Award Redemption Availability

Old Sep 3, 19, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Award Redemption Availability

Hi, Iím posting this here as couldnít get a forthcoming response to this question on the BA forum so wondering if anyone could help. I believe BA only letís you redeem the Miles Saver option in terms of a redemption so that would be the availability Iím looking at. Thanks.

Hi,

Looking at flights next April 2020 from NYC to Dallas on an American redemption ticket. I can get the outbound to suit my dates fine but there's nothing available (apart from a poorly timed connection flight) on the inbound. Does anyone have any experience whether I should expect American to release seats between now and closer to the date?

In my experience, on busy well served routes, BA will often release seats closer to the time but I have no experience redeeming on AA.

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 3, 19, 8:39 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
AA award availability is dynamic. Not there today, there tomorrow, gone the next day. Also IME not all AA saver space is made available to partners. And in general AA award space is much worse than it used to be, so if you found a connecting itinerary that gets you where you want to go, you should consider booking it and changing it later if something better opens up (depending on BA's policy for award ticket changes).
Old Sep 3, 19, 9:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
Be sure to read HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance. Begin with the Wikipost at the top of the page.
Old Sep 3, 19, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
AA award availability is dynamic. Not there today, there tomorrow, gone the next day. Also IME not all AA saver space is made available to partners. And in general AA award space is much worse than it used to be, so if you found a connecting itinerary that gets you where you want to go, you should consider booking it and changing it later if something better opens up (depending on BA's policy for award ticket changes).
The timings of it just aren't good, considering I'm then connecting onwards as well. It's very early in the morning after a wedding the night before and I'll be getting an evening flight back to London.

Thanks for the info though, guess it's worth to keep checking. Just FYI, it's a £35 change fee everytime.
Old Sep 3, 19, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road View Post
The timings of it just aren't good, considering I'm then connecting onwards as well. It's very early in the morning after a wedding the night before and I'll be getting an evening flight back to London.

Thanks for the info though, guess it's worth to keep checking. Just FYI, it's a £35 change fee everytime.
On an Avios award for domestic travel on AA, it will be cheaper for you to cancel the first award ticket, and book a new one on a better flight, rather than "change" the first award ticket. BA does not make any additional collection on cancellations; you would merely forfeit the fees paid on the first ticket -- typically, $5.60 USD.
Old Sep 3, 19, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road View Post
Looking at flights next April 2020 from NYC to Dallas on an American redemption ticket. I can get the outbound to suit my dates fine but there's nothing available (apart from a poorly timed connection flight) on the inbound. Does anyone have any experience whether I should expect American to release seats between now and closer to the date?
My personal experience (YMMV) is that I look for award seats for a while, then if I can't find what I want, I just give up and buy a seat that best suits my needs.My schedule is rather inflexible these days.

In the past year or so I have not been able to find seats that meet my needs. I'm getting pretty disgusted with it. I have given away miles (give = no quid pro pro) to a friend who has a more flexible schedule than I do.

Search this Thread