Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Corporate "Miles" to Upgrade Employee Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

I am within 2,000 EQMs and way over EQDs for AA Gold status (thanks to a London trip for work). Unfortunately, it does not seem I am needed for any more trips the rest of the year at the office, and mileage runs out of PHL appear costly or inconvenient (i.e. 6 AM flights the day after arriving if I do an overnight). I already booked Thanksgiving travel on WN, and all I have left for flying otherwise is a one way to BUF.

Our corporate travel agent mentions the company accrues "miles" for booking our flights that they can use to put an employee over the qualifier. She also mentioned she does that after the year ends (I thought all qualifying activity had to be done by 12/31). Is this such a thing? I want to know if I really need to string together a mileage run.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I'd ask the travel planner. They would know what deal they have with AA.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can easily do 2000 EQM in day without having to overnight and if you wait until the slow season in the fall there are many reasonably priced options on AA. PHL-MIA is available from $162 roundtrip ($70 more for main cabin) on many Tue/Wed/Sat in September.

Last edited by xliioper; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:38 pm

Also look into whether AA Gold is worth the mileage run
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Don't forget that for EQM purposes you get 500 per segment, so you really just need a round trip with 4 short segments if you need exactly 2000 EQMs.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Uzzar
Don't forget that for EQM purposes you get 500 per segment, so you really just need a round trip with 4 short segments if you need exactly 2000 EQMs.
I'm pretty sure that is not true if you don't have status.

Last edited by ashill; Aug 6, 2019 at 4:40 pm Reason: Incorrect per Dave Noble
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
If your company participates in AA's BusinessExtra program, then, yes, they can upgrade you to Gold using the points that have been earned by the travelers. These points are in addition to the frequent flyer miles that the travelers earn. The upgrade can occur at any time during the year. I use our corporate points to upgrade individuals to Gold if they lost their status the prior year but will be traveling more frequently in the next year. I usually do it in early January and it takes a week or two for American to process the request.
MASTERNC and LovePrunes like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ashill
I'm pretty sure that is not true if you don't have status.
According to https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...false&from=Nav

Originally Posted by aa.com
EQMs

EQMs represent a percentage of the actual miles flown (including applicable minimum mileage guarantees) based on the airline and the booking code purchased.

AAdvantage® members have a base of 500 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on American and oneworld® airlines (250 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on Basic Economy fares). To calculate final EQMs earned, the multiplier for airline and booking code flown is applied to this base.

EQMs do not include class-of-service bonus miles, elite bonuses, other participant miles, any other AAdvantage® bonus mileage, or miles obtained from BuyMiles or GiftMiles.
ashill likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Either get a commitment from your corporate TA / travel desk that they will do this for you, cancel your WN tickets and rebook on AA, or find a dirt cheap 4-segment run which can be done in a day xPHL. Remember that with WN, even if the tickets are non-refundable, you can use the value of the tickets for a year.
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Often1
Either get a commitment from your corporate TA / travel desk that they will do this for you, cancel your WN tickets and rebook on AA, or find a dirt cheap 4-segment run which can be done in a day xPHL. Remember that with WN, even if the tickets are non-refundable, you can use the value of the tickets for a year.
Exactly.
It doesn't have to be from PHL either. Depending on where you live, ABE might be a short drive, and it is possible you can find some better deals from there. I regularly travel to AVP to visit family and the fares are often less to ABE/AVP than to PHL.

OP might want to also check out the mileage run deals forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/

Or possibly this thread in the discussion forum (there's a template which makes it much easier for folks to help):
AA/One World: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by xliioper
You can easily do 2000 EQM in day without having to overnight and if you wait until the slow season in the fall there are many reasonably priced options on AA. PHL-MIA is available from $162 roundtrip ($70 more for main cabin) on many Tue/Wed/Sat in September.
Not bad, and < $200 is probably a fair price to pay for AA Gold, considering the Plat challenge is about $500 and comes with MCE and Oneworld sapphire (lounges on another London trip)!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:34 pm

You could do it in 2 short segments if you fly Business because of the 2x multiplier for EQM. 2*(500+500)=2000. PHL-BOS for $330 in biz. Costs more but it’s short so you could spend less time and worry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.