Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NonStop One Way Business Class Flight US NE to Rome FCO all $8K?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking at a late September trip to Siena, Italy and flying into Rome from the US Northeast. Would prefer a one-way non-stop flight.
All of the One-way Business Class flights that I see from JFK, EWR, Washington DC airports, PHI.....are about $8,000.... all airlines... American Airlines, United, etc...

I do see more realistic prices for the same type of flight into Milan, but Milan isn't really my preferred destination (although I could just take the train down from Milan to Siena).

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Book a roundtrip... my brief search revealed that was best.
chitink likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For transatlantic one ways they know they have you over the barrel. Look for a round trip if you want any discounts.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
For transatlantic one ways they know they have you over the barrel. Look for a round trip if you want any discounts.
Thanks for the replies from each of you about buying a round-trip. I noticed that too. I was under the impression that if I was a no-show for the return leg I would be facing steep fees...?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SmokeDaMeat
I was under the impression that if I was a no-show for the return leg I would be facing steep fees...?
If you do it once or twice, for all intents and purposes you will be fine and not subject to any action by the airline(s) in question. Just don't make a regular habit out of it.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:57 pm

Im fact, you would want to keep an eye on that return leg you arent planning on using. Any significant delays, schedule changes, or cancellations and AA might end up owing you money.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyAA
Im fact, you would want to keep an eye on that return leg you arent planning on using. Any significant delays, schedule changes, or cancellations and AA might end up owing you money.
That is a good point.
I did look at the round-trip fares and although less, they are still too high for me to consider (as opposed to flying directly into Milan).
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Have you considered AA 130 PHL-BLQ? Bologna isn’t far from Siena and this flight goes three or four times a week and is a relative bargain compared to FCO.
linglingfool likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
The train ride from Milan to Siena is not much longer than from Rome to Siena. Might as well fly into Milan if the fare difference is significant.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA100k
Have you considered AA 130 PHL-BLQ? Bologna isnt far from Siena and this flight goes three or four times a week and is a relative bargain compared to FCO.
I have looked at that route, but I'm seeing R/T AA130 is about $5,550 (one way $7,600), and I have seen Emirates nonstop JFK to Milan for about $2,650.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pedro M
The train ride from Milan to Siena is not much longer than from Rome to Siena. Might as well fly into Milan if the fare difference is significant.
That's what we were thinking.
I've seen a one-way Emirates fare for about $2,650, even less expensive on Air Italia
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is a good point.
I did look at the round-trip fares and although less, they are still too high for me to consider (as opposed to flying directly into Milan).
In addition to roundtrip booking requirement, the cheapest business class fares also typically have a 60-day advance purchase requirement and day of travel restrictions (Mon - Wed outbound and Tue - Thu return with a Saturday night stay). You can find roundtrip fares from NYC from about $2900 in late October (which meets the 60-day advance purchase requirement). Late September is simply too close-in from now to meet the 60-day advance purchase requirement.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite
I've seen a one-way Emirates fare for about $2,650, even less expensive on Air Italia
It's my understanding that Emirates business and first are heads and tails above all others, so why not just do it?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you can get Emirates at that price, just go for it and ignore any of the US carroers - not only really nice seating on an A380 and far better service imo, but you will likely be eligible for chauffeur drive at each end too
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Cheapest fare is likely to be TAP, they have one way J fares to EU for roughly $1300. Jfk, Ewr and WAS all have lie flats on new A330-900 neos or 321neos. No advanced purchase requirement but they sometimes zero out J bucket in the weeks leading up to flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.