Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA launching DFW-AKL and LAX-CHC in 2020

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
The Antarctic Programme season coincides with the AA season. You'd be surprised at how many scientists (and politicians) come down here to see the ice.
And a lot of support staff at CHC airport and on the ice flown in for the season.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
It would be so convenient for those of us who want to go to the South Island, but I am a bit surprised that they will have enough people to fly LAX-CHC even at 3x weekly seasonally. Christchurch isn't a huge city, so it would be almost all US tourists. But, then again, the South Island is one of the most beautiful spots on earth. I wonder what percentage of tourists would rather to go ZQN instead of CHC? When I flew NZ in 2008/9, it was SFO-AKL-CHC then ZQN-AKL, and then AKL-SFO.
Plenty, I’m sure. But the runway at ZQN is 2,300 feet too short for a fully laden 788 to take off.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS NZ*G Elite QF*G
Even if you were immediately flying on to ZQN, the transit in CHC will be a lot nicer than in Auckland, where you have to change terminals.
deeruck and logicalrealist like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by bleater
Even if you were immediately flying on to ZQN, the transit in CHC will be a lot nicer than in Auckland, where you have to change terminals.
That's for sure.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bleater
It's actually a lovely drive from CHC to ZQN! On the wrong side of the road of course.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
It's actually a lovely drive from CHC to ZQN! On the wrong side of the road of course.
I hope you have diplomatic immunity
ijgordon and CHCflyer like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Im going later this month! If I waited til next year, I could’ve had flagship dining??
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:11 pm

During october-march 2020 and 2021 AA will be flying more than double the amounts of seats to NZ than Australia. How ironic.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
This is a terrific addition. Lets hope its successful. Flying to CHC makes life much much easier for a lot of tourists and certainly is a major jumping off point for the camper van crowd.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by chenalex
Im going later this month! If I waited til next year, I could’ve had flagship dining??
No.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Originally Posted by Philipp Morgenstern
During october-march 2020 and 2021 AA will be flying more than double the amounts of seats to NZ than Australia. How ironic.
These flights are part of the agreement struck with the NZ aviation authority to green light the tighter AA/Qantas relationship. A quid pro quo, to cite common language and current events.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:33 am
Suspended

Question

Originally Posted by rowingman
These flights are part of the agreement struck with the NZ aviation authority to green light the tighter AA/Qantas relationship. A quid pro quo, to cite common language and current events.
I've heard that theory before

Do you have anything authoritative on that?

I've been looking to confirm that for a while.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I've heard that theory before
https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1...506170881?s=20

Do you have anything authoritative on that?

I've been looking to confirm that for a while.
There have been rather clear indications for years now that NZ regulators were involved and have their own pound of flesh to demand of the Qantas-AA JBA/JV, such as in this:

https://www.transport.govt.nz/assets...or-website.pdf
Old Oct 31, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
EK fly SYD-CHC every day with an A380. Several Asian airlines fly to CHC with wide body aircraft. And no hills or mountains close by.
USA fly to Antarctic from CHC . They use a large C-17. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing...lobemaster_III
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...arctic_Program
They take a long time to lift off the runway and has a very slow climb rate
C17 is a STOL (short take off and landing) military aircraft designed to get into all sorts of airfields, even dirt runways.

it should not be used to determine which airfields are suitable for wide body passenger aircraft.

it’s actually a very powerful aircraft and can climb very fast.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by justinbrett
C17 is a STOL (short take off and landing) military aircraft designed to get into all sorts of airfields, even dirt runways.

it should not be used to determine which airfields are suitable for wide body passenger aircraft.

it’s actually a very powerful aircraft and can climb very fast.
CHC has a 10,787ft runway at sea level, with low summer temps. They'll be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.