Search

Award ticket cancellation period

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdantage EXP
Award ticket cancellation period

Hi All,

My apologies if this has been asked but I couldn’t find anything by searching.

AA EXP wanting to book a potential award flight for a friend tomorrow. Not sure if they are going to fly or drive, might be a day of decision. My question is how soon before the flight can I cancel the award ticket and have my miles reinstated? 24 hours? 4 hours? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:09 pm

Reinstating flight awards

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.
  • You can request to have your AAdvantage® mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage® award ticket and if the ticket has not expired. For tickets booked on or after November 1, 2018, you can request to have your AAdvantage® mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage® award ticket if your reservation is canceled prior to departure and if the ticket has not expired.
  • The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket. Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket.
  • This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum members using miles from their account, including for Economy Web Special awards.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ard-travel.jsp
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdantage EXP
Thank you. I saw that but didn’t know if there was a certain cutoff or truly up to departure. I wouldn’t let it get that close just wanted to be sure if I canceled about an hour before I would be in the clear.

I thought when I flew SW it was 10 mins before or something but I could be wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.