Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Executive Platinum Status: Functional Uses For Domestic US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Executive Platinum Status: Functional Uses For Domestic US?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Maybe, however UA having a more generous lounge access policy for certain elites on int'l itineraries is something completely different than potentially giving all EXPs (and PLTs and PLT Pros) lounge access on all normal domestic itineraries, which is what is being discussed here.
Right, just pointing out that theres a middle ground that AA also isnt offering.

Anyway, a de facto AC membership could be had for as little as $100 until 2016 or 2017 (Citi Prestige card). Has there been a noticeable decline in crowding since that perk/option went away?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I only suggested CK and EXP. Are there THAT many EXP out there?
It's not just how many there are, it's the fact that they're flying a lot more than most others. So their % in the airport on a given day will be much much larger than their % of total AAdvantage members.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
It's not just how many there are, it's the fact that they're flying a lot more than most others. So their % in the airport on a given day will be much much larger than their % of total AAdvantage members.
I am at about 23-26K 12 month trailing EQD - and I don't believe I have been #1 for upgrades once this year (before processing gate list) - usually I am somewhere between 2-5 - so even if there were only 5-6 EXP per flight - that ends up adding up pretty quickly
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:04 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
Emerald Status at LAX

Thanks for all the replies. I am landing in LAX in a couple of hours and have a long layover. From comments on here, my Emerald status wont provide me any club access. Suggestions for the layover?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by DMPHL
And say that 10% of them currently have Admirals Club Memberships...That's 15,000 to 20,000 at ~$500. That's $7.5M to $10M dollars in revenue, not counting for family memberships, etc.
I wonder what it costs to run the network of Admirals Clubs.

Originally Posted by flying_geek
I am at about 23-26K 12 month trailing EQD - and I don't believe I have been #1 for upgrades once this year (before processing gate list) - usually I am somewhere between 2-5 - so even if there were only 5-6 EXP per flight - that ends up adding up pretty quickly
I'm at 48K 12 month trailing EQDs. I was recently #1 on the upgrade list on 126 HKG-DFW (got the upgrade a couple of days before flight) and #2 on 193 LAX-HKG (got the upgrade at the gate). There were 43 names on the upgrade list on 193. Only numbers 1 and 2 were upgraded. Both of my upgrades (126 and 193) were Y-J.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jpsj
Thanks for all the replies. I am landing in LAX in a couple of hours and have a long layover. From comments on here, my Emerald status wont provide me any club access. Suggestions for the layover?
Where are you landing from?
Where are you connecting to?

If either of those are an international long haul you will have lounge access
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jpsj
Assuming you're on a wholly domestic itinerary, you can access the Admirals Club with your membership. There's one in T4, T5, and the Eagle's Nest.

You might also head over to In 'n Out and do some plane spotting.
teemuflyer likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Visit as many terminals as you can just to say that you did.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
You might also head over to In 'n Out and do some plane spotting.
This suggestion always surprises me.
I live in LA (13 miles north of the airport) and my office is just 2 miles from the airport.
I know the area very well.

I love In&Out but Going to in&out is hassle, even if just for a lunch break. We must be really craving it to make the trip on a lunch break. Now, I can't fathom doing it on a layover.

The airport loop traffic nightmare would make me want to just stay at the lounge for starters.
Second, getting a burger at in&out is also a pain. Drive thru cars usually block the entry to the parking lot, which will force an uncomfortable uber stop to drop off.
And then stand in line (it is always crowded) to order the food.
Once the burger is in front of you you may wonder, was all this worth it?

And effective today rideshare and taxis can't pick up from the curb at LAX. So going to in&out implies getting on the new bus, getting dropped off at Lot 1, ordering an Uber/Lyft/Taxi and then head to In&out.
Or walk 1 mile on beatiful (not) Sepulveda Blvd (not walking friendly)
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'm a bit confused. In the initial post the OP said "I have an AA Club membership" which I took as an AC membership? If so why can't the OP access the AC between flights?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I live in LA (13 miles north of the airport) and my office is just 2 miles from the airport.

I love In&Out but Going to in&out is hassle, even if just for a lunch break. We must be really craving it to make the trip on a lunch break. Now, I can't fathom doing it on a layover.

The airport loop traffic nightmare would make me want to just stay at the lounge for starters.
Second, getting a burger at in&out is also a pain. Drive thru cars usually block the entry to the parking lot, which will force an uncomfortable uber stop to drop off.

And effective today rideshare and taxis can't pick up from the curb at LAX. So going to in&out implies getting on the new bus, getting dropped off at Lot 1, ordering an Uber/Lyft/Taxi and then head to In&out.
I have taken one of the rental car buses to get close to In n' Out, and when the weather cooperates., didn't mind the walk. I do think that having the restaurant right under the landing path makes for some pretty cool viewing while munching on a burger and fries (after the wait, of course). Would I do it every time, heck no, but if one has a long layover, it something different to due at minimal cost and a somewhat unique experience for a fast food joint.
flyingeph12 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:55 am

I would agree that heading over to In n Out is not something I would do on a 2-3 hour layover where the choice otherwise would be to stay at the airport in a lounge. But if one is looking to leave the airport on a long layover, I would say In n Out is one of the more convenient and interesting things to do. I have walked to In n Out from T4, and its not a bad walk in my opinion. With the mess of the road/Uber situation at LAX, I actually think walking wouldnt be too much longer. But I am a fast walker and usually travel light.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I would agree that heading over to In ‘n Out is not something I would do on a 2-3 hour layover where the choice otherwise would be to stay at the airport in a lounge. But if one is looking to leave the airport on a “long” layover, I would say In ‘n Out is one of the more convenient and interesting things to do. I have walked to In ‘n Out from T4, and it’s not a bad walk in my opinion. With the mess of the road/Uber situation at LAX, I actually think walking wouldn’t be too much longer. But I am a fast walker and usually travel light.
I am just saying, going to In&Out during a long layover is not for everybody, particularly not for your average person that likes fancy lounges and business class seats.
The walk is ok, yes, it is close to 1 mile walk.
Not the prettiest of walks though and most likely you will be the only person walking on the sidewalk.
It is not Champs Elysee.

Walk to In&Out on Sepulveda from google.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I'm a bit confused. In the initial post the OP said "I have an AA Club membership" which I took as an AC membership? If so why can't the OP access the AC between flights?
Well, he certainly can and that was reiterated a few posts up, alongside the In-N-Out suggestion.
But I think the original question was whether he gets any benefit of having (AA) Emerald Status for the purposes of lounge access on this specific trip. Of course the answer depends on his itinerary, which I don't think was shared. If arriving from/departing to an international destination, then his OW status gets him int OW lounges - First or Business class. If entirely domestic, the OW status gets him nothing, and he'll have to fall back on the AC membership for access solely to the AC.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:18 pm

I am just saying, going to In&Out during a long layover is not for everybody, particularly not for your average person that likes fancy lounges and business class seats.
The walk is ok, yes, it is close to 1 mile walk.
Not the prettiest of walks though and most likely you will be the only person walking on the sidewalk.
. . .
I like fancy lounges and business class seats, but I also have enjoyed the walk to In 'N Out on occasion. There are usually a few people walking towards Sepulveda/the Hyatt, and then along Sepulveda I've encountered pilots/crew members/other people walking towards the C parking lot that is a little bit down the road from the Hyatt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.