Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

potential involuntary downgrade or denied boarding on Award tomorrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

potential involuntary downgrade or denied boarding on Award tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Yes

total journey is 6,317 mi
ORD-MAD is 4,202 mi

Percentage of journey that would be downgraded is 66.5% of journey
mileage cost is 57,500
66.5% of 57,500 is 38,278 miles
reimbursement due would be 75% of this , which would be 28,679

This will mean that you have paid 28,821 miles for what was business class for 977 miles , economy for 4202 miles and economy sold as business for the rest of the journey

given that an economy award is 30,000 miles, the reimbursement due would not, imo, be a great value given its amount vs the cost of economy - would you have redeemed 30,000 miles for an economy ticket?
Well that’s certainly disappointing if that’s the extent of the compensation. Judging by some of the previous posts in this thread, I may have “dun goofed” by not accepting at the downgraded Y flight to PHL and then on the DBV in J.

Also, I’ll keep everyone updated as this situation develops. Hopefully, it will be an uneventful Sunday.
percysmith and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rendezvous
I checked in through the app, but it won’t allow me to secure boarding passes for the IB flights. It says I must secure those boarding passes from the operating carrier, but I will see if the agent in Austin can get them for me.
IB will be doing a document check for passport, visa etc

Well that’s certainly disappointing if that’s the extent of the compensation. Judging by some of the previous posts in this thread, I may have “dun goofed” by not accepting at the downgraded Y flight to PHL and then on the DBV in J.

Also, I’ll keep everyone updated as this situation develops. Hopefully, it will be an uneventful Sunday.
EC261 compensation is well defined. But getting it can be hard

Good luck.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:58 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by percysmith
Could you also post or PM exact flights and one of us can load out exact loading/seat maps?
Sent you the loads

Overwater J cabin map still has 4 empty seats. AA AUS should be able to issue you all BPs, you should have an early start for remaining 4 seats.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You could always call back and indicate that you have considered it and would want to do it
percysmith likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ryan182
That said, re:AA767 v IBA350 - are not the J seats on both pretty much the same? They are both staggered lie flat seats and look pretty similar.
Negative, not even close in my experience and the 767 seat is a lot smaller.
JDiver and aquanine like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Update - I tried to check in through the app, but the app said I would need to see an agent to get my Iberia boarding passes. When I checked in with the AA agent this morning, she stated Iberia was blocking her from checking me in, which she believed was quite bizarre. She said I would need to get my boarding pass from Iberia in Chicago. With that said, they were able to tag my luggage through to Croatia. I also provided the agent with a bit of the back story and she basically said that she believes it will be fine, but couldn’t really do anything about it.

On a separate note, after sitting at the Austin airport for the last 45 min, I can’t say I’ve seen more purple and gold in my life.

Last edited by rendezvous; Sep 8, 2019 at 9:10 am
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
IB was likely simply seeking advance volunteers. Nothing wrong with that. Chances are that if OP did not accept the reroute, someone else did. Bear in mind that not everyone would have a less desireable reroute and some might even prefer the new schedule on offer.

It is perfectly reasonable for IB to reach out to the passenger. As the operating carrier, it is solely responsible for compensation and reimbursement under EC 261/2004. While AA is likely to be more accommodating, it does not suffer any consequences.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Another update - I spoke with the gate agent for my AUS-ORD flight and they were able print my Iberia boarding passes, so I obviously feel much more relieved.
Exec_Plat and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't let the ability to print a BP overly worry or encourage you.

People with BP's are downgraded and people without BP's are issued BP's.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Update - I'm currently on the AUS-ORD leg and scheduled to land in about an hour. The flight attendants (2 attendants working the F cabin) have been very friendly and attentive, so they represent AA very well. My per-ordered charcuterie plate was very tasty, but my only complaint is that they provided Ms. Vickies sea salt chips instead of pita chips, so I had globs of hummus with regular potato chips.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
my only complaint is that they provided Ms. Vickies sea salt chips instead of pita chips, so I had globs of hummus with regular potato chips.
If that's your only complaint, you are winning.
wrp96, Antarius and allleisure like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Update - I’m on the plane, so unless I get the David Dau treatment, I’ll be on my way to Madrid. Thank you for everyone’s help.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Update - I’m on the plane, so unless I get the David Dau treatment, I’ll be on my way to Madrid. Thank you for everyone’s help.
Have a great trip!
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Have fun in Dubrovnik!
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yet another storm in a tea cup...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.