Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Travel Alert: SFO (runway closure 7-27 Sep 2019) OVER 21 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Looks like AA finally released a travel waiver for SFO due to the construction.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:51 am

Finally? The travel alert has been available for a few weeks.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
The San Francisco International Airport (SFO) has closed 2 runways for repairs and they will remain closed through September 27

Um, they are only closing one runway, unless they are counting 10R and 28L as two different runways !?
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: CK or bust
It's certainly been a doozy of a runway closure and for some reason schedules aren't being or weren't more proactively updated to reflect the construction traffic restrictions.
mendezka likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer

Um, they are only closing one runway, unless they are counting 10R and 28L as two different runways !?
I believe they are closing 1L for ten days and 1R for ten days as they are redoing the area where the three runways intersect. So at any given time there will be two runways closed.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
NBC 7 report. link

SF Chronicle, quoting SFO spokesperson Doug Yakel: In 2017, airport engineers saw that the 1,900-foot strip on Runway 28L was in bad shape, with pavement deteriorating in the concrete base layer between the runway surface and the soil. Crossed by two other runways, the half-century-old section was built at a time when planes were lighter and flights less frequent.
Occasionally other runways will be affected, as the runway renewal detail shows in the SF Chronicle graphic below. (Red circle added to emphasize runway intersections affected.)
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 15, 2019 at 12:54 pm
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: AA
I was caught up in this last weekend.

Flying home from JFK Sunday night and booked on the 5:45 PM flight (paid a lot as we booked last minute SFO/JFK for Friday-Sunday) I hadn't heard about the closure so when we checked in early Sunday without checking a bag, I asked if we could get on the 4:00 and the agent said there wasn't a 4:00. I had seen it that morning and didn't question her further. Then it got stranger, we went to the Flagship Lounge to buy a day pass and they didn't charge us, we are both platinum but I had never gotten into the lounge free on a coach ticket before. We thought, maybe she thought we were charming .

About an hour in, our flight was moved to leave at 10:45 PM, so I decided to try and change to Monday at 7:00 AM. They rebooked me right away without a charge and still no one mentioned the runway construction. I wasn't given a seat and my SO had a middle seat assigned in row 13. Luckily we were proactive because they cancelled the flight

Monday morning, I checked in at 5:00 and still didn't get a seat. they asked for 3 volunteers for 1K as they were oversold. I ended up with row 22 (last) and middle seat but got back with no further delays.

I am embarrassed that I didn't know about the SFO issues living in SF and having 2 trips scheduled at the end of this month. I am surprised AA never mentioned it when we booked the JFK ticket the day before we traveled.

I have to leave for Dallas on the 23rd and LHR on the 28th with BA. Trying to decide when/if I should make changes.

Side note- the TWA Hotel at JFK is super cool and comfortable at a great price.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by spaige
I was caught up in this last weekend.

Flying home from JFK Sunday night and booked on the 5:45 PM flight (paid a lot as we booked last minute SFO/JFK for Friday-Sunday) I hadn't heard about the closure so when we checked in early Sunday without checking a bag, I asked if we could get on the 4:00 and the agent said there wasn't a 4:00. I had seen it that morning and didn't question her further. Then it got stranger, we went to the Flagship Lounge to buy a day pass and they didn't charge us, we are both platinum but I had never gotten into the lounge free on a coach ticket before. We thought, maybe she thought we were charming .

About an hour in, our flight was moved to leave at 10:45 PM, so I decided to try and change to Monday at 7:00 AM. They rebooked me right away without a charge and still no one mentioned the runway construction. I wasn't given a seat and my SO had a middle seat assigned in row 13. Luckily we were proactive because they cancelled the flight

Monday morning, I checked in at 5:00 and still didn't get a seat. they asked for 3 volunteers for 1K as they were oversold. I ended up with row 22 (last) and middle seat but got back with no further delays.

I am embarrassed that I didn't know about the SFO issues living in SF and having 2 trips scheduled at the end of this month. I am surprised AA never mentioned it when we booked the JFK ticket the day before we traveled.

I have to leave for Dallas on the 23rd and LHR on the 28th with BA. Trying to decide when/if I should make changes.

Side note- the TWA Hotel at JFK is super cool and comfortable at a great price.
I was also flying home from JFK Sunday night on the same 5:45pm, delayed until 10:45pm, then canceled around 9pm. At that point my only option was a 12:30pm flight to LAX then connection to SFO, getting home at 9pm.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by potus18
I was also flying home from JFK Sunday night on the same 5:45pm, delayed until 10:45pm, then canceled around 9pm. At that point my only option was a 12:30pm flight to LAX then connection to SFO, getting home at 9pm.
that's awful. I hope they took care of you
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Booked before all of this mess but I've got a SFO/LAX flight Wednesday morning with a connection in LAX about 3 hours later. The flight to LAX leaves at 7:55AM. I assume I have plenty of time. Initially took the connection to get some nice views of the coast (the East coast is so ugly compared to the west coast) and the 77W out of LAX (which is pretty easy to upgrade on).
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I was flying PEK-LAX-SFO today. The first few days, LAX-SFO was a total disaster, average 4-5 hr delays. Finally lost my nerve and switched to LAX-SJC on Saturday morning...Murphy's law: in LAX now and services are all running smoothly...and of course I can't change back without a change fee!

I haven't changed my return because that's a very early morning SFO-LAX that has been running to time for the most part.

tb
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Anyone heard anything yesterday and today about how flights are going? My parents are flying to SFO-LAX tonight to then get on their flight to Tahiti with only a 2.5 hour connection. Mom said she spoke to the American Rep yesterday worried about delays, but I guess they didn't offer to change flights to an SJC or OAK flight (which surprised me), but I don't know AA well enough.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Bellerina
Anyone heard anything yesterday and today about how flights are going? My parents are flying to SFO-LAX tonight to then get on their flight to Tahiti with only a 2.5 hour connection. Mom said she spoke to the American Rep yesterday worried about delays, but I guess they didn't offer to change flights to an SJC or OAK flight (which surprised me), but I don't know AA well enough.
I had a travel alert on my SFO/LAX flight. I'm not sure if AA will allow a change in airports. Does AA even fly LAX to SJC and OAK?
Bellerina likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by Bellerina
Looking at flightaware, flights seem fairly on-time yesterday?
Bellerina likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Thanks George & Complex!
I didn't know if AA even flew between other bay area airports and LAX, so that very well might have been the case.
Every time I checked Flight Aware or SFO websites, they were saying there were 1+ hour delays, but my parents arrived a few minutes early at their destination. Guess they weren't caught up in long taxiing queues.
And then they made their flight to Tahiti with time to upgrade their seats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.