Search

Connecting in Europe - luggage query

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Connecting in Europe - luggage query

Two easy questions for the experts.

ONE - Booking on AA and flying PHL-LHR-MUC with a 6-hour connection in LHR (time for a shower, etc.). Must I collect luggage in LHR and recheck - similar to what people must do when returning to the USA? I think not but I am unsure.

TWO - Return flight is BUD-LHR-PHL with a 21-hour connection in LHR overnight. I will plan to stay at the Hilton T4. Will my luggage be checked through to PHL or can I retrieve given the long layover and hotel stay?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by apeortdz

ONE - Booking on AA and flying PHL-LHR-MUC with a 6-hour connection in LHR (time for a shower, etc.). Must I collect luggage in LHR and recheck - similar to what people must do when returning to the USA? I think not but I am unsure.

TWO - Return flight is BUD-LHR-PHL with a 21-hour connection in LHR overnight. I will plan to stay at the Hilton T4. Will my luggage be checked through to PHL or can I retrieve given the long layover and hotel stay?

Thanks in advance.
1) Assuming it's one ticket, then your bags will be checked through to MUC. You don't have to claim/recheck in LHR.

2) With a 21 hr overnight connection your bags can be checked just to LHR.
jridge, apeortdz, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA

Thanks in advance.
1. Your bags will be checked through. You don't have to claim them.

2. Your bags can be checked through for the overnight or you can opt to retrieve them at LHR. When I did the same trip, I opted to check through and had a carry on with essentials for the night. The walk to the Hilton T4 is longer than you think with bags.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by wrp96
...snip... 2. Your bags can be checked through for the overnight or you can opt to retrieve them at LHR. When I did the same trip, I opted to check through and had a carry on with essentials for the night. The walk to the Hilton T4 is longer than you think with bags.
plus, if you check them through and just have a carry-on, then you don't have to wait in line to re-check them in the morning. you can just go straight to security.

i often overnight at LHR on trips to the US and always check my bags through.

to get to the T4 Hilton from T3 you have to walk to the transit hub (10-15 minutes if you don't have to wait for your bags because you've checked them through--add 10-30 minutes if you choose pick them up) and then take the train to T4 (it runs every half and hour and takes seven minutes, I think). then walk from T4 to the Hilton (ten minutes). Figure an hour all told or 90 minutes if you wait for your bags). rinse and repeat the next morning.

if you're set on Hilton, try the new HGI at T2/T3 which will save you time even if it's not as nice.
bitterproffit, wrp96 and JDiver like this.

Last edited by eefor jfp; Aug 29, 2019 at 8:02 am Reason: add last two paragraphs
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the three replies. Very helpful.

As for the Hilton T4, I have stayed there 13 times so very comfortable with the location (and I like the Executive Lounge). But I might give the HGI a shot either this time or the next. Cheers!
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Rando question

Thank you for the three replies. Very helpful.

As for the Hilton T4, I have stayed there 13 times so very comfortable with the location (and I like the Executive Lounge). But I might give the HGI a shot either this time or the next. Cheers!
Why so many LHR overnights? Just works better for you? I get a lot of quotes for trips with returns overnighting in LHR, often several hundred bucks per ticket, but generally opt for same-day connections. Is the pricing good usually?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fanger
Why so many LHR overnights? Just works better for you? I get a lot of quotes for trips with returns overnighting in LHR, often several hundred bucks per ticket, but generally opt for same-day connections. Is the pricing good usually?
My wife and I love to go to London...typically 2-3 times per year. We stay in the city (Kensington area) but always stay at the Hilton T4 on the final night because we like to be there for the returning flight the next day. Works well for us. Cheers!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:22 am

My wife and I love to go to London...typically 2-3 times per year. We stay in the city (Kensington area) but always stay at the Hilton T4 on the final night because we like to be there for the returning flight the next day. Works well for us. Cheers!
Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2019, 4:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by fanger
Many reasons from some time in the City to separate ticketing. Iirc AA generally allows

Up to 4 hours or LIFO (Last In, First Out) connections for US domestic flights

Up to 18 hours or LIFO (Last In, First Out) connections for US domestic flights including Hawai’i

Up to 24 hours or LIFO (Last In, First Out) connections for international connections

My sister just flew KOA-LAX <RON> LAX-SAT at no extra cost (other than lodging, etc.) as it fit within the 18 hour Hawai’i allowed connection. (She hates west to east narrow body coach redeyes, and I assure you it runs in the family.)
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Many reasons from some time in the City to separate ticketing. Iirc AA generally allows

Up to 4 hours or LIFO (Last In, First Out) connections for US domestic flights

Up to 18 hours or LIFO (Last In, First Out) connections for US domestic flights including Hawai’i

Up to 24 hours or LIFO (Last In, First Out) connections for international connections

My sister just flew KOA-LAX <RON> LAX-SAT at no extra cost (other than lodging, etc.) as it fit within the 18 hour Hawai’i allowed connection. (She hates west to east narrow body coach redeyes, and I assure you it runs in the family.)
Thanks. I may consider this more frequently if I can get a late departure from my continental destination; I hate getting to the airport before 7 on the return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.