Wiki Posts
Search

AA & Weather Waivers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
AA & Weather Waivers

Hi all, I'm normally a DL flyer but based on a couple destinations I need to get to where ST doesn't fly, I'm hanging out with y'all a bit over the next few months! I also happened to be targeted for a Platinum Pro offer which I should have no trouble hitting.

I have a flight tomorrow through ORD and noticed that UA issued a waiver today for storms. I'm curious if AA generally follows suit on things like this or they end up taking a back seat. A waiver would allow for a more favorable flight routing right now.

Any anecdotes would be helpful--thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
You need to check aa.com for any weather waivers. Usually it only allows you to change travel dates within a certain range not routing. Free of charge alternative routings are typically only granted if the actual flight cancels. I'm in the very, very crowded ORD AC and luckily the sun has finally reappeared.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
You need to check aa.com for any weather waivers. Usually it only allows you to change travel dates within a certain range not routing. Free of charge alternative routings are typically only granted if the actual flight cancels. I'm in the very, very crowded ORD AC and luckily the sun has finally reappeared.
Hmm. But practically is there any difference? "I want to change my travel to fly July 19 instead of July 19, and the flight's I'd like happen to connect through a different airport." I don't think there's a requirement that you switch to travel on a different day as long as it's before the end of the range.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jordyn
Hmm. But practically is there any difference? "I want to change my travel to fly July 19 instead of July 19, and the flight's I'd like happen to connect through a different airport." I don't think there's a requirement that you switch to travel on a different day as long as it's before the end of the range.
IME you can change travel to a different date with an end date (for example if travel was booked for 7/19 and 7/20 you can switch anytime through 7/26). Usually you are required to keep the same routing unless on the chosen day one of the flights is not flying (some flights aren't scheduled for Tuesdays and Wednesdays). You could call ask for an exemption.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CGNC
Hi all, I'm normally a DL flyer but based on a couple destinations I need to get to where ST doesn't fly, I'm hanging out with y'all a bit over the next few months! I also happened to be targeted for a Platinum Pro offer which I should have no trouble hitting.

I have a flight tomorrow through ORD and noticed that UA issued a waiver today for storms. I'm curious if AA generally follows suit on things like this or they end up taking a back seat. A waiver would allow for a more favorable flight routing right now.

Any anecdotes would be helpful--thanks!
Airlines don’t coordinate their OSO weather waivers etc. so it’s a bit haphazard. In the meantime, check the Wikipost at the top of the page in our “sticky” thread, IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread).
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:30 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

This is a YMMV situation but from experience AA isn’t as flexible with routing changes like UA and DL unless your flight cancels. Of course there are some agents out there that might jump through the hoops for you, but I would lower your expectations.

Routing restrictions is a huge sore point for me not just for weather delays but same day flight changes or an anticipated potential delay (I.e. inbound aircraft is significantly delayed).

I long for the day when AA will finally loosen this restriction. Might be never.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
This is a YMMV situation but from experience AA isn’t as flexible with routing changes like UA and DL unless your flight cancels.
Which is just dumb. The point of issuing waivers is for the airline to ease their service recovery by getting ahead of things by routing patients through unaffected hubs that have unused capacity. Defeats the purpose if you don't allow routing changes, which might explain why AA takes forever to recover from any weather events.
jordyn likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
This is a YMMV situation but from experience AA isn’t as flexible with routing changes like UA and DL unless your flight cancels. Of course there are some agents out there that might jump through the hoops for you, but I would lower your expectations.

Routing restrictions is a huge sore point for me not just for weather delays but same day flight changes or an anticipated potential delay (I.e. inbound aircraft is significantly delayed).

I long for the day when AA will finally loosen this restriction. Might be never.
I have never had AA deny a routing change during a weather waiver. That is the entire point...

​​​​​
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Which is just dumb. The point of issuing waivers is for the airline to ease their service recovery by getting ahead of things by routing patients through unaffected hubs that have unused capacity. Defeats the purpose if you don't allow routing changes, which might explain why AA takes forever to recover from any weather events.
Patients is right.

I'm sick from flying AA; I'm sick of flying AA; I'm sick for still flying AA.
Uzzar and enpremiere like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Yeah, that's just beyond stupid. What's the point of requiring people to route through an already over-burdened hub?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
What I've found with AA is that in IRROPs the online change options do tend to stick to original routing, but if you call in, agents usually are willing to reroute. I wish AA had a more robust online change system, one that would recognize the difference between a normal same day change (where you do have to stick to the same routing) and one caused by a weather waiver, which should allow choice of routing.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:42 am
Suspended

I've had TAs deny me a re-route for example through a different hub for free. I've been told only if my original flight cancels. I know when I look at the options online anything other than the original routing on a different day within the allowed time span requires additional $$$. Yes it would make sense to allow flexibility to change ahead of time so that if cancellations do occur AA doesn't get slammed-and thus the very long phone wait times.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Well, didn't see any waivers so came to airport to make the flight. Of course I am on hour #2 of delay, and for what reason, I can't tell, but it doesn't appear to be weather in ORD. Will be interesting to see how this works out--but I'm learning quickly that DL is miles ahead of AA when it comes to IRROPS and giving passengers options to handle when things don't quite go as planned.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.