Wiki Posts
Search

Standby Seat Assignments

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Standby Seat Assignments

Mild rant here-but also a legitimate question I think...

Does anybody know the method/policy on how seat assignments are determined at the gate as they’re clearing standbys?

Context: Yesterday, I was flying ATL-DFW and I got to the airport in time to standby on an earlier flight. I was #2 out of 28 people on the standby list, and by the time I had got to the gate, the first six on the list had cleared... So, I go to the podium to get my BP and it’s seat 30A (last row, window on a 738 for those unaware). I grimace but figure “tough luck, at least I’m getting home earlier.”

As I’m in line to board, they called #7 up to the podium to clear and I caught a glimpse of him as he received his new BP. After settling into my seat, I notice him take a window seat in the exit row... It’s seemingly unfair to me that a presumably lower status customer gets a better seat while I’m stuck being (literally) the last person off the aircraft with two crying babies in the seat in front of me.

For what it’s worth-I’ve also scored MCE several times using same-day standby, so it’s not all bad... Just wondering if there’s any official policy.

And yes-this is a major 1st world problem.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
You said #7 was called later than the first 6. So a 7th seat (the exit row) opened up after you had already been assigned a seat. In that case, they probably gave you the best seat that was available at the time (not a middle).

When the previous occupant of Exit row window got upgraded (or confirmed a missed connection), then that seat opened up, they called up #7 , and gave him the only available seat.

That'd be my guess.
BOSishome and FAA1996 like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I have no idea what the formula is meant to be but on the odd occasion I standby for an earlier flight I am usually given a choice. For example, flying LAS - LAX with the other half we were called up to the podium and asked if we wanted two middle seats in the exit row, or two seats together at the back of the bus. We took the two middle seats. Last week we got row 5 (bulkhead) flying LAS - LAX but I wasn't given a choice, although I did have to remind the agent that I was entitled to a same day change because of status.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
I always ask if they have window MCE when i go standby (3-5x a year). In each case i can remember I've been given the best seat possible. Furthest to the front non-middle. However i do notice that they print all boarding passes out when they are clearing the list. So if i was say #6 but very near the gate and go up first , and ask for something specific thy could change it. Never happened, but possible i guess.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Agents go down the list and try to seat best to worst. Or at least most GAs do. After that, other seats may open up later. GAs are unlikely to circle back later and give you a better seat if it's late in the game. The priority at that point is timely boarding. There is no rule requiring GAs to give best seats to earliest standby, it's only a recommended gesture time permitting.

Honestly most GAs won't because they want to focus on boarding or other flight aspects as to not take a delay and take the hit for it.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:33 pm

Depends on the agent . There are ( or were ) two options to process the standby list. You could either simply “accommodate all “ in which case the system will assign everyone a seat , or the agent could individually go through the list and assign a seat.
JonNYC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.