Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why do you pay for an Admirals Club Membership?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do you pay for an Admirals Club Membership?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: CK or bust
The chairs

And IRROPs support

- in that order.
Spanish likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
It is far quieter.

The food isn't really special but it is there without having to think or wait to be seated. Or wait for prep. Which is my same thought about hotel clubs (and why I cried when Hyatt raised the criteria on me, and why I rejoiced when Marriott declared me lifetime good enough--but those are other threads). Maybe AAC menu experimentation will return after November 1.

It is far quieter.

I find it even more helpful arriving home than departing. Get off the plane. The soup is not gourmet but not half bad either. It is there without having to think or wait to be seated. Or wait for prep. Or eat used food out of your refrigerator. Get re-centered. Wait for rush hour to wind down. Go home.

It is far quieter.

But don't wait too long before heading for your gate. That is earlier than you think and has gotten earlier than it used to be. Don't push it. They can and will close the door and push early if the lobby is empty. Avoid the need for a frustrated post on the monthly "By my watch I was on time and this horrible GA gave my seat away and left me standing" threads. Maybe you were, maybe they are, but they can and will close the door and push early if the lobby is empty.
BeanTownBoy likes this.

Last edited by jayer; Aug 31, 2019 at 9:06 pm
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by timmy83
Good evening Flyertalk! I’m asking for help in understanding the value of an Admirals Club membership if one must pay out of pocket (I will fly about 150 segments this year, have a Corp expense account, and am not permitted to put lounge fees on my account).

Here are my thoughts - leisure flyers don’t see value due to infrequency of use and most business flyers have the often better food/drink in the terminals covered. They appear to have a limited footprint, limited food and drink, and are relatively expensive for an annual membership.

Im genuinely interested in people’s thoughhts. For or those in similar situations (or anyone who cares to chime in), why do you choose to buy a membership?
Depending on your redemption needs -- and whether you usually pay to fly in a premium cabin or rely on AAdvantage status to get upgraded from a Coach fare -- you might consider crediting your AA flights to another oneworld carrier's program, maybe BA or IB. Having oneworld Sapphire or Emerald status through any program other than AA's gives you free Admirals Club access -- even on wholly domestic AA itineraries.

Edited to add: Note that to attain status with BA, a minimum of four BA-coded flights is required. There is no similar requirement for attaining status with IB.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Having oneworld Sapphire or Emerald status through any program other than AA's gives you free Admirals Club access -- even on wholly domestic AA itineraries.
But not on arrivals. Detailed comparison here.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
If you're on a fixed per diem for meals, free food is money in your pocket.
it isn't free food if you spend $450+ for a membership to get access to the food
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold
We fly leisure only now (at least 15-20 segments per year) and get our AC membership via AA Citicard.
I am happy to pay for this 'luxury'---it makes our travels much more enjoyable. We more than get our money out of it simply from a food/drink standpoint.
Avocado toast with lox in the AM, Greek yogurt, cocktails and Dasani fizzy water make me happy.
It keeps my anxiety level low and I love having a quiet place to wait pre-flight and during connections. Being in the terminal gate areas stresses me out. Being in AC prior to the start of a trip ensures we leave in a relaxed manner----and that is priceless to me.

While we haven't had instances to utilize the agents in IRROPS situations, it would certainly be better to spend a delay in an AC with agents who can help vs. waiting in the noisy/crowded gate area.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by AA_ORDlady
We fly leisure only now (at least 15-20 segments per year) and get our AC membership via AA Citicard.
I am happy to pay for this 'luxury'---it makes our travels much more enjoyable. We more than get our money out of it simply from a food/drink standpoint.
Avocado toast with lox in the AM, Greek yogurt, cocktails and Dasani fizzy water make me happy.
It keeps my anxiety level low and I love having a quiet place to wait pre-flight and during connections. Being in the terminal gate areas stresses me out. Being in AC prior to the start of a trip ensures we leave in a relaxed manner----and that is priceless to me.

While we haven't had instances to utilize the agents in IRROPS situations, it would certainly be better to spend a delay in an AC with agents who can help vs. waiting in the noisy/crowded gate area.
is the Dasani complimentary or do you have to pay? All I’ve usually gotten for free is the well wine.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold
They have a self-serve soda machine now at most AC's that I visit---you select the zero calorie option, then select plain or lime Dasani.
All the beverages (wine, beer, cocktails, coffee, water, juice) are complimentary. You only pay if you want an upgraded wine/spirit.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I have the Citi Black card. Mrs boerne uses the club occasionally when we are not together. She loves the cleaner toilets, I fly Y for some business deals, so it is nice to be able to access the club. I found it interesting that I may make the EQD for EXP but not make the EQM, as of today, And my EQM includes the 10,000 EQM for credit card spend. Weird.....
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by boerne
I have the Citi Black card. Mrs boerne uses the club occasionally when we are not together. She loves the cleaner toilets, I fly Y for some business deals, so it is nice to be able to access the club. I found it interesting that I may make the EQD for EXP but not make the EQM, as of today, And my EQM includes the 10,000 EQM for credit card spend. Weird.....
EQD are a funny thing to me. I’m currently sitting at $24,000 EQD but only 60k EQM. I fly some very short but expensive routes frequently. My EQS is what is driving my qualification. I’m bummed that there is no real incentive to hit higher EQS thresholds (like there is for higher EQM) in the EXP program.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by ryan182
The lounge staff can be super helpful when there's IRROPS and have much shorter lines to help than the Customer Service desks typically. I also like to have a somewhat quite spot to get some work done with power outlets, seating that is more comfortable than the terminal, snacks (such as they are) and to grab a drink.

That said no one should pay for a membership, if you find that having access to the lounge is worth it you should get the AA Citi card which includes AC membership and has an annual fee that is cheaper than what AA charges to buy a membership by itself and has no initiation fee for new members as the AC does. Even the "discounted" fee for EXPs is $100/year more than what you pay Citi for the card.
I know that the airlines are different from other industries but it seems a sad state of affairs that getting help when things go awry is something we feel the need to pay for? This may be helpful though I often use the corporate agents to rebook.

It it sounds like compared to DLs clubs, the agents in the AA clubs are overall more willing to help and more proactive in IROPS situations which may be a nice incentive to join.

I may give membership a trial run for the year and see how I feel about the perks. Thanks to everyone who responded to date.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
I don't like any of the US domestic terminals enough to want to spend any more time in them than I have to. I only in the AC during breakfast hours (fruit, yogurt, hard boiled eggs) and I don't drink so others get way more out of it than I do. I just want the (mostly) quiet, the comfortable chairs with power, and the internet.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by boerne
I fly Y for some business deals, so it is nice to be able to access the club.
I don't follow -- even if you were in domestic F you would need a membership to access the club.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
I pay for the AC membership because work allows me to expense it when flights are delayed over two hours. Flying with AA on the DFW to LGA route that means it happens more than 60% of the time. I just pay the yearly membership as it is cheaper in the long run. I don't need any water or food as I can expense it anyway. The snacks and food usually sucks and I don't drink alcohol so no value there. The lounge is usually over crowded but still better than sitting on the Gate chairs. I don't have to walk 10 minutes to the nearest bathroom is a plus. It is definitely nicer when I need to take a dump but if I'm just using the urinals it doesn't make a difference. I fly every week so I want to get to the airport as close to boarding time as possible. It's safe to say the $60 fee is ridiculously overpriced and not worth it at all. Honestly, I pay for it because I can expense it but I really have no use for it except for a little bit comfort. I wouldn't get the crappy AA CC with a $450 fee because of the lounge access. The Reserve card nets me 3x points and 1.5x redemption rate for flights/travel which is far superior to anything the AA CC offers.

only way i see that it's worth it is if I liked to get hammered before boarding a plane. I'd down $30-$40 worth of drinks at the lounge and GTFO.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Is it still the case that the Aamirals club card give more access around the world than the Citi card? If you are only flying domestic it probably makes sense for the Citi card, but if you want to access another lounge internationally I thought the AA club card actually opens more doors

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.