Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Dorian- Labor Day 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:32 am

Now that this thing isn’t making landfall until Tuesday what are the chances that MCO stays open on Monday, reversing their previous statement?

With hurricanes you never really know where it’s going until you’re 12 hours out. It would have made a lot more sense to say “if the current path holds we plan to close at 2am Sunday” instead of “we will definitely close no matter where this thing goes.”

This reminds me back to Fox News “if you don’t evacuate you will die” commentary during Matthew before the storm turned and everything was fine. It’s one thing to say “the current forecast is bad” but saying you definitely know what will happen, especially this far out, is silly.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 5:57 am
Suspended

My folks were flying in from FCO on Monday and were able to change to Sunday without any trouble.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
With the track turning for now, I wonder if many of these changes become moot (and AA has a lot of empty planes flying to/from FL). It's early of course, but the trend line is getting better.

Also, for those of you that look at the models, it's funny that the TABS model which showed this kind of thing happening for the last few days is looking like it was predicting correctly all along. 🤣
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Also, for those of you that look at the models, it's funny that the TABS model which showed this kind of thing happening for the last few days is looking like it was predicting correctly all along. 🤣
I don't usually check the TAB* models, but if the TABS model was predicting this, it is really funny because it is supposed to be a relatively simple trajectory model for shallow storms, which this is not... Oh the joys of hurricane forecasting
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Hurricanes are really big. Even if the eye does not hit MCO (MIA, etc) there will be a large radius of strong winds that will make airport ops really difficult. So it may make sense to close
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I don't usually check the TAB* models, but if the TABS model was predicting this, it is really funny because it is supposed to be a relatively simple trajectory model for shallow storms, which this is not... Oh the joys of hurricane forecasting
Oh I think it was TABD actually (TABS shows it doing a loop over FL into the gulf then back to the Atlantic hahaha) - either way the whole field is amazing no matter how you slice it.

Originally Posted by wetrat0
Hurricanes are really big. Even if the eye does not hit MCO (MIA, etc) there will be a large radius of strong winds that will make airport ops really difficult. So it may make sense to close
Definitely agree, I'm mostly happy that it seems South Florida lives another day.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'm thankful as the thought of no power in the sweltering South Florida heat is not a good one. However, with this storm that doesn't appear to now be a storm I'll have 3 trips in under one week. MIA,, FLL, PBI and MCO will probably be ghost towns on Sunday and Monday.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:40 am

Just landed MIA. The flight was less than 1/2 full.

The airport seemed normal busy... busy, but not crazy. Looked at lines on the way out... precheck was 5 people deep, priority 10-15. Not bad at all.

Beautiful sunny south Florida day.

Latest projections are a turn north 70 miles east of WPB. Given we landed to the west at MIA, this seems logical.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
For South Floridians, the imminent threat of a disastrous hurricane is over so no need to leave anymore. It will be a bad storm, but nothing of what was originally planned when it was looking like it might make a direct hit on South Florida.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: Global Entry
Does anyone know the likelihood of flight delays for departing flights northbound from Charleston for tomorrow? Just got the travel alert. Flying out before noon but wasn't sure if I should get myself on standby for the first flight in the morning. Current weather forecast predicts scattered thunderstorms around the area.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by flyinggum
Does anyone know the likelihood of flight delays for departing flights northbound from Charleston for tomorrow? Just got the travel alert. Flying out before noon but wasn't sure if I should get myself on standby for the first flight in the morning. Current weather forecast predicts scattered thunderstorms around the area.
I can only foresee delays if there is lightning at the airport, as the overall conditions heading north from CHS look fine tomorrow. The scattered thunderstorms should peak during the afternoon, but there is a small chance you get a thunderstorm over/near the airport in the morning. There is an even lower chance of thunderstorms earlier in the day though. It's impossible to predict random thunderstorms (they aren't directly associated with Dorian) this far out.

But I think you should be fine to stay on your current flight unless you have to be at your destination on time.
flyinggum likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question

Theoretical questions with practical implications:
Suppose AA announced that due to weather conditions people flying to city X can change their flight without a change fee, for flights from date Y thru date Z.
Suppose I have a round-trip ticket to city X where the outbound is between dates Y and Z, but the return is 10 days after Z.
Question 1: Can I change Both outbound and return flights at no change fee?
Question 2: What if I am talking about an International ticket purchased on AA that includes a BA segment (in both directions)?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:43 pm

PBI closing tomorrow (Monday) at noon.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by IntFF
Theoretical questions with practical implications:
Suppose AA announced that due to weather conditions people flying to city X can change their flight without a change fee, for flights from date Y thru date Z.
Suppose I have a round-trip ticket to city X where the outbound is between dates Y and Z, but the return is 10 days after Z.
Question 1: Can I change Both outbound and return flights at no change fee?
Question 2: What if I am talking about an International ticket purchased on AA that includes a BA segment (in both directions)?
For your girst question - if same ticket, for sure. If not, you may have to HUCA (I was told no on separate tickets the first time, yes the second).

Don’t know the BA aspect.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:22 am

MIA - remains open.
FLL - closing at noon today (Monday) until further notice.
PBI - closing at noon today (Monday) until further notice. All flights canceled for today.
MCO - OPEN - this is a change from before.
DAB - OPEN - this is a change from before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.