Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA says my device show you have no status - no free snack

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by flyerCO
How does she know if card is valid or real? If you show up to gate, you cant show card and be upgraded. The system must show you as EXP. No different here. System correctly showed status. OP didn't bother to point out he switched seats. How hard is that?
Do you honestly believe there is an epidemic of falsified EXP cards out there? Presumably the card would have an expiration date which the FA could check if they cared to make the effort. I suppose it's possible that someone would go through the trouble of creating a fake EXP card and adding it to their Apple wallet just to have on hand for a free drink and snack on the odd AA flight but I can't imagine there are too many people who would go through the effort. And while you might not get upgraded you absolutely could show up to the gate with the card and get added to the upgrade list.

Additionally, the OP was seated right next to his assigned seat. While it could have made things easier to start the conversation with "oh, by the way, I switched seats" it also seems reasonable that if the middle seat on the FAs handheld was showing an EXP, the occupants of the row looked like a family, and the individual in the aisle mentions that they're an EXP that the FA could intuit that, quite possibly, there was a seat switch. How hard is that? If the handheld wasn't showing an EXP in the middle seat then it really doesn't matter if the OP switched seats or not.
flyalways and GrumpyYoungMan like this.

Last edited by IggySD; Aug 6, 2019 at 8:29 am
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Segments

According to the OP, the FA did provide the said benefit after showing ExP card. Question from
OP was regarding fixing the status not showing on the device.
According to the OP, the FA provided the benefit as a one time exception, not because the FA realized the OP had status and was, in fact, entitled to the benefit.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:10 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
If the FA was matching status to seat the OP's wife should have got a free snack, right?
The OP never told us whether or not she received the free snack.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by hbtr

All this talk about OP failing to disclose that he swapped seats is a red herring. While swapping seats might have been confusing to the FA at first, and certainly disclosing that fact might have alleviated the confusion, as soon as the OP showed his EXP card, there should have been nothing more for the FA to figure out. OP met the requirements for the stated benefit and should have received said benefit. Period.
And that's exactly what happened, at least according to the OP.

There's nothing to indicate to the FA that the OP only swapped one seat across. It could have been that the whole family moved to be seated together (swapping with pax in other rows).

The original EXP could have been anywhere.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Do we really need all the accusations of “trolling”, the OP asked a simple question and clarified it when asked. Sometimes it’s like a Ryanair flight to Prague in here.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Segments

According to the OP, the FA did provide the said benefit after showing ExP card. Question from
OP was regarding fixing the status not showing on the device.
Not exactly:

Originally Posted by phillieyogi
I then showed my EXP "card" from apple wallet and she continued to say "well according to my device you don't but this one time I will let you.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
How does she know if card is valid or real?
Seriously? There are certainly ways to check - I would probably ask for the boarding pass if it mattered to me - but if people aren’t going to believe the card then why bother issuing them in the first place?

The system must show you as EXP. No different here. System correctly showed status. OP didn't bother to point out he switched seats. How hard is that?
And the FA - the person responsible for delivering the service in question - could have asked if he had switched seats, especially after observing that the name on his EXP card didn’t match the name on the device. How hard is that?

People change seats all the time. FA should act like they never saw it happen before.
deeruck and flyalways like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I'm looking at the thread title:
Given this is based on seat number the device was accurate in it indication (presumably the OP's wife had no status, or least not EXP.)

I would have conveyed to the FA at the first point (even as requesting) of contact that they had swapped seats.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
Something similar happened to me where the FA's handheld didn't show my status, but the other FA saw it on hers. We were all confused, but I definitely saw that it didn't display. Strange!
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Talk about a storm in a teacup! I am also not in the least surprised that the OP has given up considering a lot of the responses on here. At the end of the day the OP was prima facie entitled to a free snack because of their status, irrespective (in my view) of whether the FA's PDA showed the correct colour square for their seat. As for why it didn't, maybe the FA hadn't loaded / refreshed it with the current flight's manifest? Who knows? Who cares?

As an aside, what if the OP had hypothetically put - say - their BA or CX number in the booking and that didn't entitle them to a free snack (being only Sapphire and not Emerald) but, as an EXP, they could still ask for one by virtue of their direct AA status and show their card? That's a perfectly plausible reason for what could have happened (irrespective of whether it did or didn't in reality).

As for seat swapping, I don't see what that brings to the party. I have swapped seats before and when the person in my assigned seat asked for a drink the FA said "Oh, you're not Mr. Geordie405" (as the reason I'd swapped was to allow a mother to sit with her kids) at which point I was able to say "No, I'm here" and (because I'm generous) said that she could have my complimentary drink anyway.

There really is a tendency to treat a lot of OPs on here with way too much suspicion and assume there's some ulterior motive to their post / question. There's a lot of very useful advice available here and a lot of people go out of their way to help others but there's also the extreme opposite with accusatory, demeaning and downright hostile posts which doesn't do the forum any favours.
flyalways and GrumpyYoungMan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.