FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Travel Alert: SFO (runway closure 7-27 Sep 2019) OVER 21 Sep
Old Sep 14, 2019, 2:33 pm
potus18

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by spaige
I was caught up in this last weekend.

Flying home from JFK Sunday night and booked on the 5:45 PM flight (paid a lot as we booked last minute SFO/JFK for Friday-Sunday) I hadn't heard about the closure so when we checked in early Sunday without checking a bag, I asked if we could get on the 4:00 and the agent said there wasn't a 4:00. I had seen it that morning and didn't question her further. Then it got stranger, we went to the Flagship Lounge to buy a day pass and they didn't charge us, we are both platinum but I had never gotten into the lounge free on a coach ticket before. We thought, maybe she thought we were charming .

About an hour in, our flight was moved to leave at 10:45 PM, so I decided to try and change to Monday at 7:00 AM. They rebooked me right away without a charge and still no one mentioned the runway construction. I wasn't given a seat and my SO had a middle seat assigned in row 13. Luckily we were proactive because they cancelled the flight

Monday morning, I checked in at 5:00 and still didn't get a seat. they asked for 3 volunteers for 1K as they were oversold. I ended up with row 22 (last) and middle seat but got back with no further delays.

I am embarrassed that I didn't know about the SFO issues living in SF and having 2 trips scheduled at the end of this month. I am surprised AA never mentioned it when we booked the JFK ticket the day before we traveled.

I have to leave for Dallas on the 23rd and LHR on the 28th with BA. Trying to decide when/if I should make changes.

Side note- the TWA Hotel at JFK is super cool and comfortable at a great price.
I was also flying home from JFK Sunday night on the same 5:45pm, delayed until 10:45pm, then canceled around 9pm. At that point my only option was a 12:30pm flight to LAX then connection to SFO, getting home at 9pm.