Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LATAM to exit oneworld 1 May 2020: AA impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
LATAM has announced it will depart oneworld Alliance on 1 May 2020. From that date onward, AA and LA end reciprocity of any benefits; code sharing ended 1 Feb 2020.

American Airlines April 30, 2020 is the last day to earn and redeem miles on LATAM. All award travel must be booked and ticketed by April 30, 2020. Travel is valid for 1 year after ticketing date and must be flown no later than April 30, 2021. Ticket changes will not be allowed after April 30, 2020.

Special notice: LATAM Airlines will no longer operate using the airline code JJ for flights on or after October 27, 2019.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/partner-airlines/lan-airlines.jsp
LATAM will retain relationships with many of its former Oneworld partners after leaving the alliance. Travelers will still receive reciprocal lounge access, elite loyalty benefits, and be able to earn and redeem frequent-flier points on British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines and SriLankan Airlines for the time being, LATAM said. The Points Guy https://thepointsguy.com/news/latam-...than-expected/
LATAM will relocate from JFK Terminal 8, shared with American Airlines, to Terminal 4 and used by Delta Airlines.

31 Jan 2020
LATAM to leave oneworld effective 1 May 2020

LATAM Airlines Group will end its membership in the oneworld alliance effective 1 May 2020, following the groups decision to leave the alliance.

oneworld benefits for LATAM customers will be offered on oneworld flights up to and including 30 April 2020. LATAM Pass members will not receive oneworld frequent flyer benefits offered by Royal Air Maroc, which joins oneworld effective 1 April. LATAM will not offer oneworld frequent flyer member benefits to Royal Air Maroc Safar Flyer members.

<snip>

All redemption tickets that have been ticketed up to 30 April 2020 remain valid for travel, however, customers will not be eligible for oneworld tier status benefits if travel occurs after 30 April 2020.

A number of oneworld member airlines plan to maintain frequent flyer agreements with LATAM after 30 April. Customers are advised to contact their airlines or visit the airlines frequent flyer programme websites for more information.

]https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...ive-1-May-2020
(Delta is investing $1.9 billion for a 20% stake in Latam, and it will invest $350 million to establish the partnership. Delta will fund the investment with a public tender offer of $16 per share. Following the closing of the transaction, Delta will have a seat on Latams board of directors. - Frequent Business Traveler: http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2020/01/latam-to-leave-oneworld-alliance-in-may/

Print Wikipost

LATAM to exit oneworld 1 May 2020: AA impact

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019 | 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
Exclamation LATAM to exit oneworld 1 May 2020: AA impact

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/26/delt...t-airline.html
  • Delta is planning to buy a 20% stake in Latin Americas largest airline, LATAM.
  • Its a twist for American Airlines, which has pursued a joint-venture agreement with its code-share partner LATAM.
  • Delta said it would exit its minority stake in Brazilian carrier GOL, which competes with LATAM in the region.
Old Sep 26, 2019 | 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
And there goes AA's strategic advantage in Latin America.

<redacted by moderator>
Spiff, GUWonder, C17PSGR and 5 others like this.

Last edited by JY1024; Sep 26, 2019 at 8:23 pm Reason: Redaction by moderator
Old Sep 26, 2019 | 3:20 pm
Suspended

Doesn't Qatar Airways hold a stake in LATAM? I think 10%?

Now Dougie needs not only LATAM but also Qatar Airways onboard with him to stop LATAM cut off AA's ties.

It will be interesting to watch.
Old Sep 26, 2019 | 3:38 pm
5 Years on Site

Catastrophe for AA. Absolute catastrophe. With any luck this means the end of Dougie.
BearX220, Spiff, asnovici and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019 | 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I won't miss all the LatAm pax in the JFK Flagship Lounge......how can the DL JFK T4 SkyClub handle these additional passengers? It's already bursting at the seams.
metallo likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019 | 3:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Catastrophe for AA. Absolute catastrophe. With any luck this means the end of Dougie.
Fingers crosses for this outcome. But knowing how AA board room works, this would not happen. Too many mistakes AA had made after the merger yet the incompetent stays.
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019 | 3:59 pm
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
This will not cause his departure. After the ruling LA had little choice but to engage with another US based carrier. Still terrible for AA though.
Old Sep 26, 2019 | 3:59 pm

Programs: QF WP ALL Gold
Interesting, this is stated without any qualifier eg if the deal is approved

LATAM will be leaving the OneWorld alliance, but it was not immediately clear whether it would join SkyTeam, the group that includes Delta and its partners.

i also cant find any further citation, only the CNBC article

of course bad news for OW but I think as a QFF im largely insulated because of the joint venture and codeshares
Old Sep 26, 2019 | 4:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nancypants
AA has acknowledged it formally.
Newsroom - American Airlines on LATAM Partnership - American Airlines Group, Inc.

As has Delta:
https://news.delta.com/delta-and-lat...ghout-americas

Regards
GTITAN and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019 | 4:12 pm
20 Years on Site

Interesting, this is stated without any qualifier eg if the deal is approved

of course bad news for OW but I think as a QFF im largely insulated because of the joint venture and codeshares
I assume but do not know that the departure from AA and OW was a condition of the minority investment and not the approval of the JV. Its highly unlikely that Chile would object to a 20% investment. With LA's political contacts I am certain that they have already given tacit approval to LA prior to this announcement being made public.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019 | 4:16 pm

Programs: QF WP ALL Gold
Well in that case (my Google fu was obviously off!) all I can say is SAD!
Old Sep 26, 2019 | 4:33 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Well in that case (my Google fu was obviously off!) all I can say is SAD!
As far as I can tell, AA and DL has both acknowledged the presence of the deal, but neither makes any comment on LATAM's current/future status in Oneworld or Skyteam.

DL uses language like "alliance with LATAM" and "establish a strategic relationship," while AA has said they'll "work with LATAM to ensure a seamless experience for customers" during the "transition."

Maybe it'll be clearer once LATAM themselves issue some sort of statement. Or it might just be undecided as of yet.
GTITAN and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019 | 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Well there goes another partner that provided relatively easy EQDs and EQMs into South America. AA does not have the assets to redeploy to fill the void this will create. Popcorn Table 1 please.

Safe Travels
Old Sep 26, 2019 | 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
I guess AA can get rid of the language about travel to IPC requiring two awards since there will be no longer be any way to get there on AA partners. Go while you can.
Old Sep 26, 2019 | 5:44 pm

Darn it. Chile and on to IPC was on my list for 2021.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.