me.

Sure the BA J seat isn't exactly market leading, but I sleep fine in it. And the food's bad either way.
enviroian likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
My only concern is how bad is the 777 on BA for 14 hours in their J.
LAS-LGW is definitely not 14 hours

Personally I'd also go with the BA option, I don't really have too much of an issue with the window seats on eastbound TATLs.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacar
LAS-LGW is definitely not 14 hours

Personally I'd also go with the BA option, I don't really have too much of an issue with the window seats on eastbound TATLs.
yeah typo. looks like wheels up to down at 9:30
Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
take the BA option...normally I would prefer AA for the J seats,
but having taken tons of BA flights in J.. I sleep fine.. the food is fine too.
I assume (i know big mistake) you want to get mums home sooner than later.
No point in spending 7 hours in RDU.. when your mind will be on getting home.
Plus , the weather might be an issue too.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I'd go with BA. Longer overnight flight to allow for better sleep. Plus you could end up with with the AA 772 Zodiac seats on RDU-LHR that I don't really care for.

Only thing that would make me slightly hesitate with taking the BA flight is the prospect of ending up in one of the middle seats.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 3:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are the 'taxes' only $260 ? The carrier surcharge for USA-UK in business class on BA or AA for a ticket originating USA is $600.00 - or is this a r/t award journey that originated in UK?

At $260 , I would take the BA option
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Are the 'taxes' only $260 ? The carrier surcharge for USA-UK in business class on BA or AA for a ticket originating USA is $600.00 - or is this a r/t award journey that originated in UK?

At $260 , I would take the BA option
It’s a one way reward. I will call AA and ask if that $260 Isn’t accurate. If it is obviously I won’t be taking. A similar route to LHR was indeed $660 but to LGW its $260. At least that’s what my itinerary on hold says.

ETA here is the tax and fees:

Taxes & Carrier-Imposed Fees

Taxes 33.20 USD

Carrier-Imposed Fees 225.00 USD

Total Taxes and Carrier-Imposed Fees 258.20 USD

Last edited by enviroian; Dec 14, 2019 at 7:25 am
Old Dec 14, 2019, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
The fuel surcharges should not differ between flying into LHR vs LGW. Looking at a similar DFW-ORD-LHR routing on 12/24 I see the same $258 in taxes and fees (ORD-LHR on BA). Looking at a nonstop JFK-LHR I see $253.

Has BA reduced the fuel surcharges for departing the US?!

If yes this is fantastic news for once. $250 still sucks compared to $5.60 but is way better than $600.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm on the phone with AA now. I stated the YQ surcharge seems too low and I don't want to get hit with a whammy when I leave the UK. "Hold on let me get the rate department on the phone to confirm taxes".

Booked. They said the reason it's only $258 because I'm going from the US to the UK. The other way around would be subject to a higher tax. This doesn't seem right but it's ticketed.
MorganB likes this.

Last edited by enviroian; Dec 14, 2019 at 10:02 am
Old Dec 14, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The fuel surcharges should not differ between flying into LHR vs LGW. Looking at a similar DFW-ORD-LHR routing on 12/24 I see the same $258 in taxes and fees (ORD-LHR on BA). Looking at a nonstop JFK-LHR I see $253.

Has BA reduced the fuel surcharges for departing the US?!

If yes this is fantastic news for once. $250 still sucks compared to $5.60 but is way better than $600.
Evidently BA reduced the coach surcharges back in August according to this VFTW post: https://viewfromthewing.com/british-...ow-make-sense/

Have they extended to premium cabins?

(Hmmm...I just did a random spot check...AA.com is quoting DEN-LAX-LHR in January with BA over the pond at 57.5K SAAver and $268...so yes?)
Old Dec 14, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by enviroian

Booked. They said the reason it's only $258 because I'm going from the US to the UK. The other way around would be subject to a higher tax. This doesn't seem right but it's ticketed.
If I've been told correctly there is a luxury tax when flying out of the UK for J cabin (I've paid the tax of about 110$ when I've used SWU ) but when flying to the UK there isn't a luxury tax.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MorganB
If I've been told correctly there is a luxury tax when flying out of the UK for J cabin (I've paid the tax of about 110$ when I've used SWU ) but when flying to the UK there isn't a luxury tax.
Yes I did know about that and have paid that before.

FWIW I looked at the saver F dfw-atl-lhr and the $660 YQ is still there.
MorganB likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MorganB
The UK Air Passenger Duty (APD) applies to departures from the UK. It does not apply to arrivals into the UK, or to connections via the UK if the trip originates outside the UK.

The APD does apply to Economy Class flights, but it is cheaper for Economy Class flights than for flights in premium cabins.
MorganB likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This may be a game changer if one ways on BA CW are only $268 taxes/fees, considering the availability compared to AA metal. No, they aren't as good as AA but isn't BA rolling out new CW cabins?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.