Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Pending BA Strike - Effect on AA Mileage Award Ticket (Aug 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Heathrow strikes 5/6th August 2019

I have an AA ticketed flight out of Heathrow on Monday morning. Anyone know if there is any official policy on rebooking on safer days? I have a tight connection which won’t survive a delay, and want to shift that out proactively.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: AA
Click "Travel Alerts" in red about mid-way down the home page where it says:

Industrial action - London, United Kingdom

Information current as of August 1, 2019

If you’re traveling to / through / from:

• London Heathrow, London, United Kingdom (LHR)

Your change fee may be waived if you:

• Are traveling on an American Airlines or British Airways flight
  • Bought your ticket by August 1, 2019
  • Are scheduled to travel August 5 - 6, 2019
  • Can travel August 1 - 12, 2019
  • Don't change your origin or destination city
  • Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:48 am

I'm currently scheduled on BA for my return from Europe on Aug 18th - purchased with AA miles during the recent sale. If the BA strike happens, what are my options to preserve a first class seat and still get back to Philadelphia? Visions of getting dumped in economy and given $5 are dancing through my head right now.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
No strike dates have been called yet and they need to give at least 14 days notice, so I wouldn't worry about this until after the weekend. In fact if they don't make an announcement before 5pm (BST - 3 hours from now) I think it would be unlikely that anything will change until Monday and you would be in the clear then.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:24 am

Perfect - thank you. You're probably right about the notice. Will watch attentively this morning.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may want to monitor this thread from the BA board which will be updated with any strike dates/timings if one goes ahead and with BA's rules for rerouting/rebooking. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ed-pilots.html
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are connecting to/from a BA flight be aware of this policy including reduced hand baggage limits. Sounds like Fast Track may be closed at T3 so plan accordingly.

Originally Posted by rjn21
Industrial action by workers of Heathrow Airport Holdings Ltd (HAL) is planned for Monday 5
thand Tuesday 6
th
August 2019.

Latest Information
  • We’re working closely with Heathrow Airport to minimise the inconvenience caused
  • A review of our operation will take place on Sunday 4
    th
    August
  • Airport affected is LHR not LGW or LCY
  • Situation is affecting all airlines operating at Heathrow
For Departing customers:
  • The number of security lanes will be reduced
  • Fast Track (T3/T5) and the First Wing (T5) will be closed
  • We advise customers to arrive in good time for their flight as we expect that it will take longer to pass through Security
  • Customers will be able to take one small personal item of carry-on baggage through Security which must fit under their seat
  • All larger items, including trolley bags will need to be checked-in
  • We advise customers to consolidate their belongings as we expect to be transporting more checked bags than usual
  • Hand baggage restriction also applies for customers on HBO fares, they will need to check-in bags that would normally go in overhead locker
For Connecting customers:

· Same hand baggage restrictions apply as above

· Customers will need to check-in larger hand-baggage from their departure point and this will be tagged for through check-in

Inflight Catering
  • Delays are expected for catering vans reaching the aircraft
  • Following Shorthaul services will have reduced catering proposition in both directions:
    • ABZ, AMS, BHD, BLL, BRU, BSL, CDG, DUB, DUS, EDI, FRA, GLA, GVA, HAJ, HAM, INV, LBA, LUX, LYS, MAN, MPL, NCL, NTE, STR, TLS, TXL, ZRH
  • Club Europe customers - Light Refreshment Vouchers (LRV’s) will be offered at the airport/onboard tea/coffee, water, muffins/flapjacks will be provided
  • Euro Traveller - Buy on Board (BOB) will not be available, customers will be offered complementary tea/coffee, water, biscuits
Advice to agents
  • Customers on flights departing on both strike days are being emailed now with the information on hand baggage restrictions
  • Please advise any customer travelling on affected Shorthaul flights regarding the reduced catering proposition (add a remark into the booking)
  • Ba.com now updated with information, including FAQ’s on the baggage restrictions, see Latest Travel News
​​​​​​​
JDiver and Zigzagdc like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Talks are continuing into next week so flights on the weekend of the 17th/18th are now safe, from the pilots strike at least.
JDiver, wrp96 and Zigzagdc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.