Crew Shortage Today (31 Aug 2019)

Old Aug 31, 19, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott
Crew Shortage Today (31 Aug 2019)

Now flights are being cancelled because of crew shortages. AA 435 DFW-SMF-DFW was cancelled today supposedly because of a crew shortage. Probably many more. When does it reach the point that the Board of Directors realizes this airline is completely out of control and takes on the CEO and Chairman of the Board - namely Parker. Why is it allowed for a CEO of any company to also be the Chairman of the Board? Isn't the Board suppose to be the supervisor of the CEO? It's a buddy buddy system and it's outrageous.
boss315 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 19, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JIMCHI View Post
Now flights are being cancelled because of crew shortages. AA 435 DFW-SMF-DFW was cancelled today supposedly because of a crew shortage. Probably many more. When does it reach the point that the Board of Directors realizes this airline is completely out of control and takes on the CEO and Chairman of the Board - namely Parker. Why is it allowed for a CEO of any company to also be the Chairman of the Board? Isn't the Board suppose to be the supervisor of the CEO? It's a buddy buddy system and it's outrageous.
That's a "supposedly" followed by a "probably many" followed by.. hard to tell
Old Aug 31, 19, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by JIMCHI View Post
You're asking subtle and complex questions about corporate governance.

First, the gripings of a limited number of customers - albeit their most frequent ones - are not likely to have enormous effect, especially since (a) few people comment when things go well and (b) there are probably just as many gripes on the UA and DL forums. There is probably some measure of customer satisfaction that they do pay attention to.

Second, I haven't actually researched AA's performance metrics compared to the competition, have you?

More importantly, ultimately corporate governance is substantially influenced by what is ultimately a buddy system. First, Parker is probably regarded ultimately as a genius for turning a mid-size regional carrier (America West) into a global behemoth. Second, remember that the BoD elects the CEO. Firing a CEO requires them to admit they made a mistake. The CSR in the call center who handles 20% fewer calls than the average gets sacked; it AA earns 20% less than its competitors there are lots of reasons, all of which would be worse if not for Dougie The Genius. As an object case, look how long it took GE to fire Jeffrey Imelt, Remember too that many board members are themselves senior executives at other companies, who look at the CEO's trials and travails and say "There but for a shareholder revolt go I."

While compensation is a bit beyond the scope of the original post, there is also a very clubby relationship between the senior executives who hire the compensation consultants who recommend their compensation and - the compensation consultants. Many of the same companies who have a stated policy of paying market rate for all other jobs will say they pay at the 60th percentile for senior executives - in other words, all CEO's are above average, just like in Lake Woebegon.
Gerbs, bscooter26 and platbrownguy like this.
Old Aug 31, 19, 9:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The end of the month is riskier to fly because aircrew often run out of available duty time. It has been that way for years.
Old Aug 31, 19, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
You're asking subtle and complex questions about corporate governance.

I haven't actually researched AA's performance metrics compared to the competition, have you?
May - June 2019
On Time
Delta 83.23%
Southwest 74.45%
United 72.83%
American 68.77%
(from DOT website)

This summer has been really bad.
Old Sep 1, 19, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
The end of the month is riskier to fly because aircrew often run out of available duty time. It has been that way for years.
That certainly was the case for a long time. I thought there was a reasonably recent regulatory change to move from fixed calendar month to rolling 28 (or 30?) day period for monthly max duty time.
Old Sep 1, 19, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by SAN_Finn View Post
May - June 2019
On Time
Delta 83.23%
Southwest 74.45%
United 72.83%
American 68.77%
(from DOT website)

Yikes.
Old Sep 1, 19, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SAN_Finn View Post
May - June 2019
On Time
Delta 83.23%
Southwest 74.45%
United 72.83%
American 68.77%
(from DOT website)

I knew AA's was horrible (experienced it first hand repeatedly), but am surprised UA is so lousy as well.
Old Sep 1, 19, 10:07 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
DFW was chaos on Friday. I had three flights to NYC delayed then cancelled ending up in Boston at 2 am Saturday and renting a car to complete my journey. To avoid the same issues on Wednesday and avoid a flight via Miami have tried to change but can't because that means changing from LGA to JFK. Still waiting for my bag to be delivered!
LAX_BillyJoe and Etheereal like this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 10:47 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
We are traveling IAD-PVR. Yesterday at 7am we boarded on time. Mid flight they cancelled our DFW to PVR leg. They said it was weather. They lied. It was crew and mechanical issues. We called the tower to get the real answer.

The supervisor gave only us meal and hotel vouchers and denied everyone else.

The next flight with availability was 36 hours later tonight.

We made the best of it and went to Grapevine last night and chilling at the airport hotel today.

After our trip, I plan on contacting customer relations about the experience. BS lies and cheapskates when they are making record profits.

Old Sep 1, 19, 11:49 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The end of August is always tough for crewing.

Lots of weather this month which cause crews to run up their hours. Plus there are 31 days in August.

And weather issues aren't always obvious. Weather in DFW and PVR may be fine but the crew is stuck in city X because of weather.

Lucky I didn't do that PVR trip ....
Old Sep 1, 19, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by chix View Post
We called the tower to get the real answer.
How does one do that?

36 hours? No other airline? Will they extend the return, or do you lose 2 days?
Old Sep 1, 19, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
I knew AA's was horrible (experienced it first hand repeatedly), but am surprised UA is so lousy as well.
This summer has indeed been really bad. I was with my coworker flying from a non-hub for either UA or AA back to EWR and LGA, and we frequently met again at hotel lobby late Thursday night...
Old Sep 1, 19, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by chix View Post
We are traveling IAD-PVR. Yesterday at 7am we boarded on time. Mid flight they cancelled our DFW to PVR leg. They said it was weather. They lied. It was crew and mechanical issues. We called the tower to get the real answer.

The supervisor gave only us meal and hotel vouchers and denied everyone else.
Just curious ... how did you call the tower and who exactly did you speak to? And why were you the only passengers to get a hotel voucher - why did the others not get one?
Old Sep 1, 19, 2:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
It is hard to imagine crew time shortages given that the MAX is sidelined? Aren't there additional pilots available?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: