Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Archive Of ORIGINAL AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard

FOR CURRENT THREAD SEE HERE.

NOTE: The BarclayCard US Airways Aviator credit cards were offered to US Airways Dividend Miles members and "grandfathered in" to the AAdvantage program. Now you can sign up for several Aviator cards, though the Silver Card is generally available after one has had another Aviator Card at least three months.

There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. An April 2015 article on The Points Guy details them.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator (Jason Steele, April 13th, 2015).

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Link to American AirlinesŽ AAdvantageŽ Aviator™ Red MasterCardŽ Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to American AirlinesŽ AAdvantageŽ Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCardŽ Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to FT thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Red applications are available at the airport or in flight in 2017, or online at https://home.barclaycardus.com

New Red cardholders may apply to upgrade to Aviator Silver after 90 days. Existing Red cardholders (prior to 2017) may apply to upgrade to Silver at any time.

Aviator Silver offers EQM:

"Additional Benefits of your Account

Elite Qualifying Miles

The primary cardmember may earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles ("EQMs") after spending $20,000 in Net Purchases that post to the AAdvantageŽ Aviator™ Silver account from January 1st through December 31st each calendar year. The primary cardmember may earn an additional 5,000 AAdvantageŽ EQMs each calendar year when the cardmember reaches $40,000 in spending on Net Purchases with the AAdvantage Aviator Silver account during the same period. An AAdvantageŽ Aviator™ Silver primary cardmember may earn the maximum 10,000 EQMs once per calendar year, unless the cardmember has already earned the maximum number of EQMs through another AAdvantageŽ Aviator™ Silver account. EQMs earned are in addition to the AAdvantage miles earned for Net Purchases made on the AAdvantageŽAviator™ Silver account. Net Purchases exclude returned goods and services, cash advances, convenience checks, transferred balances, credits, fees and interest charges. Net Purchases made by authorized users through additional cards on the primary cardmember's AAdvantageŽ Aviator™ Silver account will count toward the primary cardmember's qualifying spend. EQMs earned as a result of this benefit will typically be posted to the primary cardmember's AAdvantageŽ account 6-8 weeks after meeting the spend requirement. EQMs will not count toward Million Miler℠ status. EQMs cannot be redeemed for award travel, AAdvantageŽ miles or any other AAdvantageŽ program awards. EQMs earned with the AAdvantageŽ Aviator™ Silver account qualify toward the primary cardmember's AAdvantageŽ program elite status earning requirements each calendar year, subject to the limits under the Reward Rules and the AAdvantageŽ Program. Full details on elite status and qualifications are available in the AAdvantageŽ section of aa.com."

Both cards will offer spend offsets to the required Elite Qualifying Dollar spend in 2017.[/B]

Spend $25,000 or more on a Barclaycard-issued American AAdvantage Aviator Red credit card and earn 3,000 EQD.

Spend $25,000 on a Barclaycard-issued AAdvantage Aviator Silver credit card and earn an additional 3,000 EQD - a second $25,000 spend will earn another 3,000 EQD.

You can not hold both cards and combine earnings. You can notvearn more than $6,000 EQD spend offset in one year. Qualifying purchases are 1 Jan - 31 Dec of one year.

See EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Card – announcement, details for further information.

and FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and Partner Airlines (2017 on)

Spend $20,000 on your Silver card in one calendar year, earn 5,000 EQM; spend a total of $40,000 or more on your Silver card, earn 5,000 more EQM.

Above updated 16 Feb 2017 - JDiver

What are the benefits of the Aviator Silver card?
  • Earn 3X miles for every dollar spent on eligible US Airways and American Airlines purchases
  • Earn 2X miles for every dollar spent on hotels and car rentals
  • Earn 1X miles for every dollar spent on all other purchases
  • Earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles for each $20,000 in annual purchases (10,000 maximum EQMs per year)
  • First checked bag free for you and up to 8 companions traveling on the same reservation
  • A Companion Certificate good for up to 2 guests at $99 each will be issued each year after your account anniversary when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases (taxes and fees apply)
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Premium Servicing including US-based Customer Service, World Elite Concierge and Luxury Travel Benefits
  • Receive 10% of your redeemed miles back, up to 10,000 miles each calendar year
  • Apply for Global Entry with TSA PreCheck and, upon approval, experience expedited, more efficient security screenings, moving you smoothly through U.S. Customs when returning from traveling abroad. Pay for the $100 Global Entry application fee with your card and you'll automatically receive a $100 statement credit 2-3 weeks after your transaction.
    • With this benefit, the primary cardmember can receive one application fee statement credit every 5 years when the Global Entry membership needs to be renewed.
What are the terms of the 10% rebate benefit?
According to the Aviator card FAQ,
For this benefit to apply, your account must be open and active at the time of redemption.

The American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles you will earn through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage miles you redeem each month during the calendar year. The maximum number of AAdvantageŽ bonus miles that can be earned annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage bonus miles per calendar year and per AAdvantageŽ account, regardless of how many AAdvantage miles you redeem in that calendar year.

This benefit only applies to AAdvantage miles redeemed from the primary Cardmember’s AAdvantageŽ account. Please allow 6-8 weeks after your redemption for American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles to post to the primary Cardmember’s AAdvantage account.
Thus, this benefit
  • applies to all miles redemptions, regardless of the passenger name on the airline ticket or other award.
  • is limited to 10,000 miles in rebates per calendar year, regardless of how many Barclays and/or Citi AA cards you have.

For additional information about the 10% rebate benefit, see FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (consolidated)and the associated wiki.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by pkr529
I am curious if anyone has figured out just when Barclays starts the count towards the spending of $20,000 to earn the 5,000 EQM's (I know it is calculated on an annual basis). ...
It's January 1 for a traveling companion of mine. He switched from Red Aviator to Silver recently, and total annual spending to date was enough to have 10k EQMs converted in his account about a week ago.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by kudzu
It's January 1 for a traveling companion of mine. He switched from Red Aviator to Silver recently, and total annual spending to date was enough to have 10k EQMs converted in his account about a week ago.
Agreed. Many of us had the surprise 10k EQMs post on June 30.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:11 pm

Location: Near PHL, PA and GCM, CI and sometimes PLJ, Placencia. Belize
Programs: AA-EXP, DL-Gold, Bonvoy-Gold
EQM requirement start is definitely Jan 1 2015

Originally Posted by Carl
Agreed. Many of us had the surprise 10k EQMs post on June 30.
Spoke to a 10+ year Barclay's manager today (several step above who you normally get on the CS line - even the supervisors) and finally got confirmation that the US M/C, Red card, and Silver are all cumulative toward the EQM spend. Earlier in this thread, there were postings saying $$ didn't count until you were using the Silver, but I am assured that is not so. He said - "a calendar year is a calendar year - no matter which version of the product you have."

Thus, the EQMs have started to show up. ^
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond
Can Anybody Decipher These Two Entries On My AA Profile?

AVIATOR MC 5000 EQM 6/30/15

Mileage - 0
Bonus - 1
Total - 1

I received my Silver Card about 3 weeks ago and have far exceeded the spend this CY to qualify for the conversion (?)

Thanks for any interpretation.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jaxxon
AVIATOR MC 5000 EQM 6/30/15

Mileage - 0
Bonus - 1
Total - 1

I received my Silver Card about 3 weeks ago and have far exceeded the spend this CY to qualify for the conversion (?)

Thanks for any interpretation.
This is just a line entry to show you received 5,000 elite qualifying miles (EQM) from Barclays, which are only good towards qualifying for the next status level.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by pkr529
I am curious if anyone has figured out just when Barclays starts the count towards the spending of $20,000 to earn the 5,000 EQM's (I know it is calculated on an annual basis).
I don't remember it being there until recently, but I just discovered the tracker on the Barclay's website.

From the main page click on VIEW REWARDS (on the right side, has a picture of a present next to it).

Click on, "View my rewards activity." (toward the right)

Next I'm taken to a, "Benefits Tracker," page. There's a blue/gray horizontal thermometer, with blue (and a $$) indicating how much I've spent (the gray goes to $40k).

Underneath is the spend by month, back to April. But I know that my thermometer includes spend from prior (I've added it up). This is the total miles earned though, which will probably be different than the $$ to reach $20k or $40k, as you get additional miles for spending through AA/US, hotels, car rentals, etc.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EP
New AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard (US targeted)

Great find aztimm! And it has the calendar year as the current period. This is what they used to do with the US cards. So nothing changed from that perspective.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
Thanks aztimm. You have provided great information as usual. I see that I have earned 5,000 EQM's from spending (I assume this will post to my AA account soon) which means the count started January 1.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Activate the red aviator card a second time?

When I got the communication in early April that my Aviator red card would arrive in July, I called to receive it immediately because of some international travel. I activated it immediately and have been using it since.

Two weeks ago, I received an email that my new Aviator card was in the mail, and an activation screen popped up on my account page online. Last week, I received a second email that I need to activate my card.

So, I called about this and the CSR insisted that no card was in the mail and that I needed to activate the card I have been using for months again or risk having the card becoming inactive. This makes no sense to me, but went through with it. Now, the card continues to work, but transactions are not posting, even as pending. Anyone else have anything similar happen?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by Bretmd
So, I called about this and the CSR insisted that no card was in the mail and that I needed to activate the card I have been using for months again or risk having the card becoming inactive. This makes no sense to me, but went through with it. Now, the card continues to work, but transactions are not posting, even as pending. Anyone else have anything similar happen?
I had a similar experience (got a Red card in April and an activation e-mail in early June)... I went ahead and did the online activation because I was worried about the card not working. Although I was told at one point that no card was in the mail I actually received new cards a couple of weeks later same account number but with a 2020 expiration date and different security code. I didn't notice any interruption of transactions posting.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I had an issue where my silver card was sent which caused my red card not to work for a short time. A few transactions where denied while on a vacation. I called and the agent wasn't very helpful and somewhat rude. I said forget it and used another card. When I returned home my card was working. Today I got a letter in the mail saying I was given 5k miles for my trouble. Not bad.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I had an issue where my silver card was sent which caused my red card not to work for a short time. A few transactions where denied while on a vacation. I called and the agent wasn't very helpful and somewhat rude. I said forget it and used another card. When I returned home my card was working. Today I got a letter in the mail saying I was given 5k miles for my trouble. Not bad.
I received the same letter yesterday as well. Now I understand why some of my pending transactions dropped. I'm pleased with their self-generated resolution. ^
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Free Checked Bag

Are there any stipulations on the free checked bag benefit? I just received my converted Aviator Red card, and my wife and I have a previously booked award to Hawaii next month (booked with points ~10 months ago). It'd be great to get our bag fees covered, but we obviously didn't use this card to pay for the flights, and there's nothing linking the card and the itinerary at all. If we are eligible, do we get the fee waived simply by paying for it with this card and it'll be waived/refunded? TIA

Last edited by dajoip; Jul 15, 2015 at 6:58 am
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by dajoip
Are there any stipulations on the free checked bag benefit? I just received my converted Aviator Red card, and my wife and I have a previously booked award to Hawaii next month (booked with points ~10 months ago). It'd be great to get our bag fees covered, but we obviously didn't use this card to pay for the flights, and there's nothing linking the card and the itinerary at all. If we are eligible, do we get the fee waived simply by paying for it with this card and it'll be waived/refunded? TIA
You don't need to pay with the card to receive the checked-bag benefit:
Eligible primary cardmembers may check one bag free of charge when traveling to domestic destinations on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by American Eagle Airlines, Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., ExpressJet Airlines, Inc., or Republic Airline Inc., US Airways or a US Airways Express carrier. These benefits will not be available for travel on codeshare flights booked with an American Airlines flight number but operated by another airline. For the benefits to apply, the Account must be open 7 days prior to air travel and the reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantageŽ number 7 days prior to air travel. Up to four passengers traveling with the eligible primary cardmember may each check one bag free of charge if they are listed in the same reservation. Overweight and oversized bags are not eligible. This benefit cannot be combined with any existing AAdvantageŽ Program benefits, including any waiver of baggage charges. Please see aa.com for baggage weight and size restrictions. If your Account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled. Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply. Terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beltway
You don't need to pay with the card to receive the checked-bag benefit:
That's what I was hoping for, and how I understood it, but I just called CS (# on back of card) to get further benefits info, and was told the free checked bag only applies to itineraries paid for with the card, so any existing flights or award travel aren't eligible. However, I found this on AA's website, and there's absolutely no mention of having to book with the card, just the two requirements which you've mentioned (and both which I satisfy). Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.