Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What Can You Do if an AAgent Misinforms You?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Can You Do if an AAgent Misinforms You?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:17 pm

Not saying that he was the sharpest crayon in the box, but really: If you buy a non-refundable round-trip ticket, you OUGHT to be entitled to use either or both segments.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lupine
Not saying that he was the sharpest crayon in the box, but really: If you buy a non-refundable round-trip ticket, you OUGHT to be entitled to use either or both segments.
That's an entirely different can of worms. Much different issue than the blog post.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I agree - as long as it is a ticket made up of 2 x one way fares. Shouldn't be penalised for having them in a single booking
If it is a round trip fare, then see no reason why someone OUGHT to ro be able to just use the inbound sector
USFlyerUS likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
In many cases, it is less expensive to buy a ticket with a connection less than the cost for a nonstop to the connection point or from the connection point.
I noticed this a bit when looking at flying to Buenos Aires. It is possible to fly MIA-EZE-MIA for less than flying DFW-EZE-DFW, even if the ticket to / from Miami includes at connection at DFW.
There are multiple reasons for this, one being non stop trips re generally considered more attractive than with connections. Additionally, if you are going to connect to a destination there are more airline options. Increased competition lowers the price.
If you could dump any segment and keep the remaining, people would simply buy the lower fare ticket. Tickets are sold point to point. The rules for basic economy permit the ticket to be used as purchased or it has no value. The difference between a Basic Economy ticket and an economy ticket are what distinguishes the value of the tickets. If there were no differences, the airline wouldn't be able to sell higher priced tickets. By taking the lower price offer, you agree to give up benefits. It is important to understand what they are before buying the ticket.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mvoight
In many cases, it is less expensive to buy a ticket with a connection less than the cost for a nonstop to the connection point or from the connection point.
I noticed this a bit when looking at flying to Buenos Aires. It is possible to fly MIA-EZE-MIA for less than flying DFW-EZE-DFW, even if the ticket to / from Miami includes at connection at DFW.
There are multiple reasons for this, one being non stop trips re generally considered more attractive than with connections. Additionally, if you are going to connect to a destination there are more airline options. Increased competition lowers the price.
If you could dump any segment and keep the remaining, people would simply buy the lower fare ticket. Tickets are sold point to point. The rules for basic economy permit the ticket to be used as purchased or it has no value. The difference between a Basic Economy ticket and an economy ticket are what distinguishes the value of the tickets. If there were no differences, the airline wouldn't be able to sell higher priced tickets. By taking the lower price offer, you agree to give up benefits. It is important to understand what they are before buying the ticket.
While you’re not wrong, this entire byzantine system is imposed by the airline. Airlines have not made themselves easy to do business with. Should an average customer really have to concern themselves with 17 pages of fare rules and familiarizing themselves with things like no show policies all on their own, just to buy transportation? It’s a crap customer experience, and one put in place for the sole benefit of airlines who want to squeeze every last penny out of every single customer. Now, this guy is enough of a bozo that it’s hard to take him seriously, but plenty of other people get caught in this trap too, and they have a point.

If a customer has a 3-leg multi-city trip, and an agent tells them they can’t change the first leg because it’s basic economy, and that same agent books them a new flight instead, it should be clear to the agent that the customer is planning to skip the existing first leg. The agent should know the customer still wants to fly legs 2 and 3 because they didn’t ask to change them. It is the agent’s job to obtain the customer‘s desired itinerary and sell the appropriate ticket. Advising the customer of the no-show policy and the impact to the remainder of the existing ticket is a basic expectation. This agent either sold the guy a ticket knowing it did not meet his needs and failed to make him aware, or the agent did not know about the no-show policy. Neither is acceptable.
justforfun, lupine, Gerbs and 2 others like this.

Last edited by javabytes; Jul 18, 2019 at 2:58 am
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I have no sympathy for the blog poster. You can't no show for the first leg and expect the rest of the flights to remain as-is. It's been this way for decades. Hotels are no different. If you no show on the first night, your reservation is cancelled unless you've called to make a change.

We also only got one side of the story. None of us were on the call with the agent or have heard a recording of the call. I would want to hear this call before saying the agent failed in some way. Given the rant in the blog post, my hunch is the agent tried to explain this and he refused to listen.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I agree - as long as it is a ticket made up of 2 x one way fares. Shouldn't be penalised for having them in a single booking
If it is a round trip fare, then see no reason why someone OUGHT to ro be able to just use the inbound sector
Does any airline treat it this way, or is it universal that all remaining segments in a ticket (or locator?) are cancelled?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
So here's the thing. He paid $1300 for the original flights, 3 weeks in advance. His total for the rebooked close-in flights was $500 + $1400 = $1900.

When he had called to rebook, if that agent had been completely clear that his whole reservation would be canceled, the end result would have been about the same. He'd still be out at least $1300 and likely close to $1900, and still be .....ing about it on his blog.
iadisgreat likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by deeruck
Does any airline treat it this way, or is it universal that all remaining segments in a ticket (or locator?) are cancelled?
As a window on what can happen, German law requires that carriers offer tickets which need not be flown in segment-issued order. Thus, those tickets are available. They are vastly more expensive than "standard" tickets. Spanish courts have recently required the same.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by javabytes

If a customer has a 3-leg multi-city trip, and an agent tells them they can’t change the first leg because it’s basic economy, and that same agent books them a new flight instead, it should be clear to the agent that the customer is planning to skip the existing first leg. The agent should know the customer still wants to fly legs 2 and 3 because they didn’t ask to change them. It is the agent’s job to obtain the customer‘s desired itinerary and sell the appropriate ticket. Advising the customer of the no-show policy and the impact to the remainder of the existing ticket is a basic expectation. This agent either sold the guy a ticket knowing it did not meet his needs and failed to make him aware, or the agent did not know about the no-show policy. Neither is acceptable.
In the full blog post the blogger mentions that he booked his new flight on his own not on the phone with the agent. The agent most likely mentioned that he needed to buy a new ticket, which the blogger assumed to be just a new flight from DCA to DFW and not a entirely new ticket. I do agree the agent should have been more clear with the policy of no showing.
javabytes likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
I stopped reading at "I booked a ticket to a wedding but didn't know what time the wedding was." I'm sorry but what?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I have no sympathy for the blog poster. You can't no show for the first leg and expect the rest of the flights to remain as-is. It's been this way for decades. Hotels are no different. If you no show on the first night, your reservation is cancelled unless you've called to make a change.

We also only got one side of the story. None of us were on the call with the agent or have heard a recording of the call. I would want to hear this call before saying the agent failed in some way. Given the rant in the blog post, my hunch is the agent tried to explain this and he refused to listen.
A key difference here is that many hotels, at least in the major chains, will allow free cancellation up until 24-48 hours in advance unless you chose a non-refundable rate. The difference between refundable and non-refundable hotel rates is considerably less than the difference between refundable and non-refundable airfare, and thus refundable hotel reservations are accessible to far more people. And most importantly, while a hotel will cancel the rest of your refundable reservation in case of a no-show, they typically only charge you for the one night you missed. So you’re not royally screwed, and can just book yourself another hotel for any remaining nights without being out extra cash.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by deeruck
Southwest LOL. I made a similar mistake back in the day on AA. I did an open jaw ORD->LAX->LAS->ORD and put the return leg a week after it was supposed to be. I called between 48-72 hours and was told to pound sand because it was beyond the 24h change window. Instead of fighting I asked the agent how they would feel if they were in my shoes and they said they would be willing to split the change fee and let me fly home out of LAX because the flight price was cheaper.

Lessons learned:
-Be accountable
-Be polite
-Be realistic
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by no1cub17
I stopped reading at "I booked a ticket to a wedding but didn't know what time the wedding was." I'm sorry but what?
Also judging by the tone of the author of the blog post - I would imagine he was in attack mode and wasn't listening. BUT how many of us on here call and get three different answers to the same question?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AAdamE
Southwest LOL.
Good reminder. Have previously benefited from WN's generous policy myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.