Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying international business on AA for the first time - what to expect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Lufthansa Miles & More

Salutations all. I am a regular DL/KLM/AF frequent flyer and for work scheduling reasons will be taking my first ever AA business class flight - PHL to DUB at the end of October. It's an Iberia ticket (long story) but obviously AA metal. Airbus 330-200.

Can someone comment on things like lounge access in PHL and the level of service in business class? I fly Delta D1 very regularly and KLM as well, a bit less on AF and very occasionally on Iberia (one of my workplaces is Lima). Haven't been on an AA flight in close to 20 years.

What should I expect? Hard product, food, service? Youtube and reviews seem to suggest a decent hard product, not the same reliability as DL and KLM and a hit or miss service experience...

Thanks all!
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Based on the other threads, you can expect to be abused and abased by flight attendants, although a bit less than you would in F. Lower you expectations and you'll be OK.
mhy and deeruck like this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by powerful pete
Salutations all. I am a regular DL/KLM/AF frequent flyer and for work scheduling reasons will be taking my first ever AA business class flight - PHL to DUB at the end of October. It's an Iberia ticket (long story) but obviously AA metal. Airbus 330-200.

Can someone comment on things like lounge access in PHL and the level of service in business class? I fly Delta D1 very regularly and KLM as well, a bit less on AF and very occasionally on Iberia (one of my workplaces is Lima). Haven't been on an AA flight in close to 20 years.

What should I expect? Hard product, food, service? Youtube and reviews seem to suggest a decent hard product, not the same reliability as DL and KLM and a hit or miss service experience...

Thanks all!
Not 3 posts down on the front page there's a nice review of business on a recent PHL-PRG flight, also a 332, pretty much exactly what to expect. Service can be hit or miss.

AA 52 PHL-PRG / Prague experience

Unfortunately the lounge situation at PHL sucks now, with the A-West Admirals Club closed for renovations. This was one of the largest clubs, closest to where the TATL flights will depart from. You can still use any of the other Admirals Clubs, but obviously reports say they are very busy to mobbed in the afternoons.
powerful pete likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I had a great flight out of PHL to LHR this summer.

I liked the lounge in Philly. Great bartender. We talked about Spain. Nice drinks. I think there was a guac station for the young folks, and the typical olives and hummus and veggies for everyone else.

The flight left on time. My J class seat was very roomy. Not very modern, but it was very very comfortable.

I preordered the veggie dish and I really enjoyed the pasta. The flight attendant serving me was very efficient, attentive, professional. He was very very good.

We took off on time, I was very comfortable, I was fed and watered well, and we landed safely and on time. It was a very good flight.
C17PSGR, 355F1, MarkY123 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Lufthansa Miles & More
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Not 3 posts down on the front page there's a nice review of business on a recent PHL-PRG flight, also a 332, pretty much exactly what to expect. Service can be hit or miss.

Thank you good sir - an informative read and good pictures (don't know how I missed it in my scan of this sub-forum)...
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
... I think there was a guac station for the young folks, and the typical olives and hummus and veggies for everyone else..
To my knowledge the guacamole is not limited to young folks, what an odd statement. If you're trying to imply only young people like guacamole that is even more odd to me as it is one of the most delicious foods on earth regardless of age.

To the OP, agree with most others, keep your expectations low and chances are they'll be exceeded (but probably not by much). There are still plenty of good AA FAs out there who make for a good flight. Also, if you have access the Centurion Lounge in PHL will probably be a better experience than the Admirals Club, although just as crowded.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by powerful pete
What should I expect? Hard product, food, service?
Don't expect anything. You will have a better time.
Expect that service will be from sloppy to rude. Cheap wine and sparkling wine and ok food (for airplane food).

PHL DUB is the older A332s.
They feel quite dated but are comfortable nonetheless.
An older version of the revered 77W business seat.
enviroian, 355F1 and mhy like this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
It's public transport.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IggySD
To my knowledge the guacamole is not limited to young folks, what an odd statement. If you're trying to imply only young people like guacamole that is even more odd to me as it is one of the most delicious foods on earth regardless of age.

To the OP, agree with most others, keep your expectations low and chances are they'll be exceeded (but probably not by much). There are still plenty of good AA FAs out there who make for a good flight. Also, if you have access the Centurion Lounge in PHL will probably be a better experience than the Admirals Club, although just as crowded.
I don't think you got my sense of humor regarding millenials and guacamole. There was a line. I love guac, but there was a long line of young people. Excuse my lame attempt at humor. Didn't think that would be the most controversial part of my praise post.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IggySD
To my knowledge the guacamole is not limited to young folks, what an odd statement.
Well, Avocado Toast is, so close enough.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
The best to handle this is to:
Expect to have a decent seat.. food could be ok or bad
Warm nuts always good
FA's depends on the day..
but suggestion, eat before you board, get some sleep
and look forward to eating good food at your destination.
powerful pete likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I don't think you got my sense of humor regarding millenials and guacamole. There was a line. I love guac, but there was a long line of young people. Excuse my lame attempt at humor. Didn't think that would be the most controversial part of my praise post.
Ahh, sorry, didn't pick up on it Guacamole is serious bizness as far as I'm concerned I didn't find anything else in your post at all controversial, I've had plenty of perfectly fine trips on AA with similar experience as yours.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, Avocado Toast is, so close enough.
This sentiment I will agree with although they are vastly different foodstuffs.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
My review of my flight this week from PHL to FCO. Go to the B/C lounge and get the Guacamole but make sure you ask for salt because the current guacamole maker doesn’t season it. You get two mixed drinks with your boarding pass and I used both of mine. On board, I ordered the Pasta dish (some type of ravioli in a cream sauce) and it was excellent along with the salad dish which had thinly sliced beef, like carpaccio which was as good as you would get in a top notch restaurant. I ordered Brut with the warm nut appetizer and I had the Italian Barbara wine with the entree, both very good. The crew I had was great and my flight arrived 30 minutes early. Not sure what your expectations are on level of service. My FA knew my name, was friendly and the meals were served efficiently and she offered to refill my Champagne glass a few times. After lights off, the FAs let us sleep and it was a quiet cabin. The morning breakfast was served about an hour and a half before landing, and I had the quiche but it wasn’t memorable. I’ve also flown Delta One this past summer from ATL to CDG and I found the D1 J seat to be a bit better than the AA reverse herringbone seat but I preferred the AC club to the Delta Sky Club and found the crews and food about even on both.
powerful pete and iplaybass like this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey

Unfortunately the lounge situation at PHL sucks now, with the A-West Admirals Club closed for renovations. This was one of the largest clubs, closest to where the TATL flights will depart from. You can still use any of the other Admirals Clubs, but obviously reports say they are very busy to mobbed in the afternoons.
I haven't flown the AA 332 so I can't comment on the original question, but I did want to mention to OP if they have an Amex Platinum card there is a Centurion Lounge in PHL A-west, that might be a better option than the other Admirals Clubs. For food, a visit to Chickie and Petes for a cheesesteak and Yuengling!

When does PHL finally get a Flagship Lounge? Is that what the renovations are for? Because FLs top all the SkyClubs I've been to, although SEA comes close.
ChicagoKev likes this.

Last edited by Gig103; Oct 4, 2019 at 1:28 pm Reason: restaurant tip
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gig103

When does PHL finally get a Flagship Lounge? Is that what the renovations are for? Because FLs top all the SkyClubs I've been to, although SEA comes close.
I was at the A15 AC on Tuesday, Oct 1st and they had closed it on Sept 30th. It was being torn up when I was there and the AAngel in the B/C Lounge said the rebuild into a Flagship Lounge will be 9 months, scheduled to open in July 2020.
Gig103 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.