Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA says my device show you have no status - no free snack

Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver

Hello FT
Earlier this week while traveling back from summer vacation using award travel, I asked a FA what snack they had as it is included in as being EXP. The FA replied "you don't have any status that I see so no free snack." I then showed my EXP "card" from apple wallet and she continued to say "well according to my device you don't but this one time I will let you. You should get that fixed." I asked who should I call. "Well I don't know I am not an EXP or IT person." Has anyone had an issue of their status not showing up while on board? If so what did you do and who can I call?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Did your boarding pass show you as EXP? Is it possible that your AA FFN was not on the reservation?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:45 am

Doggie needs all the snack revenue he can get.
deeruck, brewdog11, alggag and 8 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Are you 100% sure you were in the right seat? Did you have the GA change seats at the last minute? Did you change your seat in the app right before boarding or anytime the same day of the flight?
JDiver, Zacnlinc, arlflyer and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:07 pm

How dare you. NO SOUP FOR YOU!
tlglenn, CodeAdam10, 355F1 and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by phillieyogi
Hello FT
Earlier this week while traveling back from summer vacation using award travel, I asked a FA what snack they had as it is included in as being EXP. The FA replied "you don't have any status that I see so no free snack." I then showed my EXP "card" from apple wallet and she continued to say "well according to my device you don't but this one time I will let you. You should get that fixed." I asked who should I call. "Well I don't know I am not an EXP or IT person." Has anyone had an issue of their status not showing up while on board? If so what did you do and who can I call?
Gotta hand it to the FA for the audacity to add that one-liner in there. Other than the other good advice that others have mentioned, I probably wouldn't call anyone unless you find this to be a recurring issue.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Send a short note to AA. Leave out the irrelevant detail. Simple question is why you did not show as EXP on the FA's handheld.

A good time to start this thread would be if AA does not respond to your satisfaction. Until then, this is really about not that much.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Garbage airline....move on
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I posted this thread because I wanted to know if it was even worth contacting the airline. Yes my FF# was on the boarding pass and four of us on one record were traveling together. I know this too because I was group 2 and the rest of the family was 5. I was one seat over from my assigned seat as I gave my wife the aisle and I took the middle so don't think it was that either. I will wait for my next trip and see if it happens again.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by phillieyogi
I posted this thread because I wanted to know if it was even worth contacting the airline. Yes my FF# was on the boarding pass and four of us on one record were traveling together. I know this too because I was group 2 and the rest of the family was 5. I was one seat over from my assigned seat as I gave my wife the aisle and I took the middle so don't think it was that either. I will wait for my next trip and see if it happens again.
If you were not in your assigned seat then why would you expect the FA device to recognize your status?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Segments
If you were not in your assigned seat then why would you expect the FA device to recognize your status?
Yep...from an official perspective that is the answer...that being said I have had FAs who can put 1+1 together when I have had a seat change and I show them my BP or status card...does not sound like OP was dealing with a star performer here.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
So, you showed your wallet EXP card, you showed your BP, and fine you switched seats with your wife, I have done that plenty of times, no issue.
The FA (sorry to other FA's that are well educated and very nice) needs to be reported. They are not doing their job.
I would not be happy, for a benefit that EXP are entitled too, not being exercised.
What is wrong with some of the FA these days? (I mean do they get a commission for the amount of snacks left in a basket after a trip?)
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
This is on the OP, not the FA.

OP failed to mention in his first post that he swapped seats with his wife, and apparently made no mention of this to the FA. If had mentioned it, Im sure the FA device would have shown his wife sitting in an ExP assigned seat. Instead he went to blaming IT.

Is the OP trolling us or did he try and get a free snack for himself as ExP and also his non-status wife who was sitting in his assigned seat?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Segments
This is on the OP, not the FA.
You know, I was originally 100% in your camp but am now convincing myself otherwise haha. The program rules are such that the benefit is conveyed by virtue of status, not by seat. And I am not aware of any rules saying that pax within a party or otherwise cannot voluntarily switch seats - alas, if there was, FAs would be guilty of having people break it all the time. So if a passenger can prove status, I am not aware of grounds for denying the benefit.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime PLT, Marriott Ambassador
From a control and admin side of this, I would also side with the FA. Otherwise, this would be a way to double down on the free food and drinks. The EXP switches seats with a non-status passenger. The FA comes by and gives the benefits to the assigned seat of the EXP. AND the EXP in a different seats perceives the benefits by nature of presenting his card. I am not saying that happened here, but it could help explain why the FAs are reluctant to give benefits when the changing has gone on, regardless of the reason for the change. This very relevant data point was left out of the original posting.

To answer the question posed, I have never had my status not show up. But I am not sure that happened here either. I would bet the status DID show up ... though for the OP's original seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.