Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crew Shortage Today (31 Aug 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
When does it reach the point that the Board of Directors realizes this airline is completely out of control and takes on the CEO and Chairman of the Board - namely Parker. Why is it allowed for a CEO of any company to also be the Chairman of the Board? Isn't the Board suppose to be the supervisor of the CEO? It's a buddy buddy system and it's outrageous.
Dual hatting CEO and Chairman in a UK listed company is considered poor corporate governance. If AA was on the FTSE I doubt it would have continued for anywhere like as long.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
How does one do that?

36 hours? No other airline? Will they extend the return, or do you lose 2 days?
We went to CS line which was 100 ppl deep. CS announced over PA that the cancellation is due to weather, so no vouchers.

I went online and saw that the plane originated in CMH and was canceled. No bad weather in Columbus.

So I went to the nearby Admirals Club and told them the bogus lies. An AA supervisor got involved and called the tower and verified it was not cancelled due to weather and she instantly set me up with hotel and meals.

She said she was going to get with her team and try and get the CS morons the real answers as there were dozens of people that were upset that their vacations were put on hold due to American and their inability to handle this properly.

I witnessed some very upset people besides myself that had to find their own accommodations for the night as last evenings flight and this mornings flight was oversold.

If you look at Expertflyer, you will notice there are no other options to PVR unless you chose to take your chances on going to LAX and connecting. Thanks but no thanks.

Last edited by chix; Sep 1, 2019 at 3:30 pm
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
The end of the month is riskier to fly because aircrew often run out of available duty time. It has been that way for years.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. Are there similar issues for last days of November and December due to the Holidays and surge travel levels? Or are the crew factors built in better to the scheduling considerations for those months?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by chix
We went to CS line which was 100 ppl deep. CS announced over PA that the cancellation is due to weather, so no vouchers.

I went online and saw that the plane originated in CMH and was canceled. No bad weather in Columbus.

So I went to the nearby Admirals Club and told them the bogus lies. An AA supervisor got involved and called the tower and verified it was not cancelled due to weather and she instantly set me up with hotel and meals.

She said she was going to get with her team and try and get the CS morons the real answers as there were dozens of people that were upset that their vacations were put on hold due to American and their inability to handle this properly.

I witnessed some very upset people besides myself that had to find their own accommodations for the night as last evenings flight and this mornings flight was oversold.

If you look at Expertflyer, you will notice there are no other options to PVR unless you chose to take your chances on going to LAX and connecting. Thanks but no thanks.
There doesn't have to be bad weather in CMH, DFW, or PVR for the delay to be weather related.

Airlines self report delays. I doubt that the tower was who they called. Maybe AA operations. And at the time CS gave out the info, the primary delay may have been weather. Delays often have multiple codes.

I'm not saying it was weather, just that it's not as simple as you make it sound.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
The end of August is always tough for crewing.

Lots of weather this month which cause crews to run up their hours. Plus there are 31 days in August.
If only there was some way AA could determine this ahead of time so that schedules could be adjusted as best as possible. 😉
Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
That certainly was the case for a long time. I thought there was a reasonably recent regulatory change to move from fixed calendar month to rolling 28 (or 30?) day period for monthly max duty time.
Pilot restrictions are no longer based on the calendar month. The F/As rules, as far as I know, are still based on calendar weeks, months, and years.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. Are there similar issues for last days of November and December due to the Holidays and surge travel levels? Or are the crew factors built in better to the scheduling considerations for those months?
December can be a problem. There is a max number of hours pilots can fly per year. I know some pilots who volunteer for a lot of hours earlier in the year so they don't have any time left in December.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Pilot restrictions are no longer based on the calendar month. The F/As rules, as far as I know, are still based on calendar weeks, months, and years.
But ... has the AA contract been amended to go with the FAA changes? I don't think so but could be wrong.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
So fast forward to last nights DFW to PVR, the majority of the passengers were from the flight from 1.5 days prior. Most of them accepted AA’s unwillingness to give them hotels and meals. AA continued to be dishonest about the situation.

The FA’s on our new flight acknowledged the displaced passengers on board after hearing from so many people boarding first hand that had their vacations delayed by 1.5 days. The crew was so kind to us on the new flight. I am going to let AA know about the new crew and how they should be trainers for the CS morons.

I made it clear to the head FA how kind she was and that am going to let her team know that she was the exception for our trip.

Moral of the story is don’t let American take advantage of you and try to blame cancelled flights for bogus reasons.

The savvy travelers can just use their friend “Google” to figure out the correct reason and if necessary, politely demand fair compensation.

After vacation and this Dorian mess, I will contact customer relations and inform them what took place and gauge their response.

They really should give us all the passengers some real and fair compensation for their lost vacation day.

i would not be complaining if we were in the path of a hurricane, but being lied to at a time when airlines are making such big profits is unacceptable.

Last edited by chix; Sep 2, 2019 at 2:33 pm
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
But ... has the AA contract been amended to go with the FAA changes? I don't think so but could be wrong.
It doesn't matter. The regulation (14 CFR 117) overrides any contract provisions.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by JDiver
The end of the month is riskier to fly because aircrew often run out of available duty time. It has been that way for years.
Actually, at least for flight attendants, August 31 is the first day of the September bid month.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: Lifemiles, AAdvantage
December can be a problem. There is a max number of hours pilots can fly per year. I know some pilots who volunteer for a lot of hours earlier in the year so they don't have any time left in December.
Yeah i remember the news about .. last year when AA (or was it BA) was offering pilots a lot of extra pay to fly between 24 and 31 because everyone got pretty much time off for those holidays.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
It doesn't matter. The regulation (14 CFR 117) overrides any contract provisions.
with all due respect, that's not entirely accurate. The contract can't ignore FAA rules but there's no reason the contract can't have maximum pilot hours that are less then what the FAA would allow
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
. When does it reach the point that the Board of Directors realizes this airline is completely out of control and takes on the CEO and Chairman of the Board - namely Parker. Why is it allowed for a CEO of any company to also be the Chairman of the Board? .
Fast foward 3 years & Parker finally gets fired. What’s actually different in 3 years compared to today? What finally happened that the BOD felt compelled to take tangible action?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
with all due respect, that's not entirely accurate. The contract can't ignore FAA rules but there's no reason the contract can't have maximum pilot hours that are less then what the FAA would allow
As well as crew rest provisions more generous than the FAR minima.
C17PSGR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.