Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

4 hours connection time different tickets (protection)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 hours connection time different tickets (protection)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Last Sunday I was flying PHX/MIA and the flight was forced to return to PHX (after spending over 3 hours burning fuel in which time it could have nearly made it to MIA-but that's another story). As a result I was over night by AA and scheduled to fly PHX/LAX/MIA the next day,, Monday (only way to get home). That next day I had a MIA/ORD flight for work which I could not make. Without any issue the AC staff changed the Monday afternoon MIA/ORD flight to Tuesday AM.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:28 am

AA may have this policy, but getting an agent to abide by it is very much hit and miss. Like many things, it depends on who you get.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:04 am

Just confirming...

Originally Posted by Often1
AA, unlike other carriers, protects across separate tickets. It does so AA-OW (which, of course, includes AA).
If I read this correctly AA protects to separate OW ticket as well? So my ORD- LHR-NRT trip which is set up as two R/T tickets AA (ORD - LHR) and BA (LHR-NRT) with the BA trip commencing about 7 hours after I arrive in LHR on my AA ticket, this would also be protected should my AA leg into LHR be so late as to miss my BA flight to NRT?

Last edited by chfenton; Jul 29, 2019 at 9:05 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chfenton
If I read this correctly AA protects to separate OW ticket as well? So my ORD- LHR-NRT trip which is set up as two R/T tickets AA (ORD - LHR) and BA (LHR-NRT) with the BA trip commencing about 7 hours after I arrive in LHR on my AA ticket, this would also be protected should my AA leg into LHR be so late as to miss my BA flight to NRT?
Yes
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, as is noted repeatedly above: AA-OW which, of course includes AA.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bse118
HKG-LAX-ORD-LHR-MUC: 13,544 miles
HKG-MUC (LH nonstop): 5,614 miles

Ouch! That's a brutal day. Hope you are in J.
It is brutal. I would have done HKG to Europe, but HKG was booked almost a year ago and MUC just came up and it's personal so on my dime!
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
What word best describes what one is doing other than connecting?

I have had agents push back before as I fly often connecting between separate tickets.
Say that you have an “onward ticket” instead of connecting flight.

Last edited by ntamayo; Aug 2, 2019 at 11:39 am Reason: wrong reference to MUC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.