Connecting in Europe - luggage query

Old Aug 29, 19, 5:32 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PHL
Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,179
Connecting in Europe - luggage query

Two easy questions for the experts.

ONE - Booking on AA and flying PHL-LHR-MUC with a 6-hour connection in LHR (time for a shower, etc.). Must I collect luggage in LHR and recheck - similar to what people must do when returning to the USA? I think not but I am unsure.

TWO - Return flight is BUD-LHR-PHL with a 21-hour connection in LHR overnight. I will plan to stay at the Hilton T4. Will my luggage be checked through to PHL or can I retrieve given the long layover and hotel stay?

Thanks in advance.
apeortdz is offline  
Old Aug 29, 19, 5:36 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,063
Originally Posted by apeortdz View Post
Two easy questions for the experts.

ONE - Booking on AA and flying PHL-LHR-MUC with a 6-hour connection in LHR (time for a shower, etc.). Must I collect luggage in LHR and recheck - similar to what people must do when returning to the USA? I think not but I am unsure.

TWO - Return flight is BUD-LHR-PHL with a 21-hour connection in LHR overnight. I will plan to stay at the Hilton T4. Will my luggage be checked through to PHL or can I retrieve given the long layover and hotel stay?

Thanks in advance.
1) Assuming it's one ticket, then your bags will be checked through to MUC. You don't have to claim/recheck in LHR.

2) With a 21 hr overnight connection your bags can be checked just to LHR.
jridge, apeortdz, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Aug 29, 19, 6:46 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 9,909
Originally Posted by apeortdz View Post
Two easy questions for the experts.

ONE - Booking on AA and flying PHL-LHR-MUC with a 6-hour connection in LHR (time for a shower, etc.). Must I collect luggage in LHR and recheck - similar to what people must do when returning to the USA? I think not but I am unsure.

TWO - Return flight is BUD-LHR-PHL with a 21-hour connection in LHR overnight. I will plan to stay at the Hilton T4. Will my luggage be checked through to PHL or can I retrieve given the long layover and hotel stay?

Thanks in advance.
1. Your bags will be checked through. You don't have to claim them.

2. Your bags can be checked through for the overnight or you can opt to retrieve them at LHR. When I did the same trip, I opted to check through and had a carry on with essentials for the night. The walk to the Hilton T4 is longer than you think with bags.
wrp96 is offline  
Old Aug 29, 19, 7:49 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: coastal Croatia
Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Posts: 1,902
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
...snip... 2. Your bags can be checked through for the overnight or you can opt to retrieve them at LHR. When I did the same trip, I opted to check through and had a carry on with essentials for the night. The walk to the Hilton T4 is longer than you think with bags.
plus, if you check them through and just have a carry-on, then you don't have to wait in line to re-check them in the morning. you can just go straight to security.

i often overnight at LHR on trips to the US and always check my bags through.

to get to the T4 Hilton from T3 you have to walk to the transit hub (10-15 minutes if you don't have to wait for your bags because you've checked them through--add 10-30 minutes if you choose pick them up) and then take the train to T4 (it runs every half and hour and takes seven minutes, I think). then walk from T4 to the Hilton (ten minutes). Figure an hour all told or 90 minutes if you wait for your bags). rinse and repeat the next morning.

if you're set on Hilton, try the new HGI at T2/T3 which will save you time even if it's not as nice.
bitterproffit, wrp96 and JDiver like this.

Last edited by eefor jfp; Aug 29, 19 at 8:02 am Reason: add last two paragraphs
eefor jfp is offline  
Old Aug 29, 19, 2:21 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PHL
Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,179
Thank you for the three replies. Very helpful.

As for the Hilton T4, I have stayed there 13 times so very comfortable with the location (and I like the Executive Lounge). But I might give the HGI a shot either this time or the next. Cheers!
JDiver likes this.
apeortdz is offline  
Old Aug 29, 19, 7:11 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oakland
Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Posts: 1,128
Rando question

Originally Posted by apeortdz View Post
Thank you for the three replies. Very helpful.

As for the Hilton T4, I have stayed there 13 times so very comfortable with the location (and I like the Executive Lounge). But I might give the HGI a shot either this time or the next. Cheers!
Why so many LHR overnights? Just works better for you? I get a lot of quotes for trips with returns overnighting in LHR, often several hundred bucks per ticket, but generally opt for same-day connections. Is the pricing good usually?
fanger is offline  
Old Aug 30, 19, 5:55 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PHL
Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,179
Originally Posted by fanger View Post
Why so many LHR overnights? Just works better for you? I get a lot of quotes for trips with returns overnighting in LHR, often several hundred bucks per ticket, but generally opt for same-day connections. Is the pricing good usually?
My wife and I love to go to London...typically 2-3 times per year. We stay in the city (Kensington area) but always stay at the Hilton T4 on the final night because we like to be there for the returning flight the next day. Works well for us. Cheers!
wrp96 likes this.
apeortdz is offline  
Old Aug 30, 19, 11:22 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oakland
Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Posts: 1,128
Originally Posted by apeortdz View Post
My wife and I love to go to London...typically 2-3 times per year. We stay in the city (Kensington area) but always stay at the Hilton T4 on the final night because we like to be there for the returning flight the next day. Works well for us. Cheers!
Thanks!
fanger is offline  
Old Aug 30, 19, 4:56 pm
  #9  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,513
Originally Posted by fanger View Post
Why so many LHR overnights? Just works better for you? I get a lot of quotes for trips with returns overnighting in LHR, often several hundred bucks per ticket, but generally opt for same-day connections. Is the pricing good usually?
Many reasons from some time in the City to separate ticketing. Iirc AA generally allows

Up to 4 hours or LIFO (Last In, First Out) connections for US domestic flights

Up to 18 hours or LIFO (Last In, First Out) connections for US domestic flights including Hawai’i

Up to 24 hours or LIFO (Last In, First Out) connections for international connections

My sister just flew KOA-LAX <RON> LAX-SAT at no extra cost (other than lodging, etc.) as it fit within the 18 hour Hawai’i allowed connection. (She hates west to east narrow body coach redeyes, and I assure you it runs in the family.)
wrp96 likes this.
JDiver is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 12:40 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oakland
Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Posts: 1,128
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Many reasons from some time in the City to separate ticketing. Iirc AA generally allows

Up to 4 hours or LIFO (Last In, First Out) connections for US domestic flights

Up to 18 hours or LIFO (Last In, First Out) connections for US domestic flights including Hawai’i

Up to 24 hours or LIFO (Last In, First Out) connections for international connections

My sister just flew KOA-LAX <RON> LAX-SAT at no extra cost (other than lodging, etc.) as it fit within the 18 hour Hawai’i allowed connection. (She hates west to east narrow body coach redeyes, and I assure you it runs in the family.)
Thanks. I may consider this more frequently if I can get a late departure from my continental destination; I hate getting to the airport before 7 on the return.
fanger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread