Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Platinum automatic MCE seat assignment on Basic Economy fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

A bit of a convoluted question. I recently received the upgrade to platinum and I do not anticipate being able to renew it beyond this year.

My my husband recently received a voucher for a voluntary bump and we want to use it to fly next spring (when i won’t have status).

If we book basic economy fares now and do so with my. Husbands voicher will we be able to select main cabin extra seats right away because of my status? Also, will lounge access and other perks not apply?

many thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
You won't have access to lounge or other PLT benefits.
However if you're signed in right now - before hitting 'book' you should be able to select your seats on your reservation before you do. Is it a paper or electronic voucher?
EDIT: Missed the 'basic' part of the question - NO seat selection. Just book regular economy.

Last edited by fotoflyer88; Oct 2, 2019 at 8:47 am
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
The op is talking about booking basic economy....I'm not sure that can be upgraded?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Euph222
A bit of a convoluted question. I recently received the upgrade to platinum and I do not anticipate being able to renew it beyond this year.

My my husband recently received a voucher for a voluntary bump and we want to use it to fly next spring (when i won’t have status).

If we book basic economy fares now and do so with my. Husbands voicher will we be able to select main cabin extra seats right away because of my status? Also, will lounge access and other perks not apply?

many thanks!
You will be able to book seats, UNLESS YOU BOOK BASIC ECONOMY. but flight changes after your status expires could cause you to lose the seats.
You mentioned lounge access. That requires traveling out of North America (Mexico City is an exception)
Are you talking about some huge bump voucher amount or are you using toward part of the cost of a travel to Mexico City or outside of North America (and Caribbean)
fotoflyer88 likes this.

Last edited by mvoight; Oct 1, 2019 at 10:23 am
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

many thanks!
Using the voucher has nothing to do with it, that is just another form of payment.

Basic Economy does not come with any sest selection until check in, even for elites.

Now, if you book a regular economy fare, you can select MCE or preferred seats now based on his status. You will most likely keep these seats, even after he loses his status, as long as there is not a major schedule/equipment change that causes the computer to reshuffle seat assignments.

And as mentioned you will not receive any other status benefits (lounge, luggage, etc.) as his status will have expired.
chitink likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:42 am
Original Poster

It’s a $1000 paper voucher that I need to call AA to ticket. So it sounds like I could buy basic economy and immediately get MCE seats?

Why would a minor schedule change (assuming same aircraft) cause me to lose my seat assignments?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
It’s a $1000 paper voucher that I need to call AA to ticket. So it sounds like I could buy basic economy and immediately get MCE seats?

Why would a minor schedule change (assuming same aircraft) cause me to lose my seat assignments?
No, see above, Basic Economy does not come with any free seat assignments even for elites.

Where is this trip to/from? If it is domestic/Mexico/Caribbean/Central America, then if you book a BE fare, you can pay for seat assignments starting at 7 days out, otherwise you will get whatever is left at check-in. If your trip is to Europe, then you can pay for a MCE/preferred seat at booking (or anytime). But being a PLT, or any AA elite, does not come with any free advance seat assignments at all on basic economy fares.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ic-economy.jsp
Antarius and chitink like this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

By flight changes, I was not referring to minor schedule changes.
I was referring to any change that causes your original plane to be replaced, sometimes even if the seating is the identical.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 10:54 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
voucher, cash, credit card...doesn't matter. That's not relevant to your question.

BE = no advance seat assignment for anyone.

As mentioned, you can pay extra for MCE at T-7 days to trip. Or, you can roll the dice and NOT check in until the seat map shows all the standard coach seats filled. Then when you check in, you'll likely get MCE. That may happen if the flight is full. It also means you could both wind up not sitting together, even if you're on the same reservation.

Alternatively, depending on the fare(s) for the trip you're eyeing, if the 2 tickets are more than $1000 for standard Main Cabin you can decide whether or not that extra $$ is worth paying to get advance MCE assigned. You also have the option to change the trip (minus the change fees) if necessary. With BE, you cannot change or cancel for any credit, so your trip has to be pretty firmly set in stone.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

Nobody in the thread has said anything resembling "sounds like" that. We're all emphatically telling you not to book basic economy if you want to have any advance seating.

Buy a main cabin ticket, it's free money and free MCE for heaven's sake
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt

many thanks!
NO Elite has access to seat selection under a BE fare until seven days prior to scheduled departure. And at seven days, selection is available only for a fee.

Lounge access applies only if you're travelling to certain international destinations and is certainly won't be granted if you don't have status on the date of departure.

End of story.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:31 pm

Flight number can change during schedule change and if will force ticket reissue. That happened to me for ORD LGA flight over Labor Day. I didn’t lose seats or anything but I got an email about schedule change and flight number was changed for whatever reason.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Platinum luggage allowance will apply; as I learned on this site , AA's luggage allowance is the larger of the entitlement either at booking (which will show in the e-Ticket receipt) or at check-in. Other airlines (like DL) only use status at check-in.
enpremiere and fotoflyer88 like this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by euph222
it’s a $1000 paper voucher that i need to call aa to ticket. So it sounds like i could buy basic economy and immediately get mce seats?

don't book basic economy.
Often1 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 9:05 pm
Suspended

When booking BE... do u still check in at the counter or just the kiosk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.