Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying international business on AA for the first time - what to expect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying international business on AA for the first time - what to expect

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
My 80 year old Mother loves the guac in the AC!

That said, the problem with AA right now is consistency. Some crews are VERY good; others not so much. The bad ones really provide poor service (and would probably be fired, except for the unions).
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
The 332 and 333's are nice planes although fairly outdated. No, they aren't their 772 or 77W but just be thankful to all that his holy that you aren't on one of their over the pond 757-200's.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: CK or bust
If needed in IRROPS, the safe word is “Barclays Application”
jcatman and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
As I stated, I flew PHL to LHR and had a really good flight. It was the A330

I flew home from LHR-BNA on BA. I was squeezed against the wall flying backwards on a new dreamliner that BA thought 7 across would be acceptable (vs 4 across on the AA dreamliner I flew LAX to Narita)

So, it could be worse, you could be flying on British Airways.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Won't be anything special. Cabin is nicer than you'd find on domestic, seats are good enough. You'll see FAs 3 or 4 times during the flight, first meal, desert, coffee in the middle, and meal 1.5 hours or so before landing. If you want a drink in the middle, you'll usually have to go track someone down in the galley area, but they'll typically accommodate or you'll find waters and coke products in the bar area. Otherwise, pretty similar to what you'd expect in a domestic business cabin, just bigger.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
I’m based out of DFW, so haven’t flown the 330, but have done enough AA TATL J to agree with comments about crew inconsistency; you just never know. One point I’ll strongly suggest is to preorder your meal selection. If you’re at the wrong end of the order sequence, you may not have more than one option.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:56 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, Avocado Toast is, so close enough.
Damn those Aussies!!!

hah!
Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by IggySD
Ahh, sorry, didn't pick up on it Guacamole is serious bizness as far as I'm concerned I didn't find anything else in your post at all controversial, I've had plenty of perfectly fine trips on AA with similar experience as yours.

This sentiment I will agree with although they are vastly different foodstuffs.
I got your joke, bitterprofit, tho I have to agree about the millenial obsession with avocado. AFAIC, the only use for avocado is to turn it into guacamole. Without pico and lemon juice, it's just a nasty vile gunk!

Back to OP; If you set your expectations fairly low, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised. This isn't CX F, a suite at the Dorchester with a private butler, nor is it dinner at Le Bernardin. What you will get, is a comfortable seat/lay flat bed, probably fairly attentive and maybe even friendly service, a so-so airplane meal, and all the free booze you can guzzle, if that's your scene. I'm pretty pedestrian by FT standards, a couple TATLl J trips a year, four or five domestic F trips, and maybe one or two shorter international like Caribbean or Canada. I've had that routine for over 20 years, and have never encountered some of the nightmare service scenarios that are on FT all the time.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 5:58 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by carlosdca
PHL DUB is the older A332s.
They feel quite dated but are comfortable nonetheless.
An older version of the revered 77W business seat.
The oldest A332 in the fleet is 10 years old. I don't call that "older". The oldest A330-300 in the fleet dates back to 2000, but they've been renovated of course and the 1x2x1 business seating on both variants is perfectly comfy. Especially for a ~6.5 hour ride PHL-DUB.

I think you'll be fine. But as a DL loyalist that I presume you are, please report back and give us your thoughts on comparable A330 intl. DL service in business class. The lack of a Flagship Lounge sucks for the moment, but it's nice to hear that the construction is under way!
C17PSGR and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Like others, I've seen inconsistency on the service ethos of FAs working biz but it has been mostly good. In fact, I'm having a hard time thinking of a bad experience on a LUS A330 with service in biz.

If you were flying through anywhere other than Philadelphia, you'd have a much better Lounge experience with American compared to Delta since the Flagship Lounge is far better than Sky clubs. Unfortunately, you're hitting the time when the Admirals Club is under construction 4 conversion to a flagship Lounge. The AmEx Lounge is the only good option and it is usually packed with the international flights.

On board, you'll have a good business seat that is comprable to what you have on Delta. The inconsistency others complain about is whether the flight attendants disappear after serving a meal or whether they provide appropriate business class service of walking through the cabin refilling drinks and talking to customers. On all four of my transatlantic business cabin trips on AA this year, I've had good service with everything I expected and no complaints. It's not Qatar business class but certainly better than Iberia and probably comparable to where Delta is now.

The inconsistency I see is transpacific business class on AA.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Compared to D1, you're unlikely to be blown away, but it should be a decent experience. The seats on the 332 are among the better seats AA flies. Food can be iffy, but PHL-DUB is a short flight. Even under 6 hours wheels up to wheels down some days. If you want as close to a good night's sleep as you can get, then definitely eat on the ground and tell the cabin crew not to wake you for any meals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.