Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LATAM to exit oneworld 1 May 2020: AA impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
LATAM has announced it will depart oneworld Alliance on 1 May 2020. From that date onward, AA and LA end reciprocity of any benefits; code sharing ended 1 Feb 2020.

American Airlines April 30, 2020 is the last day to earn and redeem miles on LATAM. All award travel must be booked and ticketed by April 30, 2020. Travel is valid for 1 year after ticketing date and must be flown no later than April 30, 2021. Ticket changes will not be allowed after April 30, 2020.

Special notice: LATAM Airlines will no longer operate using the airline code JJ for flights on or after October 27, 2019.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/partner-airlines/lan-airlines.jsp
LATAM will retain relationships with many of its former Oneworld partners after leaving the alliance. Travelers will still receive reciprocal lounge access, elite loyalty benefits, and be able to earn and redeem frequent-flier points on British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines and SriLankan Airlines for the time being, LATAM said. — The Points Guy https://thepointsguy.com/news/latam-...than-expected/
LATAM will relocate from JFK Terminal 8, shared with American Airlines, to Terminal 4 and used by Delta Airlines.

31 Jan 2020
LATAM to leave oneworld effective 1 May 2020

LATAM Airlines Group will end its membership in the oneworld® alliance effective 1 May 2020, following the group’s decision to leave the alliance.

oneworld benefits for LATAM customers will be offered on oneworld flights up to and including 30 April 2020. LATAM Pass members will not receive oneworld frequent flyer benefits offered by Royal Air Maroc, which joins oneworld effective 1 April. LATAM will not offer oneworld frequent flyer member benefits to Royal Air Maroc Safar Flyer members.

<snip>

All redemption tickets that have been ticketed up to 30 April 2020 remain valid for travel, however, customers will not be eligible for oneworld tier status benefits if travel occurs after 30 April 2020.

A number of oneworld member airlines plan to maintain frequent flyer agreements with LATAM after 30 April. Customers are advised to contact their airlines or visit the airlines’ frequent flyer programme websites for more information.

]https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...ive-1-May-2020
(Delta is investing $1.9 billion for a 20% stake in Latam, and it will invest $350 million to establish the partnership. Delta will fund the investment with a public tender offer of $16 per share. Following the closing of the transaction, Delta will have a seat on Latam’s board of directors. - Frequent Business Traveler: http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2020/01/latam-to-leave-oneworld-alliance-in-may/

Print Wikipost

LATAM to exit oneworld 1 May 2020: AA impact

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uxb
Yet. You know it will happen at some point.
Keep in mind that LATAM competitor Aerolineas Argentinas joined SkyTeam several years ago. Whatever their term of contract, it might have to expire before LATAM would be allowed in SkyTeam (if Aerolineas Argentinas at that point left SkyTeam).
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:53 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,9MM), WN
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Keep in mind that LATAM competitor Aerolineas Argentinas joined SkyTeam several years ago. Whatever their term of contract, it might have to expire before LATAM would be allowed in SkyTeam (if Aerolineas Argentinas at that point left SkyTeam).
True, but does Aerolineas even compete with LATAM? LATAM has a much larger footprint in South America even though they are incompetent af. Delta got the better end of the stick even if Gol and Aerolineas left for OW.
BlatheringPenguin likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by uxb
True, but does Aerolineas even compete with LATAM? LATAM has a much larger footprint in South America even though they are incompetent af. Delta got the better end of the stick even if Gol and Aerolineas left for OW.
How many routes does GOL compete with LATAM on? That’s what’s puzzled me about playing up the new partnership, it’s really not a replacement for LATAM in almost any way as far as I can see
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
How many routes does GOL compete with LATAM on? That’s what’s puzzled me about playing up the new partnership, it’s really not a replacement for LATAM in almost any way as far as I can see
It's not a 1 to 1 replacement, however there are plenty of secondary SA cities that can be reached by either with different connecting points.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
GOL is in no way a replacement. IF we get elite recognition on GOL and can earn EQM eventually even on non-AA code shares, I will take it because we have nothing better but losing LATAM is a huge blow. I don't know why so many want to downplay it here. Sure we have loads of OW options to get TO S.America, but if you want to get around the continent it's now a problem. I just returned from a S.American trip and it was great having so many LATAM flights available to virtually every destination.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
Travelers will still receive reciprocal lounge access, elite loyalty benefits, and be able to earn and redeem frequent-flier points on British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines and SriLankan Airlines for the time being, LATAM said.” Alaska offers the OP retention of MVP 75k. Good option.
So essentially they are allowing elite benefits and earning with every OW airline except AA.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
It's not a 1 to 1 replacement, however there are plenty of secondary SA cities that can be reached by either with different connecting points.
Nothing useful in Chile on GOL. Sigh.
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
Nothing useful in Chile on GOL. Sigh.
Yeah. Chile is a LATAM stronghold, so unfortunately nada there.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
GOL is in no way a replacement. IF we get elite recognition on GOL and can earn EQM eventually even on non-AA code shares, I will take it because we have nothing better but losing LATAM is a huge blow. I don't know why so many want to downplay it here. Sure we have loads of OW options to get TO S.America, but if you want to get around the continent it's now a problem. I just returned from a S.American trip and it was great having so many LATAM flights available to virtually every destination.
This is why. The large cities are already well covered so, while it is a loss, it isn't the end of the world. IMO, it would be like MH leaving OW. Yes, now its more painful to get AROUND SE Asia, but there is abundant access to all the major cities there.

I understand the loss isn't felt equally to everyone, as LA may have fit some of our travel patterns well, however reading this forum and one might think OW just lost BA.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:12 pm
Suspended

This is why. The large cities are already well covered so, while it is a loss, it isn't the end of the world. IMO, it would be like MH leaving OW. Yes, now its more painful to get AROUND SE Asia, but there is abundant access to all the major cities there.

I understand the loss isn't felt equally to everyone, as LA may have fit some of our travel patterns well, however reading this forum and one might think OW just lost BA.
I don't think that's a good analogy because we'd still have CX to get around SE Asia.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think that's a good analogy because we'd still have CX to get around SE Asia.
Not really. No one would fly CGK-HKG-SIN or anything remotely similar.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

I disagree. MH is a relatively small player in Asia while LA covers pretty much everything in S. America. I would say that this would be very similar to OW losing BA in Europe, perhaps even worse because at least in that instance IB would still exist for European connections.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
I disagree. MH is a relatively small player in Asia while LA covers pretty much everything in S. America. I would say that this would be very similar to OW losing BA in Europe, perhaps even worse because at least in that instance IB would still exist for European connections.
I completely disagree. BA has a massive, massive global reach. LA is not even remotely close in terms of premium demand, major markets served or really anything. They're closer to IB than BA, if anything and even that's a stretch.

You also need to look at traffic and where it is concentrated. Most of the business centers of SA are well covered by AA and there is some support from GOL, albeit limited. Yes, LA covers all of the smaller cities in SA in the way that MH flies to Johor Bahru and Kota Kinabalu, while s7 covers tons of Russia; nice routes to have, but the world won't stop turning if s7 bolted much like it didn't when AB went bankrupt.

Simply put, would I like LA to stay? Absolutely. But if we compare AA from 6 months ago with LA to AA now with AS joining OW, the latter wins out by a mile.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:57 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I completely disagree. BA has a massive, massive global reach. LA is not even remotely close in terms of premium demand, major markets served or really anything. They're closer to IB than BA, if anything and even that's a stretch.

You also need to look at traffic and where it is concentrated. Most of the business centers of SA are well covered by AA and there is some support from GOL, albeit limited. Yes, LA covers all of the smaller cities in SA in the way that MH flies to Johor Bahru and Kota Kinabalu, while s7 covers tons of Russia; nice routes to have, but the world won't stop turning if s7 bolted much like it didn't when AB went bankrupt.

Simply put, would I like LA to stay? Absolutely. But if we compare AA from 6 months ago with LA to AA now with AS joining OW, the latter wins out by a mile.
Although I agree that AA has better coverage of the major cities in SA than those in Europe, I disagree that the loss of LA is comparable to losing MH. MH is a minor player in SE Asia, in my view, whereas LA is by far the largest airline in SA. With LA, OW had an undisputedly dominant position in the SA market, which is why I suspect fares to SA were often quite high. Now, I think there is a legitimate competitor in DL/LA. Maybe OW will still work for the business traveler who only needs to go to Sao Paolo or Buenos Aires, but if you need to travel around SA, even between many of the major business centers, OW is no longer really a viable option.

I think DL swooping in to create a partnership with LA as well as AA quickly tying up with GOL are both indications of the significance of LA to OW.

I don’t want to get too off-topic, but I am on the fence regarding AA+AS, particularly since my most frequented routes are ones on which AA and AS (formerly VX) compete.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
So essentially they are allowing elite benefits and earning with every OW airline except AA.
CX already announced that élite benefits will sunset in Oct., leaving mileage accrual and redemption only.
percysmith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.