AA launching DFW-AKL and LAX-CHC in 2020

Old Oct 28, 19, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
AA launching DFW-AKL and LAX-CHC in 2020

Newsroom - American Airlines Becomes the Only Carrier to Fly from the U.S. to the South Island of New Zealand - American Airlines Group, Inc.

Old Oct 28, 19, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, National Exec
That would have been nice to have this past June. DFW-LAX-SYD-AKL makes for a long travel day.
ChurchofTee and Sweetone like this.
Old Oct 28, 19, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Didn't NZ who tried CHC-LAX over two decades ago?

Wow! Great news! DFW-AKL is the first-ever nonstop. They never flown it before. It's actually where NZ who already flew IAH-AKL by operated 777-300ER aircraft.
Old Oct 28, 19, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I'm not sure how anyone except CKs will be able to take advantage of "Flagship Dining" given no F on these flights, unless their connecting to/from an Int'l F or trancon in the case of LAX:

What does this mean at LAX?

• American and its partners serve more destinations to Asia/Pacific from LAX.
  • Customers traveling through LAX can take advantage of the most premium amenities of any carrier with three Admirals Club lounges, Flagship Lounge and Flagship Dining.

What does this mean at DFW?

• In addition to new routes, American continues to invest in airport construction and development to deliver a world-class customer experience.
  • Customers can get cozy in five Admirals Club lounges and recently opened Flagship Lounge and Flagship Dining.
Old Oct 28, 19, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA, NH, Amex
Pretty cool, might be on my list for 2021!
N830MH likes this.
Old Oct 28, 19, 1:41 pm

Awesome, I definitely want to go to New Zealand within the next few years... hope it lasts.
N830MH likes this.
Old Oct 28, 19, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Together with Air NZ that's a lot of extra capacity USA-NZ. Wonder if it will effect/reduce the existing AA LAX-AKL route. UA also fly LAXSFO-AKL. Air NZ fly AKL to various USA airports and are adding more. And USA-Aust capacity is planned to be increased in the next year or so.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 28, 19 at 3:04 pm Reason: corrected LAX/SFO-AKL
Old Oct 28, 19, 2:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HH, SPG Gold
Hooray! This will be a welcome addition.
Old Oct 28, 19, 3:01 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Together with Air NZ that's a lot of extra capacity USA-NZ. Wonder if it will effect/reduce the existing AA LAX-AKL route. UA also fly LAX-AKL. Air NZ fly AKL to various USA airports and are adding more. And USA-Aust capacity is planned to be increased in the next year or so.
I think you meant UA also fly SFO-AKL
Old Oct 28, 19, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew View Post
I think you meant UA also fly SFO-AKL
Yes, they do, but not LAX-AKL.
Old Oct 28, 19, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
It would be so convenient for those of us who want to go to the South Island, but I am a bit surprised that they will have enough people to fly LAX-CHC even at 3x weekly seasonally. Christchurch isn't a huge city, so it would be almost all US tourists. But, then again, the South Island is one of the most beautiful spots on earth. I wonder what percentage of tourists would rather to go ZQN instead of CHC? When I flew NZ in 2008/9, it was SFO-AKL-CHC then ZQN-AKL, and then AKL-SFO.
Old Oct 28, 19, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
It would be so convenient for those of us who want to go to the South Island, but I am a bit surprised that they will have enough people to fly LAX-CHC even at 3x weekly seasonally. Christchurch isn't a huge city, so it would be almost all US tourists. But, then again, the South Island is one of the most beautiful spots on earth. I wonder what percentage of tourists would rather to go ZQN instead of CHC? When I flew NZ in 2008/9, it was SFO-AKL-CHC then ZQN-AKL, and then AKL-SFO.
ZQN is a small airport. I guess it would not get a wide aircraft in or out. B737/A320 is all it takes. The tourist trap of Queenstown is not all that is in the South Island.

But agree suspect it will be hard to get a good load. Large wide body aircraft need paying business class pax to make the economics work. But Oct 2020 is long time away: the travel market changes
Old Oct 28, 19, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
ZQN is a small airport. I guess it would not get a wide aircraft in or out. B737/A320 is all it takes. The tourist trap of Queenstown is not all that is in the South Island.

But agree suspect it will be hard to get a good load. Large wide body aircraft need paying business class pax to make the economics work. But Oct 2020 is long time away: the travel market changes
Not like CHC is a huge airport either, but it is much bigger than ZQN. I agree that Queenstown is not the place to spend your entire trip. But, it's a great jumping off point for Milford Sound, Mount Cook, and lots of other great sights on the west coast of the South Island.
JonNYC and dciolli like this.
Old Oct 28, 19, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
Not like CHC is a huge airport either, but it is much bigger than ZQN....
EK fly SYD-CHC every day with an A380. Several Asian airlines fly to CHC with wide body aircraft. And no hills or mountains close by.
USA fly to Antarctic from CHC . They use a large C-17. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing...lobemaster_III
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...arctic_Program
They take a long time to lift off the runway and has a very slow climb rate
Old Oct 28, 19, 4:24 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The Antarctic Programme season coincides with the AA season. You'd be surprised at how many scientists (and politicians) come down here to see the ice.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: